Center for Discovery

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
2.8

Craig Brown, Ph.D

Great job but not forever

I have been working at Center for Discovery

Pros

Coworkers are supportive. The difficult days are balanced by rewarding days. Immediate supervisors show that they value you as an employee. Great experience for future positions

Cons

Emotionally challenging job. The constructs of the company make self care time difficult to incorporate. The benefits package is surprisingly bad for a company in healthcare

Professional micromanager

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Beautiful facility, free food, relaxed atmosphere,

Cons

Lack of supervision for counseling staff, inconsistencies, lack of communication, rigid staff meeting times, over time cuts, therapists only run one group, too many young people working [counselors], compensation, benefits are CA based and limited coverage, no 401K right away, poor response time for reimbursement,

Provide more face-to-face training, train staff properly upon hire, fire people who need to be fired, come up with some form of supervision for counselors, get rid of Pro-Act, have therapists run more groups, AUDIT BESTNOTES, stop opening new houses when the ones already in existence are not working up to par.

Love working at the Whittier house

Current Employee - Therapist in Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - Therapist in Whittier, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Super laid-back work atmosphere, very tight-knit team, lots of flexibility to individualize the therapeutic work for each client.

Lots of opportunities to grow within the company -- the company is opening up new houses all the time, and lots of people are getting promoted or getting transfers based on their career/family plans.

Cons

Therapists are paid pretty well here, but many of the other positions are low-paying for what they are.

Great experience, emotionally tough

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time

Pros

. There are a lot of supportive staff. The Facility Administrator is awesome- great to have as a boss and is a genuinely nice person. The program director is super nice and willing to talk with all the staff. The company is growing which provides lots of opportunities.

Cons

The work is very emotionally draining. It is extremely hard to work with adolescents- they can be disrespectful and downright hurtful. But this is to be expected when working with emotionally disturbed teenagers! The pay is comparable to other residential facilities- I wish the pay was better but that is the same for mental health care all around! If you are a good worker, you may have to pick up the slack for other employees so your shift runs smoothly.

DONT GET TOO CLOSE !!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Fairfield, CT
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Fairfield, CT

I worked at Center for Discovery part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with the children was the most rewarding job I have ever had. As a registered nurse I found that I am really good at communicating and working with troubled children. My coworkers were great, always willing to lend a hand.

Cons

Too many to mention, but I'll try. They are very deceptive with everything. Even The State regulatory agency and the Department of Children Services. They would stab the employees in the back as long as people in the coorprorate positions would not be looked down upon. People that work there all so afraid they will lose their job, they will do anything coorporate askes for. As far working as a nurse, I will tell you, the way they look at nurses are we are not worth anything. We are not included at all, but yet, we are responsible to care for them. My nursing school taught me to care for the whole person, mind body and soal. So for that I got fired, because the children loved me.

Stop being so deceptive, and make the nurse part of treatment team.

When you are up you are up and when you are down you are down.

Current Employee - Primary Therapist in Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - Primary Therapist in Whittier, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Education, Training and Supervision are free. This company has the right idea, and employees that really care. Co-workers are enjoyable. As the company expands, so do the job opportunities, which is great. Casual, flexible, supervisor is approachable. Great learning experience.

Cons

Communication, between team, management and so on.
    Compensation, fair but not enough compared to the amount of work.
    High Turn over.

Training's are great for the most part it would be nice to have CEU training that can be counted by the BBS, to ensure we are all up to date and compliant with BBS.
    Compensation could be improved to keep a more consistent team.
    Benefits (sick and vacation leave)- could be better.

Therapist

Current Employee - Direct Care Provider in Los Alamitos, CA
    Current Employee - Direct Care Provider in Los Alamitos, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part co workers are great.

Cons

Corporate wide, unethical business practices, unfair wages. You are forced to lie often to protect the company, or you will be threatened with job loss.

Take a class in Business 101. Decrease nepitism. Focus on valuing your employees that work hard and have worked for the company longer, than focusing on new personnel. Increasing employee morale also means equal pay for employees with the same credentials, work experience and education. Go out and personally meet your employees and understand how much they put into their work or don't, you would be surprised what is really going on.

Clinical Outreach

Current Employee - Clinical Outreach
    Current Employee - Clinical Outreach

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful and supportive company to work for. Management is always wanting to hear new ideas and feedback from staff. Outreach position is flexible and the team is amazing!

Cons

Pay is comparable to other treatment facilities but could be higher.

Keep listening and engaging your employees, it is of great value.

Okay while you look for something else

Current Employee - Counselor in Downey, CA
    Current Employee - Counselor in Downey, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of hours per diem
    Very laid back
    locations all over

Cons

Very high turn over
    No room for advancement
    Pay is awful

I have been here for 2 years (still employed) as an on call staff member. It was a good place when I was in school because I could work when I wanted to. After I graduated I was expecting to be hired on full time, or at least on call in my field of study (as i was told).

The problem is since I have been with the company (2 years) I have seen 18 members of the mgmt team leave. Which means the person who promised me a position after I graduated is long gone. After some back and forth with the new staff I was able to work the the capacity of what I went to school for (nursing) but they wanted to keep me at my same pay rate ($12) yeah, I don't think so. I was not even able to get a raise and I have been here 2 years.

The only reason I stick around it because working the night shift is super easy and not much work is involved. They continue to ask me to work nursing shift or a day shift but I refuse. But for $12 an hour at night to do nothing, sure I will stick around.

This is the type of company that will use and take advantage of you if you let them.

Pay your people what they are worth and good people will stick around

LIKE WORKING EVERYDAY OF YOUR LIFE WITH NO APPRECIATION??

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Fremont, CA

I worked at Center for Discovery full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Loved working with the clients and some of the staff were great.

Cons

Management is disorganized and had an unfair expectation of what a staff member should be doing.
    Kept terrible staff members even though they weren't doing their jobs while firing staff that were going above and beyond. Terrible, just terrible!!!!

Take a management class! Appreciate the good ones and get rid of the trash!