Center for Discovery Reviews

Craig Brown, Ph.D

A Dream Team!

Current Employee - Program Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Program Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at Center for Discovery (Less than a year)

Pros

amazing career development, wonderful balance of clinical and administrative/program development work, getting to learn from a team of experts in the field, passionate team, lots of fun and laughter

Cons

I can't think of any at this time. Part of the Discovery culture is being open about any issues that may arise. I feel that if there were a "con" that it would be addressed effectively.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

2. Center for Discovery Review

Pros

Wonderful team, meaningful work and a supportive environment!

Cons

More compensation would be helpful, but definitely a great job to gain experience. The experience makes up for the pay.

3. Center For Discovery is a great place to work!

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Center for Discovery is company that cares so much about each one of its employees & is passionate about the work being done in the mental health field! Center for Discovery truly cares deeply about each employee and each client.

Cons

None that I can think of.

5. An amazing program with an amazing team!

I have been working at Center for Discovery part-time

Pros

Working with a supportive staff- great communication between facility coordinator/primary therapist and program director Connecting with clients and playing an important role in an individual's recovery A sense of fulfillment working with the clients in groups and one-on-one

Cons

Nothing to report at this time. Continue treating the employees with respect.

Advice to Management

Continuing Education opportunities would be amazing!

6. Great people, great work!

Pros

Working with amazing people, who are knowledgeable, caring, and compassionate about the work they do, and overall client care!

Cons

None to speak of....support with CE Unites would be helpful

7. Great work with good people

Pros

Excellent for intro mental health work, with a relatively diverse population. Caring, supportive staff, good work environment considering the high stress job.

Cons

Rapidly expanding company that is lacking overall standards and systemization, though this is slowly being addressed across the board. Makes communication with the company umbrella difficult, but in house management tends to be good.

8. Grateful to be part of this team

Current Employee - Director of Eating Disorder Outpatient Services in Los Alamitos, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

*Grateful to come to work and love the people I work with. *Amazing to see this company expand at such a rapid pace and maintain the integrity and emphasis on quality clinical care *Happy to be a part of a Management Team with such disciplined passion and heart *Being encouraged to have fun at work

Cons

*Nothing constructive at this time. I feel my feedback is heard and respected.

Advice to Management

More team building activities and continuing education

9. Hard but meaningful work

Current Employee - Counselor

I have been working at Center for Discovery part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, Supportive staff, offers real opportunities for personal growth as well as connecting with the clients.

Cons

There are little to no consequences if clients disregard house rules or refuse to listen to counseors (especially after treatment team leaves for the day PM shifts) Higher ups tend to overstep boundaries and ask a lot from counselors. This job tends to have a high turn-over rate, I have been working for this company less than a year and already am one of the veterans responsible for training oncoming counselors (most leave within a few months). Another one of the biggest problems is finding coverage for shifts. Little to no opportunities to move up.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for advancement and better pay. Shift coverage policy needs to be improved. Company should seriously consider giving more hours to nurses (the house I work in, the ladies have moderate to severe health problems)...having a nurse staff present at all times would be helpful.

10. An Amazing Program with Amazing Staff Members!

Current Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The opportunity to play an enormous role in an individual's recovery and personal growth. -Hands on training and experience working in a residential treatment setting. -A genuine sense of fulfillment through working with adolescent in early recovery. -Supportive coworkers. -Excellent communication amongst counselors, therapists and program director. -Coworkers that genuinely care for the well being of the clients and other staff members. -Great experience running groups. -A genuine sense of enjoyment by showing up to work. -Upper management will always take the time to hear input/suggestion.

Cons

-Shifts can last longer than expected depending on events that take place on shift. -Starting pay could be better

Advice to Management

Continue to provide a work place that feels safe, hospitable and nurturing. Encourage more staff members to take advantage of the trainings that take place.

11. Not looking out for employees, or worse- CLIENTS!

Current Employee - Counselor

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food You could have a supportive staff. I loved the staff at the first house I worked at, the second staff was cold and made the workday uncomfortable

Cons

This company does not care about their staff. Zero overtime, I have seen supervisors tell employees to clock out while they still may have over an hour of work left. I'm not entirely sure if that's legal. They are expanding nation wide but cutting support staff (diet-techs especially) and can't seem to afford to pay their employees for the time they give. Furthermore, the overall attitude of the treatment is so corporate, it doesn't feel like you're genuinely helping the clients. it's an environment that is supposed to foster authenticity in the clients seeking help, but I feel like I'm personally lying through my teeth to them. Antiquated therapy practices, doesn't even adjust the programming much for teens. I got into this field to help people, but we're just getting the ED clients reliant on supplements and barking rules at them all day. It feels fake and unethical. If you want a good resume booster going further in your career, you'll probably get a good recommendation if you can survive the stress and lack of support from the company. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Ask yourselves why this company was theoretically founded.. Is that still what's motivating your business?

RSS Feed </> Embed