Center for Discovery

1. Salary

Current Employee - Nurse in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Nurse in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery

Pros

Rewarding job good work done

Cons

Crap pay tedious, chaotic and crazy

Advice to Management

Great job!!

2. Counselor

I have been working at Center for Discovery

Pros

The real pros to this job is being able to help teenagers and run groups with them. Also they can be very flexible if you are currently in school.

Cons

Very hard to move up. They like outside hires more often that people who have worked there for a while. The pay isn't that great especially if you come in with a Masters Degree.

Advice to Management

I would recommend offering employees more opportunities to move up rather than offering jobs to people outside the company. Have more confidence in the people you have already hired.

3. Good job, but pay and amount of work hours could be better.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Danville, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Danville, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff is friendly and the clients are easy to work with.

Cons

VERY short hours (2 hr shifts)
    Low end pay rate for area

Advice to Management

Increase your hourly rates or increase the amount of hours offered and this should decrease your turnover rates and increase your retention.

5. x

Current Employee - Counselor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Counselor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery

Pros

amazing company love the cause

Cons

benefits are only ok the company can and should do better to keep us happy

Advice to Management

better employee benefits company can do much more

6. Company on the road to improvement

Current Employee - Therapist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Therapist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If this company wants to keep you, they're really flexible and will find a way to keep you employed. When you end up with a supportive team, coming to work is rewarding and exciting. Depending on the timing, there are opportunities to advance within the company and to work in a variety of settings. If you work in residential, getting to eat for free helps save money and makes up for low pay. 401K plan is nice and in general improvements are being made.

Cons

Entry level positions pay low. Benefits are expensive through the company. Job duties can sometimes be unclear. Unprofessional employees that probably should be terminated seem to get overlooked repeatedly at times whereas solid employees are rewarded inconsistently. Any transitions (promotions, changing locations) are difficult and frustrating, plans are often made before important details have been figured out.

Advice to Management

Take time to hammer out details before offering promotions. Improve communication in general (some supervisors are excellent at responding with pertinent information whereas others may not respond at all or respond with information not related to the issue).

7. Counselor

I worked at Center for Discovery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the clients and some supportive co-workers.

Cons

Hire too many people with no experience. Pay is low and poor leadership. Management does not care about their staff. Lacks communication and leadership skills.

Advice to Management

Value your staff and start practing ethically. I thought this was a mental health facility and management does not care about staff burnout. Start to value your employees who truly want to make a difference with this organization.

8. Counselor

Current Employee - Counselor in Whittier, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn about eating disorders and the treatment of them. The team is wonderful and I really like the location. Great team to work with and grow. A lot of room for advancement.

Cons

Salary to start was low. I had a conflict with one other staff member when I started, but that was resoled. Working with the clients can be sad when they do not want to recover and refuse to work in treatment.

Advice to Management

You are great!

9. Not a great company.

Former Employee - Counselor
    Former Employee - Counselor

I worked at Center for Discovery

Pros

Working with the clients was very rewarding. Some supportive co-workers. Free food. Beautiful facility, occasional training and staff enrichment meetings were helpful.

Cons

Supper low pay! The corporate and HR members are corrupt and don't care about their staff. They are only looking out for themselves. Unethical and corrupt practices. Did I mention SUPER LOW PAY? Barely make anything above minimum wage, even with a degree.

Advice to Management

Value and compensate your staff for what they are worth! Stop the unethical and deceitful practices. I mean come on, you are in the mental health industry! Isn't ethics supposed to be one of your underlining goals and practices??

Don't let a few bad apples fool you-CFD is the best in the business

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at several behavioral health companies and CFD is the best in terms of its philosophy. Supportive ambitious leadership, major growth opportunities, 401K, awesome coworkers. no matter your position you have opportunities for your voice to be heard and give feedback

Cons

Of course working in mental health treatment especially residential can be challenging but that's anywhere; low pay for counselors but if you're getting your hours then it's not a big deal. benefits got better this year but still have a ways to go.

Advice to Management

Continue to make staff appreciation a priority-it has gone a long way. let go of the employees that have no right being there (or in the mental health field at all); but to be fair it seems like with the size of this company its running pretty well; Dr. Brown visits each facility, has an open door policy and if you've ever heard him talk is clearly a very intelligent and humble guy.

11. Love these kids!!

Current Employee - Counselor in Whittier, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work with some great people. We work with emotionally unstable teens and help them and their families get back on track. I am a masters student and love working at CFD. I am able to gain some hours toward my internship and get paid doing it! The kids here are difficult and need a lot of support. I am learning form them every day.

Cons

I wish I made more money, as we all do. When I first started I had to work mostly nights and weekends. Great for when I was in school but would now like some more day shifts. Sometimes the clients parents can be rude to staff.

Advice to Management

Always let all staff know about openings to move up in the organization. Offer less expensive benefits package. Would be great to have even more trainings and CEU available in the future.

RSS Feed </> Embed