Center for Discovery

Be The First To
Add Photos

Craig Brown, Ph.D

Clinical Outreach

Clinical Outreach (Current Employee)

ProsWonderful and supportive company to work for. Management is always wanting to hear new ideas and feedback from staff. Outreach position is flexible and the team is amazing!

ConsPay is comparable to other treatment facilities but could be higher.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening and engaging your employees, it is of great value.

Okay while you look for something else

Counselor (Current Employee) Downey, CA

ProsLots of hours per diem
    Very laid back
    locations all over

ConsVery high turn over
    No room for advancement
    Pay is awful

I have been here for 2 years (still employed) as an on call staff member. It was a good place when I was in school because I could work when I wanted to. After I graduated I was expecting to be hired on full time, or at least on call in my field of study (as i was told).

The problem is since I have been with the company (2 years) I have seen 18 members of the mgmt team leave. Which means the person who promised me a position after I graduated is long gone. After some back and forth with the new staff I was able to work the the capacity of what I went to school for (nursing) but they wanted to keep me at my same pay rate ($12) yeah, I don't think so. I was not even able to get a raise and I have been here 2 years.

The only reason I stick around it because working the night shift is super easy and not much work is involved. They continue to ask me to work nursing shift or a day shift but I refuse. But for $12 an hour at night to do nothing, sure I will stick around.

This is the type of company that will use and take advantage of you if you let them.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people what they are worth and good people will stick around

LIKE WORKING EVERYDAY OF YOUR LIFE WITH NO APPRECIATION??

Residential Counselor (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsLoved working with the clients and some of the staff were great.

ConsManagement is disorganized and had an unfair expectation of what a staff member should be doing.
    Kept terrible staff members even though they weren't doing their jobs while firing staff that were going above and beyond. Terrible, just terrible!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a management class! Appreciate the good ones and get rid of the trash!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a bad place to start out

Drug and Alcohol Counselor (Current Employee) Long Beach, CA

ProsWorking with clients can be rewarding and most of the staff are great

ConsManagement can be prickly and hard to communicate with despite the "open door policy." Many employees have recently commiserated that it is time to look for a new job, and the company seems to be in some kind of state of change, but counseling staff is in the dark about what that change might entail.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive counselors more positive feedback. We are dedicated and work hard for low wages because we love what we do. For each thing management points out we are doing wrong, we need at least a morsel of encouragement too. We are your front-line!

Shortest Interview Ever

Registered Nurse (Former Employee) Whittier, CA

ProsIt was a great first job out of nursing school

ConsWay too many to list. Very corrupt business.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't go into details on here but they are very unprofessional in every single way.

Short Term Learning Experience

Counselor (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsPersonal work experience with people that really care about you. Although the company is now over 200 employees, there are roughly thirty employees at each house. The staff I work with are extremely supportive and know you and care about you personally. It will help you grow personally and that in itself will help you grow in your career.

ConsHORRIBLE benefit packages bad ethics of the company. Upper management could not place a face with my name. This job is emotionally hard and the compensation is not good. This job is the equivalent of an emotional punching bag, because the adolescents are extremely challenging.

Advice to Senior Managementvalue your employees, look at our employee turnover!

Worked for Center for Discovery? Contribute to the Community!