CenterPoint Energy

Be The First To
Add Photos

CenterPoint Energy President, CEO, and Director David M. McClanahan

David M. McClanahan

Highly professional office, with little moaning.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGreat benefits, good teamwork atmosphere. Plenty of opportunities for raises and promotion on the professional side. Training is always available if you ask for it.

ConsLots of corporate shuffling means some problems with inexperience. The manager that leads your team might not be as qualified as the subject matter experts that are less well paid. If you have a motivated team player as a SME, then you should be fine.

Advancing in technology and has a lot of growth potential.

Houston, TX

ProsThere is a lot of growth potential and the leadership moving towards advanced technology. There is great life/work balance, great benefits, and the compensation is competitive. Very nice atmosphere.

ConsThey have been a bit slow into moving towards using technology so even though they are quickly closing this gap there is still a lot of improvements to be made for efficiency purposes.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe work life balance is great but the hours should be more flexible for salaried employees such as: if you come in at 7 you can leave at 4; if you come in at 8 you can leave at 5.....there should not be a set schedule. Most of the companies do not have a set schedule for professionals.

Great place to work, great and intelligent work force

Protection Engineer (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsRelaxed work environment, properly spaced out projects and good management

ConsPay is a bit low compared to other surrounding companies

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees comparably with the market

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hands down best company I have ever worked for

Engineering Technologist (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsI am so gratefule to work for CenterPoint Energy. I have never received so much praise and appreciation in my work than I do here. In my department, management really appreciates every employees contribution and everyone is happy to be here. I had no idea companies like this existed. A work-life balance is encouraged and respected. Working for CenterPoint Energy could probably be the most stable job in the country. Not only are you working for one of the most booming oil/gas economys America has to offer, but you are working for the energy supplier. If you work here then you are set. There is no doubt about that.

ConsNot as fast paced as I am used to and work does not seem challenging at times. Somewhat trivial and common sense. I am only a year into my career though so I understand you have to build a foundation in the work area though. We will see....

Fun place to work at

Contractor (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsCompany will be in market for a long time, has many ties and very stable. Decent pay and friendly top management

ConsNot many chances for entry level.

Meter Reader

Meter Reader (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGreat company to work for. Good working hours plus pay as good as well.

ConsNo opportunity for growth. Once we found out our department was getting cut there were no opportunities to move to other areas of the company.

Great company

Intern (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsCenterPoint is a great company. Everyone's been nice and hard working. Great employee benefit. Can get a lot of help from any kinds of people, managers, analysts, directors, engineers, etc.

ConsThe only challenge may be understanding different work processes within this big energy firm. There are lots of things going on at the same time and you need to keep track of them. But as said it would be challenging and you really can get the most out of it.

Electrician

Master Electrician (Current Employee)
    Coon Rapids, MN

ProsYou are provided a company van and are paid pretty well for the work you do. There is an overall feeling of teamwork.

ConsYou work a lot of overtime year-round, takes a long time working for the company to earn vacation hours, and sometimes the work feels monotonous.

A place to retire.

Houston, TX

ProsAs steady as they come in terms of market sector performance and overall financial health. Good work-life options. Rock solid benefits. Company still has a pension.

ConsEntrenched staff. Rotation and development opportunities abound, but if you get your heart set on a particular group, it may be some time before that specific opportunity comes your way.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

No corporate mobility

Senior Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe company will be around for a very long time, very stable. The pay is reasonable and they a have a fairly decent union on the electric side of the company.

ConsThey do not promote pass entry level management. Very few people actually get a chance to move up to the corporate level even if they are qualified. The natural gas side of the company has a very weak union and has a strong "Good ole Boy" system in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company really need some diversity at the corporate level. There is a real disconnect between your field employee with college degrees and upper management.

Worked for CenterPoint Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CenterPoint Energy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CenterPoint Energy CEO David M. McClanahan. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by CenterPoint Energy employees.