CenterPoint Energy

Be The First To
Add Photos

CenterPoint Energy President, CEO, and Director David M. McClanahan

David M. McClanahan

Advancing in technology and has a lot of growth potential.

Houston, TX

ProsThere is a lot of growth potential and the leadership moving towards advanced technology. There is great life/work balance, great benefits, and the compensation is competitive. Very nice atmosphere.

ConsThey have been a bit slow into moving towards using technology so even though they are quickly closing this gap there is still a lot of improvements to be made for efficiency purposes.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe work life balance is great but the hours should be more flexible for salaried employees such as: if you come in at 7 you can leave at 4; if you come in at 8 you can leave at 5.....there should not be a set schedule. Most of the companies do not have a set schedule for professionals.

Great company

Intern (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsCenterPoint is a great company. Everyone's been nice and hard working. Great employee benefit. Can get a lot of help from any kinds of people, managers, analysts, directors, engineers, etc.

ConsThe only challenge may be understanding different work processes within this big energy firm. There are lots of things going on at the same time and you need to keep track of them. But as said it would be challenging and you really can get the most out of it.

Positive internship experience

Intern (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsCNP values their co-ops and interns. You're treated like an actual employee and work on projects that contribute to both the company and your learning. In addition to the facility tours and Lunch & Learns, they offer plenty of networking, professional development, and volunteer opportunities. Managers are approachable and co-workers are always willing to mentor and share their knowledge. Overall, it's a great place to begin an internship or co-op.

ConsNone. Didn't experience anything negative.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Internship Experience

Houston, TX

ProsThey treat you like a real employee and provide several opportunities for professional growth and learning such as etiquette classes, lunch with leadership, etc. Lots of free food!

ConsI really didn't experience any cons.

Great People, Great Salaries, Great Company

ProsAn employee centered, successful energy business.
    Career growth and potential is excellent.
    Employee engagement is a priority

ConsCompany footprint is large and makes communications sometimes a challenge

CenterPoint Energy is a wonderful company.

IT Technical Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsLimitless training, diversity, wonderful benefits, telecommuting and competitive salary.

ConsMust wait at least one year before promoting up to another position.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at the time.

It has been an honor to work as an Intern here.

Intern (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsAs a utility, CenterPoint offers job security like no other company can. CenterPoint cares about its employees and the excellent benefits are proof of that commitment.

ConsAs a regulated utility, salaries are not as high as other companies. CenterPoint must explain its expenses to the state.

Great place to work, with room for career growth.

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay, good benefits, lots of opportunities to move up, and CNP is really helpful in advancing their employee's education and value. Overall, I've been very impressed with the company so far. It is corporate, so it has its dumb rules that people don't like all the time, but for the most part it's a good place to work. Love that my job isn't my life!

ConsIt's corporate so rules can be a bit over bearing. Interdepartmentally issues can be a drag, but you'll see this in just about any company.

Fast paced and need employees that multi-task.

ProsHas opportunities to grow and be promoted and if you are able to relocate to other areas we serve you can move up even faster with this company.

ConsOlder work force that will take a lot of knowledge with them when they leave and most of the information they have learned isn't written down so the lack of cross training may hurt us later on.

Advice to Senior ManagementCross Train and show up unexpected to interview different employees on their turf to see how they really feel about the areas they wprk in and materials they work with,

A very large company that has the potential for growth, great working enviroment

Senior Technical Analyst (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsAbility to network within your own organization.

ConsSo large that some of the tasks that should only take a moment to accomplish takes a lifetime.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that departments are grouped in a way that focuses on team building relationships, not separate empires.

Worked for CenterPoint Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CenterPoint Energy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CenterPoint Energy CEO David M. McClanahan. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by CenterPoint Energy employees.