Center for Applied Linguistics

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014
2.9

CEO

Intern--somewhat isolated, but generally good experience

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Center for Applied Linguistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I got real autonomy over my work while an intern. Good opportunity to learn during lunch-time chats put on by colleagues.

Cons

High-walled cubicles made me feel a bit isolated. It was hard to interact with staff members who weren't directly supervising my work. It seems the organization is in a strange limbo between a small and large staff, so the company culture is a little funky at times.

Good company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Center for Applied Linguistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has great benefits and it located in an ideal location in DC, it is metro accessible and has some great places around to eat/shop. The staff is very friendly. This is the only company where I felt welcomed from all directions. I enjoyed talking to my co-workers and having lunch with them. Great work-life balance and you can work an early schedule or a late schedule if you want, depending on your manager.

Cons

Depending on your department, there is not a lot of knowledge passed down from management to mid-level employees. Moving up in the organization is not always easy either. Parking is horrible!

The departments operate so independently so departments do not always know what each other is doing, there needs to be a way to changes this. There are also a lot of meetings for higher management, and not a lot comes out of those meetings.

Good cause, good people, poor management and room for growth

I have been working at Center for Applied Linguistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Relaxed environment
    - Good amount of autonomy to do your work
    - Supervisors and project leads are easily accessible
    - Friendly coworkers

Cons

- Fluctuation in availability of work
    - Short contracted positions
    - Leadership seems absent at times

Open up communication with those working on the projects and ask for feedback. Don't ignore the underlings!

Good place to be if you want to work good hours, be around friendly people

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Center for Applied Linguistics as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly people, good hours, work-life balance.

Cons

The flip side of the pros: a lot of people did not seem incredibly dedicated to the job. Often the tasks for interns were somewhat tedious, did not learn a lot.

Not sure because I was only an intern

Committed to providing excellence products

I have been working at Center for Applied Linguistics

Pros

Most everyone is committed to doing their jobs well. The organization puts out some really well-thought out and thorough products of incredibly high quality.

Cons

Management doesn't always appreciate the unpaid overtime that's necessary to get the job done, nor are they willing to increase salaries appropriately. While managers are very kind and helpful, the bottom line is that the work/life balance isn't respected. I took time off for a family emergency and was told that I had to take work with me or else I couldn't take the time off. Realistically, a "thank you" only goes but so far when you work 5-10 hours of untime overtime a week.

Upper management is going through some changes and the organization has hit a financially difficult time, but mangement is not handling these changes well and it's evidenced by the amount of people leaving CAL. In the last year, about 10 or so people have left, and that's a lot considering there are only about 100 FT employees.

It's such a small organization that the only way to move up is when someone leaves, otherwise expect to stay in the same position for a while.

Respect and help foster employees' work/life balance.