Centerline Digital Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Centerline Digital Founder & CEO Charles Long
Charles Long

Make it what you want it to be

I have been working at Centerline Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers are supportive of your personal growth. If you talk to them about your personal goals, they will listen and help how they can. Talented people to learn from professionally and connect with socially. You don't have to be an order taker unless you choose to. Others will listen to your ideas and let you work on things you are passionate about. You just have to speak up. Overall your attitude towards your work influences how well you do here. If you don't like what you're doing and don't speak up, chances are you won't like it. If you maintain a positive attitude, stay eager to learn and try new things you will be successful.

Cons

Like any company, there are people who like to talk. Just don't contribute or listen to it and it won't affect you. Sometimes you have to work late to meet deadlines. Team members will usually work late with you so you don't have to do it alone.

Learn How Replaceable You Really Are

Former Employee - Writer
    Former Employee - Writer

I worked at Centerline Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Add 1–3 major brands to your resume, though the work itself may not make your portfolio because clients will strain out as much creativity as possible. -Learn how to achieve the coveted triumvirate of working hard, fast, and cheaply on multiple projects in the same week. -Cut your teeth in a fast-paced production setting. Because Centerline specializes in hiring new graduates with less experience, it's a solid place to build your resume. -Sharpen your creative skills by reiterating on the same animation or video one hundred times. -Befriend talented, smart people who will go on to better-paying jobs elsewhere and then help you get hired there. -Deflate your (probably large) artistic ego with regular reminders that there are lots of new graduates waiting to take your place. -Eat free pizza every Friday.

Cons

-Certain activities or practices may get you fired immediately and without warning. These are not written down or shared, but you will benefit from learning which employees are actually in positions of power and then never, ever crossing them. -You will probably need the regular infusions of alcohol that the in-house bar provides. -The company keeps very close tabs on what appears on your laptop screen and how long you are out of the office for lunch, doctor's appointments, or crying in the parking lot.

Advice to Management

It's clear that your business model works for you, you will not run out of new graduates to recruit, and that you're uninterested in learning from negative employee feedback on GlassDoor or elsewhere. And that's fine. It's your right, and your company is clearly making money from it. But please be more forthcoming about what your culture expects, how employees are monitored, and how quickly they can get fired. It's also problematic to reward select employees for writing glowing GlassDoor reviews to bring up the aggregate, rather than just coming clean about the Content Production Factory that Centerline is.

Many Perks - The Culture and The Benefits

I have been working at Centerline Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As others have said, hands down the best thing about Centerline is the people. They’re smart, they’ll challenge you and they’re absolutely fun to work with. Teamwork would be the best word to describe the crew – people come in every day to produce top-quality work, but also to create a friendly environment that you want to work in. Then there are the other perks – from the stocked kitchen and fitness hours (free classes at yoga studio/HEAT – on company time), to Pizza Fridays and the company outings (Durham Bulls games, cookouts, etc. – family welcome). All these things make it a great place to be, and you get to know your coworkers really well, really quickly. Last, there are the financial perks. The top two things are free healthcare and profit sharing. There’s also the Christmas party with some awesome gifts (headphones, Apple Watch, etc). A fully-paid gym membership. A fitness contest with prizes. Add all this up and it’s a huge bonus.

Cons

It IS an agency. So there will be a few times when you have to work overtime. This is just how the industry is. Go in with the expectation that once in a while you’ll have to put in more than 40 hours, and you’ll be fine.

Listen To The Reviews, Don't Waste Your Time

Former Employee - Writer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Writer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Centerline Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HR does a good job at hiring really awesome people. Your coworkers will help you get through the absolute monotony that is making the same video over and over and over again. You will all bond at how much you hate your job and your superiors.

Cons

I feel like I could write a novel-turned cinematic trilogy about the cons of this place. Management doesn't value you, your superiors do not value you, you are a number and a brain. You will come into work every day and plug in to your station on the assembly line and create the same boring piece of work every day. If you take one thing away from this review it's listen to the bad ones. The company offers incentives to people who write good ones so the good reviews are from people who are brainwashed by this place. They do not value creative. They do not value timelines. They do not value personal lives. They do not value you. Don't work here.

Advice to Management

Let your creatives be creative. Teach your accounts people how to stand up for creative. Get some clients who respect you and your timelines. You're not an agency right now, you're a sweatshop production house.

The worst, nastiest company I've been part of

Former Employee - Creative
    Former Employee - Creative

I worked at Centerline Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're reading this you're either 1. applying for an opening at Centerline or 2. just got fired from Centerline or 3. are checking on the latest gossip and drama at Centerline. I'll address the potential newbie because the rest are beyond help. So you want to work at Centerline. I'm going to be honest because you should know what you're getting into. Given my title you may find the next bit of advice surprising. If you're just out of school or you're desperate for a job then I say go for it. Here's the key thing you should know, though. Never stop looking for your next job after Centerline. Your coworkers are some of the smartest people in the building. Listen and learn from them because you might not be around for long.

