Center for Strategic and International Studies

Center for Strategic and International Studies President John Hamre

John Hamre

Great internship.

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies as an intern

ProsReally smart people, great exposure and location

ConsCan get boring if your program isn't working on a project

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Administrative Assistant, Director of Programs, Pacific Rim

Actually Employed Prior to Up to 2009 (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent working conditions. Good Benefits.

ConsI found no Cons re employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementMangement very accessible. Open door policy.

Superb atmosphere, great people, excellent experience

Washington, DC

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies full-time for less than a year

ProsLots of research, event coordination & writing experience
Very friendly and engaging co-workers
Chance to attend conferences and meet speakers from a wide range of professional backgrounds

ConsInternship is unpaid - but if you are an undergraduate or recent college grad looking for professional experience and a resume boost, this is one of the best places to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage the interns from different departments to meet each other more!

Great place to intern

Intern (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Center for Strategic and International Studies as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe internship is heavily research-focused, with maybe 5-10% of administrative work. There are always lots of events going in in many different subject areas, so you can learn about a variety of issues and the program coordinators are usually pretty cool about letting you go to whatever events you want. There is a good intern development/internship program (AILA) that provides lunch once or twice a week.

ConsThe internship is unpaid, though they do give $60 a month in metro cards

Valuable research experience

Research Intern (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe scholars were incredible, and I loved my coworkers. There was also a wonderful program for young professionals to gain more skills.

ConsAll in all, it was a great experience, but my internship was unpaid (which can be difficult in DC) and I heard that Research Assistants make a relatively low wage. Furthermore, I thought about coming back to work as an RA, but unfortunately, though they tend to like their jobs straight out of school, there is not much opportunity for career growth.

An amazing experience with a diverse group of brilliant, diverse people coming together to solve world problems.

Washington, DC

ProsExposure to many different issues, people, topics and opportunities. They like hiring from within and the internship program is regarded are very prestigious. Interns are treated the same as employees and are given their own tasks and projects throughout their time there.

ConsIt can be very long hours and research-heavy. Expect to clock a solid amount of hours and be able to handle a deadline work environment

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

great place to make a difference

Consultant (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Center for Strategic and International Studies as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe organization values and empowers its staff, treats them fairly, and challenges them. It focuses on policy-relevant scholarship with thorough and well-articulated analysis and practical recommendations for our country's leaders. It is forward-thinking, anticipating and indeed welcoming change, and it takes its bipartisanship and its integrity seriously.

ConsI am unable to articulate any major weaknesses at this point, although I am still very new to CSIS so perhaps I will be able to do so later.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a fantastic organization - keep taking care of your people, empowering them and allowing them to flourish!

Great content, great people

Multimedia Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Center for Strategic and International Studies

ProsEveryday you are surrounded by fantastic content. The amount you can learn working here, from your program and others, is amazing. And they really do support you learning as much as you want/can. I will say though, I have an incredible boss that is very supportive of my efforts and invested in my progress. I'm sure other bosses at CSIS are like this, but having only worked for him, I can't speak for every other program. Last Dr. Hamre, the President and CEO of CSIS, is an outstanding and inspiring figure.

ConsIf you are a media person, it's not the ideal place to work - as media is not the central priority. You can learn a lot and get creative projects thrown your way, but I think there is a ceiling for growth if you are a media professional. Also if you are doing strictly media, you get stuck filming a lot of events (setting up breaking down) and uploading them online. These tasks get monotonous very fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should find a way for your media people to do more creative work more often.

One of the better internships available to grow political research network and skills

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies

ProsEverybody is very professional and friendly.
Access to a wide variety of conferences held by CSIS and other organizations in the DC area.
Network at these events and make sure to attend as many as you can.

ConsNot so much a con but you're still an intern and when the research associates are busy, you will be expected to do some of the more tedious work. But they do much of it as well and tend to avoid asking interns to do such things if they can.

Most internships at think tanks are unpaid.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you, it was a great experience.

Great place for young professionals.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Center for Strategic and International Studies

ProsA lot of attention to young professionals - many lunch time talks and speakers brought in. Upper management is very accessible and open to meeting with younger staff. The organization is an exciting place to work and there is a lot of intellectual activities going on. Also, the location in downtown DC can not be beat.

ConsNot a lot of interaction between different departments. Lower pay than other think tanks in DC.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore thorough exit interview - it was nonexistent.

Worked for Center for Strategic and International Studies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Center for Strategic and International Studies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Center for Strategic and International Studies CEO John Hamre. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Center for Strategic and International Studies employees.