Center for American Progress

Be The First To
Add Photos

Center for American Progress President & CEO Neera Tanden

Neera Tanden

Intellectually stimulating, financially lacking.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe interns get really close, lots of fun like-minded people and future leaders. It's a well respected place and the internship program is excellently handled. The culture is one of progress and you can tell people love what they do, no drones here. So many events, networking ops, and happy hours! CAP literally hands you a social life!

ConsEven as an intern you can see there is a problem with high turnover, but that seems pretty typical in politics and could be a positive if you're an intern looking to step into an entry-level job. Pay is weak, you'd expect a progressive place advocating for a higher min wage to pay their interns at least that...
    Work can sometimes be slow, depending on your department.

Advice to Senior ManagementA stipend is an excuse to pay below min. wage. Do better, CAP.

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsConstantly surrounded by leaders in the progressive field. very motivated, diverse, experienced group of progressives. revolving door with capitol hill and the white house. strong intern program featuring brown bag lunches, local events, happy hours, etc. fun and highly rewarding internship!

Conscompensation low, but that is part of what you get for working at a nonprofit think tank. keep in mind that it is a very liberal and politically charged area - only would recommend for those seeking that type of DC environment.

Great Internship

Economic Policy Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsFantastic staff
    good work load
    supported network for interns
    brown bags were great

Consweak stipend
    sometimes work would be slow

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Organization

Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood work environment. It's a fun place with a lot of young people. There are opportunities to get involved in things that you are interested in and learn new skills.

ConsDepartments vary a lot. Some have strong managers and some have very weak. Heavy turnover is a serious problem.

Great Experience

Economic Policy Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsPlace a lot of value on interns, plenty of project flexibility, care about the culture of the work environment

ConsHigh turnover so intern filter in and out throughout each season

Challenging Place to Work

Policy Professional (Former Employee)

ProsDynamic environment; interesting and challenging work; friendly co-workers

ConsPoor management; limited feedback; limited support and encouragement for employees.

Great people but limited interactions between employees and interns

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat learning experience; somewhat meaningful work; there are some really amazing people working there; interns get really close to each other; i enjoyed working for my supervisor.

ConsThere are too many interns, and it is very hard to get a return offer; very limited interactions between employees and interns

Advice to Senior ManagementMore social events

Structured internship with neat internship events but mediocre to good mentorship.

Policy Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood environment for interns as there are many interns and CAP has strong connections to different groups in D.C. which extend the community. Working at ThinkProgress is particularly exciting because you'll be published on a pretty widely read blog.

ConsWhile none of the interns had to grab coffee or anything, some of the interns were very much assistants and less research assistants.

Excellent experience with very motivated people who will make it very far in the world of politics.

Reporter/Blogger (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsExcellent network
    Good Training
    Fun culture
    You feel like you have really made an impact
    Blogging/editorial experience
    Research experience

ConsLow pay but a lot of opportunities that can pay in the long haul.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo real advice to management.

Amazing experience

Econ Pol Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat atmosphere all around. The econ policy team was amazing, I worked with very talented people.

ConsBad pay, they don't accommodate for international students.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your interns!

Worked for Center for American Progress? Contribute to the Community!