CenterPoint Energy

Updated February 4, 2015
3.7

CenterPoint Energy President, CEO, and Director David M. McClanahan
David M. McClanahan

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good and benefits are average (in 6 reviews)

• There is great life/work balance, great benefits, and the compensation is competitive (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I have found that there is still some of the "good ole boy" system still left in the company (in 4 reviews)

• Low salary compared to other engineering jobs in Houston (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with room for improvement

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Beaumont, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Beaumont, TX

I have been working at CenterPoint Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits and decent pay. Everyone complains and says it should be better, but if you look up market data, it's on par. Room for advancement is there and they like to promote from within. However, a lot of it is who you know.

Cons

Growth/promotion opportunities are slow. Some people value time in the company over abilities. There is a lot of room for process improvement. Inter-division/department communication and team work could improve. Changes are made that have unilateral effects on other areas without any fore warning.

Good place to start.

I worked at CenterPoint Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to start, getting trained and move on.

Cons

Still a "good ole boy" mentality. They will only move you up if "they" think you need to be moved up.

Be open minded to change. Allow employees to better themselves and be a better, more positive influence for the company.

Hard Works Pays Off

Current Employee - Service Tech in Rosenberg, TX
    Current Employee - Service Tech in Rosenberg, TX

I have been working at CenterPoint Energy

Pros

Competitive Wages. Excellent incentives. You feel like a part of something. Management listens and cares. Opportunity to travel and grow. Work as much as you possibly can.

Cons

The one thing that would be a con, would have to be some of the older tenured employees seem to feel entitled. But nothing too bad.

Keep up the great work.

Stable company

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at CenterPoint Energy as a contractor

Pros

Stable company, not volatile like other energy companies in Houston that go through ups and downs very frequently. It does offer opportunities for personal growth.

Cons

It is stable because it takes its own time to change. One has to be patient because it takes a while for the management to make decisions. If you are a go-getter in your prime, it may be a bit frustrating.

There is a disconnect between the senior management and employees in the trenches. I am certain the projects are planned but it seems like a very seat of the pants execution of projects. Please involve the employees actually doing the work in the planning process, or keep them abreast of the plans.

Working for the gas company

Former Employee - Service Technician in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at CenterPoint Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can work yourself into a higher tax bracket if you wish to. There are enough hours available to work yourself crazy.
    A good portion of your work day is set at your pace and management, or it was when I was there. My immediate supervisor was a nice guy.
    Lot's of variety, many different places and people in a single day.

Cons

A good portion of the overtime is REQUIRED. The shifts are like nothing most normal people have experienced. Think crab fisherman or something of that ilk. Not a great job for a family man.
    There is a somewhat toxic environment established, it can be avoided or tuned out, but if you are sensitive to disrespectful treatment, scapegoating or being talked to like you are a child you may want to avoid this place.
    Overall, it was a good place to grow a skill set, I hold no ill feelings toward the place. These things mentioned are simply a heads up to those who may not appreciate this style of company.

Local management is controlled very closely by the out state headquarters. Any advice would be wasted.

Could be better, but what couldn't?

I have been working at CenterPoint Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary is excellent, training is second to none, minimum travel, all tools and equipment including safety gear is supplied, opportunity to advance

Cons

Middle management borders on incompetent, the union protects lazy employees, Human Resources is a joke

Cut out blanket training programs, for instance, I've never fallen off a ladder, sexually harassed anyone, stolen anything, or injured myself slipping on the ground, yet I sit through meetings about these topics annually. Seriously, every year.

Relocation required to "climb the ladder."

Current Employee - Engineer III
    Current Employee - Engineer III

I have been working at CenterPoint Energy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Relative lenient work environment. Stable industry. Large company that provides opportunity to move around inter-departmentally and regionally.

Cons

Relocation is an unspoken requirement to advance in the company, often times to make the jump from supervisor to manager. Work can often times be monotonous. Industry environment is highly regulated.

Be open to employees' family situations and responsibilities while determining the best candidates for open positions. Relocation should not be looked so highly upon.

My overall experience has been satisfactory. I've had some highs and lows

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at CenterPoint Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance is great. The overall work environment is nice

Cons

Salary is pretty low and not much room for growth and opportunities. Provide more training opportunities in various systems do analyst can be more well rounded

good place to work, but not to further career

I have been working at CenterPoint Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good salary and benefits, stable, good people, flexable schedules, no overtime

Cons

not lead by example, very political, people are promoted because of number of years at the company not because of skill set, no incentive or appreciation shown to employees that work hard and employees that don't pull their weight are allow to do so while others have to pick up their slack

Good solid company to work and retire from.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at CenterPoint Energy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This company has a great culture and leadership to work with day in and day out.

Cons

After working previously with another utility that had a great medical benefits package I was disappointed with what CenterPoint had to offer.

An HMO maybe an affordable option for others to chose.