Center for Discovery

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
3.3

Craig Brown, Ph.D

Don't let a few bad apples fool you-CFD is the best in the business

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at several behavioral health companies and CFD is the best in terms of its philosophy. Supportive ambitious leadership, major growth opportunities, 401K, awesome coworkers. no matter your position you have opportunities for your voice to be heard and give feedback

Cons

Of course working in mental health treatment especially residential can be challenging but that's anywhere; low pay for counselors but if you're getting your hours then it's not a big deal. benefits got better this year but still have a ways to go.

Continue to make staff appreciation a priority-it has gone a long way. let go of the employees that have no right being there (or in the mental health field at all); but to be fair it seems like with the size of this company its running pretty well; Dr. Brown visits each facility, has an open door policy and if you've ever heard him talk is clearly a very intelligent and humble guy.

Love these kids!!

Current Employee - Counselor in Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - Counselor in Whittier, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work with some great people. We work with emotionally unstable teens and help them and their families get back on track. I am a masters student and love working at CFD. I am able to gain some hours toward my internship and get paid doing it! The kids here are difficult and need a lot of support. I am learning form them every day.

Cons

I wish I made more money, as we all do. When I first started I had to work mostly nights and weekends. Great for when I was in school but would now like some more day shifts. Sometimes the clients parents can be rude to staff.

Always let all staff know about openings to move up in the organization. Offer less expensive benefits package. Would be great to have even more trainings and CEU available in the future.

Love My Job

Current Employee - Director in Los Alamitos, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Alamitos, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful team to work with. This company cares about each client and the treatment they receive. I have learned a great deal. Opportunity for advancement all the time if you work hard.

Cons

Can be a hard work environment. It is emotional demanding work and you have to give a lot of yourself. It was difficult to attend school full time while working. Some team member have a negative attitude and can bring the team down.

Keep improving benefits and giving the best treatment possible.

The best place I have ever worked!

Current Employee - Counsleor III in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Counsleor III in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of room for advancement. I have moved up in this company several times. They help me grow as a person and always give me feedback and ways to improve and grow. A company that honestly cares about the clients and staff. Great place to learn daily. Able to help people on a daily basis.

Cons

Can be emotionally draining. Some co-workers are negative and not professional. I see a lot of negative reviews from staff that were let go or never should have worked here. It is sad. I would like the health insurance to be a bit better.

Keep doing what you are doing. Wish we all had the time to know each other personally. While this is a big and growing company, a senior management person always speaks to me when I text or call. Keep improving the benefits each year.

Great job but not forever

I have been working at Center for Discovery

Pros

Coworkers are supportive. The difficult days are balanced by rewarding days. Immediate supervisors show that they value you as an employee. Great experience for future positions

Cons

Emotionally challenging job. The constructs of the company make self care time difficult to incorporate. The benefits package is surprisingly bad for a company in healthcare

Professional micromanager

Current Employee - Counselor

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Beautiful facility, free food, relaxed atmosphere,

Cons

Lack of supervision for counseling staff, inconsistencies, lack of communication, rigid staff meeting times, over time cuts, therapists only run one group, too many young people working [counselors], compensation, benefits are CA based and limited coverage, no 401K right away, poor response time for reimbursement,

Provide more face-to-face training, train staff properly upon hire, fire people who need to be fired, come up with some form of supervision for counselors, get rid of Pro-Act, have therapists run more groups, AUDIT BESTNOTES, stop opening new houses when the ones already in existence are not working up to par.

Love working at the Whittier house

Current Employee - Therapist in Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - Therapist in Whittier, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Super laid-back work atmosphere, very tight-knit team, lots of flexibility to individualize the therapeutic work for each client.

Lots of opportunities to grow within the company -- the company is opening up new houses all the time, and lots of people are getting promoted or getting transfers based on their career/family plans.

Cons

Therapists are paid pretty well here, but many of the other positions are low-paying for what they are.

Great experience, emotionally tough

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time

Pros

. There are a lot of supportive staff. The Facility Administrator is awesome- great to have as a boss and is a genuinely nice person. The program director is super nice and willing to talk with all the staff. The company is growing which provides lots of opportunities.

Cons

The work is very emotionally draining. It is extremely hard to work with adolescents- they can be disrespectful and downright hurtful. But this is to be expected when working with emotionally disturbed teenagers! The pay is comparable to other residential facilities- I wish the pay was better but that is the same for mental health care all around! If you are a good worker, you may have to pick up the slack for other employees so your shift runs smoothly.

DONT GET TOO CLOSE !!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Fairfield, CT
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Fairfield, CT

I worked at Center for Discovery part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with the children was the most rewarding job I have ever had. As a registered nurse I found that I am really good at communicating and working with troubled children. My coworkers were great, always willing to lend a hand.

Cons

Too many to mention, but I'll try. They are very deceptive with everything. Even The State regulatory agency and the Department of Children Services. They would stab the employees in the back as long as people in the coorprorate positions would not be looked down upon. People that work there all so afraid they will lose their job, they will do anything coorporate askes for. As far working as a nurse, I will tell you, the way they look at nurses are we are not worth anything. We are not included at all, but yet, we are responsible to care for them. My nursing school taught me to care for the whole person, mind body and soal. So for that I got fired, because the children loved me.

Stop being so deceptive, and make the nurse part of treatment team.

Therapist

Current Employee - Direct Care Provider in Los Alamitos, CA
    Current Employee - Direct Care Provider in Los Alamitos, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part co workers are great.

Cons

Corporate wide, unethical business practices, unfair wages. You are forced to lie often to protect the company, or you will be threatened with job loss.

Take a class in Business 101. Decrease nepitism. Focus on valuing your employees that work hard and have worked for the company longer, than focusing on new personnel. Increasing employee morale also means equal pay for employees with the same credentials, work experience and education. Go out and personally meet your employees and understand how much they put into their work or don't, you would be surprised what is really going on.