Center Parcs

Updated November 27, 2014
3.9

Center Parcs Chief Executive Martin Dalby
Martin Dalby

Positive remuneration and work/ life balance but inefficient management

I have been working at Center Parcs as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Managers were friendly and approachable, and there was a positive work atmosphere. Remuneration was good (based on short-term contract work) and so was the work/life balance.

Cons

At times management seemed to be inefficient with communication difficulties between middle- and upprer-management. This lead to unclear work assignments and obstacles in getting work done to a high standard.

Worst Job Ever

Current Employee - House Keeper in Woburn, England (UK)
    Current Employee - House Keeper in Woburn, England (UK)

I have been working at Center Parcs part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lovely working environment... met some wonderful friends, and guests.
    Plenty of perks, but having the energy and time to use the, I would rather of had a higher rate of pay.

Cons

Expected to work and complete with lack of staff, dirty job, germs and illnesses not deal with correctly.
    Spoken to like an idiot and not an employee. H.O.D's do not have time or consideration for their staff. Generally needs looking at my Health and Safety.
    Housekeeping staff always get the brunt of the Guests, due to other departments failing miserably.
    Slave Labour......
    All round, would not consider recommending anyone working in Housekeeping Department... NO....!!!!

Give your H.O.D's some training on how to deal with Staff, and speak to them with the respect they deserve. Or may I ask you to try doing the job yourself, under very stressful circumstances.
    Be aware that there are huge problems at your Parc, eventually everyone is going to end up leaving, as I am aware there has already been a staff turnover of 75% since the Parc opened in Woburn...!!!!

It's all about the money.

Current Employee - Outdoor Activity Instructor in Elveden, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Outdoor Activity Instructor in Elveden, England (UK)

I have been working at Center Parcs as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best reasons are few and far between. When I started my zero hour contract around 5 years ago, I couldn't ask for more. The days were busy but enjoyable. Guest satisfaction was high and I loved the people I worked with. Management couldn't be faulted either. They had a fine line between making money and valuing staff.
    Nowadays, I go for the money which is ok too say the least, I won't be buying a holiday home anytime soon but I can get by happily.
    The people I work with are great, aside from the few who don't toe the line too well and the benefits are excellent. Day passes and money off? How could I say no too that. Don't get me wrong here... While being negative to some extent, I don't hate working at center Parcs. In sense that I don't hate day time drinking; doesn't mean I should do it though.

Cons

Like my title states. 'It's all about the money'. In 5 years I have seen session sizes nearly double. Using the same equipment, same amount of instructors and keeping the prices the same, if not raising some. The guests are already paying enough as it is to stay at center Parcs and take part in the activities, now the activities are less personal with the instructors not having the conversation that was possible on a smaller session and much more waiting around. This is definately reflected in guest feedback but while people continue paying, nothing will change.

New instructors seem too be younger and less experienced every time... I don't conduct interviews although I have in another job. I don't see all the applications and I have nothing against employing young people with no experience very much how I started work at center Parcs. What I do dislike however, is that immature 16 year olds are getting jobs who just think about the money and don't do their job. A day is ten times harder having too pick up after someone too lazy to make an effort. As far as I was concerned, part of our job was too make the guests have a good stay. Well sitting on your phone through a session isn't the best image too get off; but maybe I am wrong? At the end of the day, no matter what you say top management, nothing changes.

Equipment has corners being cut all the time. If something cheaper comes out, then that will be what we have. Wether it makes a session harder or not doesn't matter because we have just beaten our target. Well try being the instructors.

What I'm trying too say, is that we work harder days, too make more money, from less satisfied guests, with below standard equipment. Or there abouts.

The best advice I can give too management? Stop looking at the money so much! Yes I appreciate its a business and the end goal for everything is money, right? But one day, it will go too far. Listen too instructors. My manager values no ones opinions where I work. He couldn't care about what we think. So long as we can 'blag' any problems we have. My supervisor however 'grew from the ranks' per se. And she is the only person holding the place together for us. How can I respect my manager when I never see him do anything? Meetings? Seems to be at them every day. Pigs will fly the day he actually runs a session. But it's ok. He brought cake in too work once.
    I speak for over 50% of the people of work with in the opinions I have voiced. Worst of all, it's nothing that I havnt already tried to voice too managers. The amount of times I have heard, 'make it a good session because we have some boss people coming down' is just rediculous. Shouldn't all sessions be run too the best standard possible?
    Start talking too the people at the bottom. The instructors including is zero hour guys that work more than any part timers and sometimes as much as full timers. Hope you've enjoyed the honesty.

It was good place to work for most time

Former Employee - Housekeeping
    Former Employee - Housekeeping

I worked at Center Parcs part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I best thing was working with Friend and make new Friend have sum good days there

Cons

Try run team with no staff

Just help you staff out when they need you

Great company and on the right track customer service wise.

Former Employee - Retail Supervisor in Penrith, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Retail Supervisor in Penrith, England (UK)

I worked at Center Parcs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discounts, free activities which was great if you had children, fantastic environment and beautiful surroundings everyday.

Cons

The work roster wasn't all that great and rent prices quite high for employees

Your youth development programme was great and your ideas then on copying Disney and their customer service guidelines was spot on.

Great Company to work for with a strong brand identity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Center Parcs part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic staff benefits such as free day passes, discounts on shops and restaurants, discounted holidays.
    Good opportunities for career progression if you work hard
    There's a lot of investment in training and development
    Most staff are genuinely friendly
    I like what the culture and values stand for

Cons

The company can sometimes be slow to react due to the hierarchy

Good communication with the team is key to success

Change is good

Current Employee - Waiter in Penrith, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Waiter in Penrith, England (UK)

I have been working at Center Parcs part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very competitive wages plenty of opportunity to progress and very convenient + plenty of venues of different kinds which allow all kinds of people to find a job which best suits them

Cons

There anrent many cons really

Keep up the good work

I love being a part of this amazing brand.

Current Employee - Manager in Mansfield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Mansfield, England (UK)

I have been working at Center Parcs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a fantastic place to work with so many colleagues who are passionate about what we do. If you want it there are lots of career development opportunities, and so many great benefits too.

Cons

We never stand still, always trying to improve, so you need to be able to stand the pace - other than that there are no cons.

More than pleasant experience

Current Employee - Food and Beverage Assistant in Bedford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Food and Beverage Assistant in Bedford, England (UK)

I have been working at Center Parcs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

staff benefits, flexibility, career & personal development, no day is the same and you cant fault anything they stand for

Cons

a lot of training, 2 day induction includes training and then online training once being offered the job

I have been working at Center Parcs

Pros

We get discounted breaks, 25% off, and once a year can have a 60% discounted educational break which I have used every year I have been working here and it's been great because have visited other center Parc villages, we have always stayed a week and had an executive villa because the savings are amazing. We get day passes so can bring friends and family in when we want to. Good discount in the shops and restaurants, the environment is beautiful and the staff are lovely.

Cons

Can be a demanding job as gets very busy at times so pressure is on to give constant excellent service but I think we achieve this as we have a good team.

Center Parcs Photos

Center Parcs (Photo thanks to Flickr user Gordon McKinlay, Some Rights Reserved)
Center Parcs - Domaine des 3 Forêts (Photo thanks to Flickr user Moselle Tourisme, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo