CenterPoint Energy

Profile Unclaimed

OK Place To Work

Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at CenterPoint Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very laid back, since they have no competitors. There is no urgency to get anything done. There seems to be some career advancement opportunitites, especially if you know the right people.

Cons

Very conservative place to work. Not alot of collaboration. Depending on your department, can be a bit unprofessional. Systems and processess seem "backwards." Although there seems to be opportunities to move up, there is not proffesional or career development available.

Get your experience and leave

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at CenterPoint Energy full-time

Pros

Decent salary, good benefits, SOME nice and knowledgeable people, nice building downtown, tuition reimbursement, and Houston METRO stipend.

Cons

There is so much to do with very little time to do it. By the time you leave here, you would've learned a whole lot of nothing, except for soft-skills. The environment is very political; they have an open-door policy, but the people with open doors are the politicians. Upper level management are just figure-heads with good ol' boy attitudes. Back-stabbing is constant, and there are egos galore. As someone mentioned previously, as long as you spout all the buzzwords you know during all your meetings, you'll do just fine! You can lie your way to a higher position.

I'll reiterate what everyone else is saying, and yes, they mentioned the whole "most of the company will be retiring" mantra to me as well.

A good place to end your career

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at CenterPoint Energy full-time

Pros

Good people, laid back environment, family-friendly workplace

Cons

No career planning. When asked about growth opportunities, the answer commonly given is that within 5 years 45% of the workforce will be of retirement age. I would prefer to be evaluated on my performance vs when people retire. There are also a lot of employees that do just what they need to get by. Putting in extra effort does not get you anywhere.

I loved the experience; was a great place to learn new skills.

Former Contractor - Administrative Associate in Little Rock, AR
    Former Contractor - Administrative Associate in Little Rock, AR

I worked at CenterPoint Energy as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Was able to work independently and if I need assistance it was there.

Cons

The position was dissolved; so I no longer had a position with the company.

Keep up the good work. I would like to see you hire directly rather than going through a temporary staffing agency.

Centerpoint Energy

Former Intern - Gas Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Gas Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at CenterPoint Energy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and great benefits long term. As inter it was a great experience.

Cons

Pay scale is not up to par with other companies.

Great internship experience

Former Intern - Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at CenterPoint Energy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Culture, Low pressure, compensation, Plenty of social activities

Cons

No room for growth, A lot of meetings, old technology

dead end job for ambition-less people

I worked at CenterPoint Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The good news is that you really have to make a huge screw up to get run off from this company. The bad news is that if you are anywhere in the area of the screw up, higher ups will try to pin it on you to deflect blame from themselves. Yeah, they are trying to incorporate a safe work environment, but if you don't do your work in the average allotted time, you will be on the short list if they have to have layoffs.

People get old, they die, and some retire. That is how you move up. And when that happens, its amusing to see the chain reactions of vacancies being filled from within because a worker moves up/out of the office.

Cons

The company is self insured for natural disasters. This means that if there are any Katrina, Rita or Ike scale hurricanes that hit their service areas, you can bet there will be a request for voluntary retirements within 6 months. If you are creeping up in age, you might be asked to "volunteer" to retire. The good news is that it opens up positions for subordinates to move into. The bad news is that once those positions are filled, and if you are overlooked, you will have to wait 5 years for a vacancy.

That being said, if you are willing to move around the country, you can move up the company quickly. But, if you don't do your job, you will be stuck in a dead end position for decades in who knows what small town.

Lastly, the managers that get promoted and that are allowed to stay in their positions "don't rock the boat" and tend to be "yes men". When cuts are to be made, you will be sacrificed at the altar of them having to do what it takes to keep themselves gainfully employed.

Quick managing your service centers by closing down the payment centers. Let workers interact with the customers more....restore the local payment centers. Nobody wants to have to go to the grocery store to pay a utility bill.

Restore some of the sales incentives that allowed the lowest workers to earn incentive points to redeem for trips at the end of the year. Working one's rear end off for a mediocre manager with no benefit is bad enough. At least the vacation trips made it worthwhile to endure the crummy hours and pay.

Its a great place to work!

Current Employee - Co-Op Electrical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Co-Op Electrical Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at CenterPoint Energy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

willing to work with you and make sure that you learn. They make sure that if you have things to take care of out side of work they help you adjust your schedule to make what ever you need to get done.

Cons

I really do nont have anything bad to say about this company.

Good place to work, most of the time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at CenterPoint Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part, it's a good company to be a part of. Compensation is below the market rate, but that is not surprising for a utility. Work-life balance is good and benefits are average. 9/80's are a perk, but that seems to be the going rate for many energy companies. Corporate culture seems to be improving, though you do still see that "old boys club" mentality at times.

Cons

The majority of employees at this company have been here most of their careers (20-30 yrs) so one of the primary challenges is a resistance to change. Also I think tenure/years at the company is rewarded more than exemplary work, or even education sometimes. It's incredibly frustrating. Soon, a large chunk of the employee population is going to retire and knowledge transfer is going to be an issue. Not much room for growth in every department, only some.

Focus on employee's merit and performance rather than years at the company.

CenterPoint Energy cares about it's employees

I have been working at CenterPoint Energy

Pros

I work with a great group of hard working individuals. They make my job enjoyable.

Cons

You have to pay for city parking every month at a minimum price of $50.

Leadership is great. They are understanding for time-off vacations.