Center for Discovery

Salary

Current Employee - Nurse in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Nurse in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery

Pros

Rewarding job good work done

Cons

Crap pay tedious, chaotic and crazy

Great job!!

Counselor

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to learn about eating disorders and the treatment of them. The team is wonderful and I really like the location. Great team to work with and grow. A lot of room for advancement.

Cons

Salary to start was low. I had a conflict with one other staff member when I started, but that was resoled. Working with the clients can be sad when they do not want to recover and refuse to work in treatment.

You are great!

Love these kids!!

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work with some great people. We work with emotionally unstable teens and help them and their families get back on track. I am a masters student and love working at CFD. I am able to gain some hours toward my internship and get paid doing it! The kids here are difficult and need a lot of support. I am learning form them every day.

Cons

I wish I made more money, as we all do. When I first started I had to work mostly nights and weekends. Great for when I was in school but would now like some more day shifts. Sometimes the clients parents can be rude to staff.

Always let all staff know about openings to move up in the organization. Offer less expensive benefits package. Would be great to have even more trainings and CEU available in the future.

Don't let a few bad apples fool you-CFD is the best in the business

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at several behavioral health companies and CFD is the best in terms of its philosophy. Supportive ambitious leadership, major growth opportunities, 401K, awesome coworkers. no matter your position you have opportunities for your voice to be heard and give feedback

Cons

Of course working in mental health treatment especially residential can be challenging but that's anywhere; low pay for counselors but if you're getting your hours then it's not a big deal. benefits got better this year but still have a ways to go.

Continue to make staff appreciation a priority-it has gone a long way. let go of the employees that have no right being there (or in the mental health field at all); but to be fair it seems like with the size of this company its running pretty well; Dr. Brown visits each facility, has an open door policy and if you've ever heard him talk is clearly a very intelligent and humble guy.

The best place I have ever worked!

Current Employee - Counsleor III in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Counsleor III in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of room for advancement. I have moved up in this company several times. They help me grow as a person and always give me feedback and ways to improve and grow. A company that honestly cares about the clients and staff. Great place to learn daily. Able to help people on a daily basis.

Cons

Can be emotionally draining. Some co-workers are negative and not professional. I see a lot of negative reviews from staff that were let go or never should have worked here. It is sad. I would like the health insurance to be a bit better.

Keep doing what you are doing. Wish we all had the time to know each other personally. While this is a big and growing company, a senior management person always speaks to me when I text or call. Keep improving the benefits each year.

Love working at the Whittier house

Current Employee - Therapist in Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - Therapist in Whittier, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Super laid-back work atmosphere, very tight-knit team, lots of flexibility to individualize the therapeutic work for each client.

Lots of opportunities to grow within the company -- the company is opening up new houses all the time, and lots of people are getting promoted or getting transfers based on their career/family plans.

Cons

Therapists are paid pretty well here, but many of the other positions are low-paying for what they are.

Clinical Outreach

Current Employee - Clinical Outreach
    Current Employee - Clinical Outreach

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful and supportive company to work for. Management is always wanting to hear new ideas and feedback from staff. Outreach position is flexible and the team is amazing!

Cons

Pay is comparable to other treatment facilities but could be higher.

Keep listening and engaging your employees, it is of great value.

Great experience, emotionally tough

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time

Pros

. There are a lot of supportive staff. The Facility Administrator is awesome- great to have as a boss and is a genuinely nice person. The program director is super nice and willing to talk with all the staff. The company is growing which provides lots of opportunities.

Cons

The work is very emotionally draining. It is extremely hard to work with adolescents- they can be disrespectful and downright hurtful. But this is to be expected when working with emotionally disturbed teenagers! The pay is comparable to other residential facilities- I wish the pay was better but that is the same for mental health care all around! If you are a good worker, you may have to pick up the slack for other employees so your shift runs smoothly.

Great job but not forever

Current Employee - Counselor
    Current Employee - Counselor

I have been working at Center for Discovery

Pros

Coworkers are supportive. The difficult days are balanced by rewarding days. Immediate supervisors show that they value you as an employee. Great experience for future positions

Cons

Emotionally challenging job. The constructs of the company make self care time difficult to incorporate. The benefits package is surprisingly bad for a company in healthcare

When you are up you are up and when you are down you are down.

Current Employee - Primary Therapist in Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - Primary Therapist in Whittier, CA

I have been working at Center for Discovery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Education, Training and Supervision are free. This company has the right idea, and employees that really care. Co-workers are enjoyable. As the company expands, so do the job opportunities, which is great. Casual, flexible, supervisor is approachable. Great learning experience.

Cons

Communication, between team, management and so on.
    Compensation, fair but not enough compared to the amount of work.
    High Turn over.

Training's are great for the most part it would be nice to have CEU training that can be counted by the BBS, to ensure we are all up to date and compliant with BBS.
    Compensation could be improved to keep a more consistent team.
    Benefits (sick and vacation leave)- could be better.