Center for Strategic and International Studies

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Center for Strategic and International Studies President John Hamre

John Hamre

Summer Intern - interesting work

Summer Intern (Former Employee)

ProsVery interesting work and collegial atmosphere with engaging co-workers

ConsDemanding boss and low pay

Great internship, but little prospect of employment

Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe nature of the internship depends on which chair you work for, but generally they take you seriously and give you substantive work- no coffee and copying!

ConsAgain it depends on the chair, but the expectations on interns can be very high and it often feels like an actual job. When it ends, it can be a bit of a come-down if you get attached.Promotion into full time work is uncommon but not impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps standardize conditions/pay for interns across all chairs. This would require some pretty major financial restructuring but it would be worth it in the long run.

Great internship.

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsReally smart people, great exposure and location

ConsCan get boring if your program isn't working on a project

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Administrative Assistant, Director of Programs, Pacific Rim

Actually Employed Prior to Up to 2009 (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsExcellent working conditions. Good Benefits.

ConsI found no Cons re employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementMangement very accessible. Open door policy.

Superb atmosphere, great people, excellent experience

Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLots of research, event coordination & writing experience
    Very friendly and engaging co-workers
    Chance to attend conferences and meet speakers from a wide range of professional backgrounds

ConsInternship is unpaid - but if you are an undergraduate or recent college grad looking for professional experience and a resume boost, this is one of the best places to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage the interns from different departments to meet each other more!

Great place to intern

Intern (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe internship is heavily research-focused, with maybe 5-10% of administrative work. There are always lots of events going in in many different subject areas, so you can learn about a variety of issues and the program coordinators are usually pretty cool about letting you go to whatever events you want. There is a good intern development/internship program (AILA) that provides lunch once or twice a week.

ConsThe internship is unpaid, though they do give $60 a month in metro cards

Valuable research experience

Research Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe scholars were incredible, and I loved my coworkers. There was also a wonderful program for young professionals to gain more skills.

ConsAll in all, it was a great experience, but my internship was unpaid (which can be difficult in DC) and I heard that Research Assistants make a relatively low wage. Furthermore, I thought about coming back to work as an RA, but unfortunately, though they tend to like their jobs straight out of school, there is not much opportunity for career growth.

An amazing experience with a diverse group of brilliant, diverse people coming together to solve world problems.

Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsExposure to many different issues, people, topics and opportunities. They like hiring from within and the internship program is regarded are very prestigious. Interns are treated the same as employees and are given their own tasks and projects throughout their time there.

ConsIt can be very long hours and research-heavy. Expect to clock a solid amount of hours and be able to handle a deadline work environment

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

great place to make a difference

Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe organization values and empowers its staff, treats them fairly, and challenges them. It focuses on policy-relevant scholarship with thorough and well-articulated analysis and practical recommendations for our country's leaders. It is forward-thinking, anticipating and indeed welcoming change, and it takes its bipartisanship and its integrity seriously.

ConsI am unable to articulate any major weaknesses at this point, although I am still very new to CSIS so perhaps I will be able to do so later.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a fantastic organization - keep taking care of your people, empowering them and allowing them to flourish!

Great content, great people

Multimedia Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsEveryday you are surrounded by fantastic content. The amount you can learn working here, from your program and others, is amazing. And they really do support you learning as much as you want/can. I will say though, I have an incredible boss that is very supportive of my efforts and invested in my progress. I'm sure other bosses at CSIS are like this, but having only worked for him, I can't speak for every other program. Last Dr. Hamre, the President and CEO of CSIS, is an outstanding and inspiring figure.

ConsIf you are a media person, it's not the ideal place to work - as media is not the central priority. You can learn a lot and get creative projects thrown your way, but I think there is a ceiling for growth if you are a media professional. Also if you are doing strictly media, you get stuck filming a lot of events (setting up breaking down) and uploading them online. These tasks get monotonous very fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should find a way for your media people to do more creative work more often.

Worked for Center for Strategic and International Studies? Contribute to the Community!