Center for the Disability Services Foundation

Reset
3.5
Alan Krafchin

1. Direct Support Professsional - Evening Residential

Current Employee - Direct Service Professional - Evening Residential in Albany, NY

I have been working at Center for the Disability Services Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good training. I'm really happy that I work here, especially at the house I'm at. Everybody is very friendly. My boss is awesome. I feel like I am a valued employee, as long as I stay current on my certifications.

Cons

As with most jobs in this field, on paper I am expected to do far more than is possible.

2. okay.

Current Employee - Resident Counselor II in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Resident Counselor II in Albany, NY

I have been working at Center for the Disability Services Foundation

Pros

benefits, making a difference and helping the often marginalized.

Cons

pay, hours, mandatory overtime- I've had to work 24+hr shifts with no sleep and then had to pass out medications, which is unreasonable and unsafe.

Advice to Management

House managers, in my experience, do very, very little interacting or hands-on work with the consumers for whom they are responsible. The wellbeing of the individuals falls mostly on residential counselors whose concerns regarding the individuals are often ignored.

3. Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Center for the Disability Services Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros-the health benefits are affordable which is nice but that is about it. There are multiple community residences to work at which means your commute shouldn't be too bad.

Cons

Cons-horrible paid time off. Decent hourly rate but not worth it for all the work your asked to do from the program manager. That manager will have you do everything while they enjoy making double the amount of money for half the amount of work. Have fill all vacant shifts so you'll end up working more than most people and it sucks to get called in to work an overnight 11pm-9am.

Advice to Management

Hire people willing to grow and change like our consumers do. Don't just promote someone because they have been there for a long time.

5. Skills Specialist

I worked at Center for the Disability Services Foundation

Pros

Rewarding work, working for a non-profit. If you're lucky, you could get a position that would have you watching movies and playing games, going on outings all day.

Cons

Can be difficult at times, you have to approach it with the right attitude, be grateful that you get to help.

Advice to Management

Keep doing your best

6. It was a great place to start a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schenectady, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schenectady, NY

I worked at Center for the Disability Services Foundation part-time

Pros

I worked at CFDSNY while I was in college as a per diem worker. It was a great alternative to working retail. You get a good head start working in the social services and the chance to do something valuable. My particular site locations was really understanding of my situation and, in general, operated on a good balance of professional and familiar levels, considering the nature of the work. I would have considered moving up in the company if life didn't get in the way.

Cons

Perks: I've heard it depends on the site locations, but I had the chance to work at two different sites and they seemed vaguely similar to me (they were under the same regional management, so that makes sense). But the people I worked with were friendly, and management was understanding and worked with you. Cons: Think of the problems of a non-profit, and then stop, because you've got all of the problems. Relatively low pay, somewhat disorganized, etc. etc. etc.

7. Clinician

I have been working at Center for the Disability Services Foundation full-time

Pros

Great place to work and wonderful staff

Cons

- Pays and benefits -

8. Excellent, Rewarding, Educating

Former Employee - House Counselor in Troy, NY
    Former Employee - House Counselor in Troy, NY

I worked at Center for the Disability Services Foundation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At first I did't understand how to work with the Disable But these guys taught me how

Cons

Understanding some of the speech problem, culture and difficulty, that some senior management put some workers through

9. Only OK

Current Employee - Resident Counselor II in Cohoes, NY
    Current Employee - Resident Counselor II in Cohoes, NY

I have been working at Center for the Disability Services Foundation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get an extrodinary amout of time off. The job itself is satisfying. Most meals are provided while you are working. They also have 30 hour position where you are considered full time.

Cons

PAY-there is no flux in this there is no raises so what you start at you stay at-ex. I have been there for 9 years and am making 12.02 but the new hires(because they have to get people in the door) get more money. Time Off- Yes as stated the longer you are there you get a unheared of amount of time off. It is supposed to be used for vacation and sick time BUT if you take any sick time AT ALL, your review will show you take an excessive amount of time off. Management-They try and most of them are good with good intentions but when a problem comes up that is work related and you go to them they act like you are a complainer who is not willing to be a team player. This can be off putting especially if the problem is a serious one like harassment or treatment of another client. Security in the job- There is none. They will get rid of anyone who reaches a certain level of pension. Also I have been there when they got rid an entire set of mechanics(all with over 5 yrs and as much as 15 yrs). They also will fight unemployement relentlessly. Benefits- Their health benefits are so horrible it is a joke. Most staff can't afford it so they get on ACA medicare, which looks horrible but the staff can't pay for the health care they are offering.

Advice to Management

The job we do is hard and can cause burnout for any employees who stay so why don't you pay those employees bonuses or at least give us raises so we are making more than those you are hiring. Also there is a reason some poeple come to you with issues, you say if there are problems involving clients or other employees to come to you, you have"an open door policy". What you should be saying cause it is more along the lines of the truth is "I am telling you this because I have to" because your treatment of the issues brought to you is nonexistant. Oh yes I have been privey to the eye rolling the avoidence and even had managers who have gone so far as to tell me " well if there wasn't that problem you had a few weeks ago....." . Yes this does happen.

10. Great Agency to work for

I have been working at Center for the Disability Services Foundation

Pros

Work atmosphere is fun and rewarding.

Cons

Little pay for a sometimes stressful job.

Advice to Management

Be a team player

11. Poor management all around

Former Employee - Practice Specialist in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Practice Specialist in Albany, NY

I worked at Center for the Disability Services Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The care they provide to the disabled community.

Cons

Management, period. I would never encourage someone to seek employment there. It is sad that they are starting to make it more difficult for those with disabilities to be seen by trying to solicit more business from the general public for their healthcare system.

Advice to Management

Fire your administrative staff at CHC including the medical director and start over.

RSS Feed </> Embed