Center for Disability Rights

Updated September 29, 2014
Updated September 29, 2014
2.7

Bruce Darling

Great experience once a client was found.

Former Employee - Personal Care Aide in Canandaigua, NY
    Former Employee - Personal Care Aide in Canandaigua, NY

I worked at Center for Disability Rights part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved the person I got the chance to work for. You ultimately get to choose your own hours and level of care you are giving.

Cons

Hard to find work even when there are so many people who need help.

Better communication throughout departments, more fax lines!

There are better places to work, only come here if there is nothing else.

Current Employee - CDR Staff
    Current Employee - CDR Staff

I have been working at Center for Disability Rights full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Staff really do want to make a difference, a great place to learn more about the value and necessity of rights for people with disabilities.

If you are an activist they give you plenty of opportunities to work in protests which is always fun. A number of the staff have been arrested in protests a few times for their protest tactics. CDR is serious about activism.

Cons

Management is atrocious. There is quite a bit of nepotism on the part of the board, so nothing really gets improved. CDR has a (well-deserved) reputation for being unprofessional, and authoritarian (to the point of tyrannical).

People are constantly miserable, due to the lack of respect given to staff. The previous review of "Constantly made to feel incompetent, even in front of other people" is VERY true, I've seen my supervisor disrespected by the CEO a few times, which is very embarrassing for everyone involved. The lack of training/professional development and turnover (which never gets addressed, I didn't even know one of the managers quit until 6 months after the fact... ridiculous. He wasn't in my department, but it is a prime example of the lack of communication here) is frustrating. I have been here for a short while and things used to be bearable, but it definitely got worse after the COO quit. People quit or get fired if they don't "fall in line with the regime", which leaves a lot of staff who have been here for years and are submissive and terrified, or who lack skills to find a job elsewhere. This all adds to the very desperate nature of the company culture. For all the "bonding" and "fun" that supposedly takes place, it's a pretty sad place to work.

I am looking for work outside of CDR, and I know many colleagues who are hoping to leave as well. I have worked here for a few years; I love the people here and my colleagues, and the radical mission of this organization. But I am at the end of my rope, this sense of fear that is pervasive (management can be extremely petty and defensive if you get on the wrong side of them, and they are well connected around the country. So everyone is scared to say something, for fear of not being able to work in disability rights again elsewhere), and the general misery that is here is pushing me out.

There needs to be an increase in accountability on the part of the board (which seems to be filled with yes-men and yes-women). Although in the past there were board members who may challenge management, they get pushed out. So the people left on the board are highly permissive of bad behavior and lack the ability to hold management accountable since they are all friends with management.

There also needs to be better communication from management to staff. We have regular staff meetings where we waste time talking about nothing, but the real questions and real issues people want to discuss doesn't get addressed. There is a cloud of mystery shrouded over everything, and no one knows what is going on. This leads to a lot of office gossip and distrust of management. Communicate in a sincere way and address uncomfortable issues head-on.

A frustrating experience

I worked at Center for Disability Rights full-time

Pros

Very compassionate and knowledgable colleagues. CDR does excellent work in advocating for people with disabilities and embodying the independent living culture.

Cons

Rude and unprofessional management. No ability to communicate effectively with superiors. All forms of communication routinely ignored. Inconsistent direction. Constantly made to feel incompetent, even in front of other people. Organization's culture is confused and erratic, which is inherent in how outside colleagues speak about CDR. Appears that company's direction comes from a singular source with a very "my-way-or-the-highway" attitude. Any suggestions or requests to start a dialogue are met with defensiveness. Among colleagues, there is constant unease as to how to approach issues because of management's unpredictability.

No distinction made between CDR and ADAPT, a national disability rights advocacy organization. Employees are expected to participate in advocacy activities or be "looked down upon", even though said advocacy efforts occur outside of work hours and are not stated in job description. If employees are not active in ADAPT's civil rights disobedience efforts, they are viewed as not being "in line with CDR's mission."

For the duration of my employment, there was only one figure in charge. CDR should implement a series of checks and balances so that people are held accountable for their actions, leaders included.

Management should also note that it IS possible to believe in CDR's mission without being active in ADAPT's agenda.

Amazing Place to Work if You're Passionate about Disability Rights

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at Center for Disability Rights full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to get very involved very quickly, work that gives you sense of purpose, social activism opportunities, opportunities for advancement, solid work-life balance.

Cons

Like all places, some people gossip and can be catty, but you can avoid this. Also, some people are there just for the job, not for the mission - this can be frustrating.

Keep being awesome.

Good to Help People, Not good pay

Current Employee - Personal Care Aide in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Personal Care Aide in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Center for Disability Rights part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours for the people you take care of.

Cons

Only vision benefits, no heatlhcare. Low hourly rate

A company culture based on fear, retaliation, and intimidation.

Former Employee - Direct Service in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Direct Service in Rochester, NY

I worked at Center for Disability Rights full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

9-5 Job M-F. Knowledgeable people that work in direct service programs. Sense of accomplishment in helping people to live life outside of an institution and being an advocate on behalf of people.

Cons

The company culture is chaotic. Employee morale is extremely low. The CEO is unpredictable and there is no thought put into play when considering major decisions that affect the company and employees. The CEO again sets the tone and he wants what he wants when he wants it. No respect for people in his employ. There are many people that work At CDR that have disabilities but are not treated well and people have had difficulties with getting reasonable accomodations through in a timely manner. The company is not financially stable which adds to the chaos of always running to the red. Benefits could be better. Making staff participate in lobbying activities during normal working hours. I could go on and on.

Give respect where it's due. Crack down on the many people who create a hostile work environment by intimidating those they supervise and are constantly putting their staff under stress.Treat people well. There are a lot of dynamic people that work at CDR. Its a shame they do not get proper compensation or recognition for a job well done. This company is so unstable, and very dysfunctional.

It's nice to be able to help those who need it, but overall, the company is a bust.

I have been working at Center for Disability Rights

Pros

The only good thing about working at CDR is being able to assist the elderly and disabled.

Cons

There are no raises and limited benefits.

They should offer more to their employees or at least allow raises.

rewarding.low pay good benefits

Former Employee - Home Health Aide
    Former Employee - Home Health Aide

I worked at Center for Disability Rights

Pros

health insurance free
    flexible hours
    good company
    good management
    rewarding job
    self-fulfillment
    good resume builder
    good job while in school

Cons

low pay
    watching people use the company and take advantage of cdr cirriculum
    dirty job
    supervisors do not comply with company regulations

look into cases better to make sure clients aren't abusing cdr policies
    better raises
    make sure supervisors and clients comply with regulations

Center for Disability Rights Photos