Cons

You have to stay on the job hunt & building professional connections game because Centerline will actively try to take your agency away. It'll start slowly and behind a smile. "Can you log in (to the time tracking tool) when you're at your desk. And log in and out when you take breaks/go to lunch." Let that sink in for a minute. Next, Charles, their CEO, is a sadist when it comes to people's creative self-esteem. Your creative self-worth will be picked at. People will swoop in to drop confidence-crushing bombs and roll out. Charles and team will actively make you think they are the smartest people in every room, no matter the subject matter, and that your talent wither in their glorious light. You must keep looking for your next job while learning from your coworkers. Read the reviews, they will fire you (sooner than you might think). The best thing you can do is own your career and don't turn your work life and self-esteem over to a bunch of Joffrey Baratheon-types who only see you as their plaything. And here's my experience...so many cons Random firings. Someone was canned during my first week. One day they were there and the next they were not. No explanation given and the rest of the employees left just kept on going like nothing happened. The nonchalantness of the firing should have been a big red flag for me. Egomaniacs at the top and scared puppets in middle mgmt mean your boss isn't really your boss and don't expect any backup when it hits the fan. Backstabbing is real here. I've worked at places where people don't get along or there's some smack talking, but here cases are built to have people fired. If you're in, you're in. If you're out it's akin to being an exile. You will feel this immediately. Finally the big one, from my experience, nothing you do matters. Good work doesn't matter. Good reviews don't matter. I received a glowing review (top marks on everything with one area to improve on, and I admit I need to improve) and was fired the next week. This happened and it will happen again.

Advice to Management

I could write many pieces of advice based on what I saw and my experience both before and after Centerline. Instead I say this: Do everyone a favor and fire yourself.

Wish I would've read the reviews...

I worked at Centerline Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As many have stated there are plenty of talented and friendly people, pizza Friday's and an open bar after 4:30.

Cons

So I don't give myself away, I will keep it as generic as I can... At the end of the day though, why should I care!?! They didn't. 1. Expect to be micromanaged 2. Personal time off is scrutinized 3. Working outrageously late hours is ignored and unappreciated 4. Plenty of back-stabbers to keep you on your toes 5. Untruthful in interviews 6. Random & unwarranted firings 7. Under qualified management 8. Head-scratching promotions 9. Excessive turnover rate I'll stop there, you get the picture!

Advice to Management

You are dealing with livelihood and careers of people... ACT LIKE IT!

Just ask about the turn over

Pros

The bar opens at 4:30 to make you forget about the craziness

Cons

Just ask about the turn over rate for the account team.

Advice to Management

They don't need advice... they know what they are doing :)

9. Motion Graphics Animator

Former Employee - Motion Graphics Designer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Motion Graphics Designer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Centerline Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people and perks at this company are great and I loved every minute I worked here. As a matter of fact if any of my former coworkers reads this and visits Vegas you know who I am, get in touch and we'll have a drink. I was worried after ready the negative reviews before starting and actually brought them up during my interview. The managers answered my questions head on and didn't dance around any unpleasant answers. The projects have ample time to complete and you're almost always busy creating. If you're not busy on a client project they have a creative contest running to keep your skills sharp and varied. If you have any technical questions one of the other creatives is bound to have the answer. If you have any doubts about working here, don't, they are unfounded. I moved across the country to work here and would again if I had to.

Cons

Blue and gold gets boring, just kidding I have no cons. The only issue I ran into had nothing to do with the company. Nit picky clients are part of the job anywhere you go.

A Depressing Hole of Sameness

Former Employee - Creative in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Creative in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Centerline Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your co-workers: creatives and project management staff alike. Centerline often hires ridiculously talented people. Stay long enough and you will learn - at least on a technical level - some pretty serious stuff. You'll get better at what you do because you'll have a lot of projects to practice on. As a depot for picking up some beginner to intermediate trade craft, you could do much worse.

Cons

Nearly everything else, and it starts and ends with management. This is management that policed the internet and demonstrated near panic at any negative online reviews, so much so that they demanded employees post positive reviews to counteract the downward slide. This is management that tracks your movements - and makes you do the same - for time spent in the parking lot or in the john. This is management that has a track record of "all stick, no carrot" when it comes to motivating employees (over time, electronic gifts and booze are poor substitutes for a few, simple attaboys). And it's a management staff that consistently earns the same comments from those fortunate enough to get out intact. In short, Centerline does not value you, only your work. They do not keep you around for your talent, just your loyalty. They do not pay well for the work expected. They, and therefore you, do not have a life outside of work. They do not rule by clearly articulated guidelines. They do not inspire, do not have a viable long-term business strategy, and do not innovate. They do not practice what they preach. They do not have a thick enough skin to hear valid criticism - some that could actually help the company succeed. They do not play well with others. They do not have the perspective to understand that those who start companies are not always the best people to run them. They do not set realistic expectations, do not have a realistic view of their achievements or capabilities, and do not trust their own people. Consider: Would any company secure in itself and its future earn these types of comments over and over again? Would Coca-Cola? Would Apple? Would the frozen yogurt place down the street? And do you really want to devote your life and talents to a company that does?

Advice to Management

Your company is not a high school, so please stop treating it like one. And stop treating the world like idiots. To call yourself an agency means you should behave like one and do what real agencies do. Unfortunately, you don't. So I say, embrace what you are -- a production company. Period. You make stuff. Sometimes really good stuff. Let that be enough and leave the grand vision to those companies who are run by grand people - people who hire well, turn the hires loose to be creative, and then reap the rewards of that innovation. Don't be a company who hires great people then immediately hems them in with arcane rules and policies, and then gets bitter when they question why you hired them in the first place. You are not the easygoing, free-spirit, fount of creativity you think you are. But for the sake of everyone you hired today, try.

Waste, Fraud and Abuse

Former Employee - Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Centerline Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Perhaps the best thing about this organization is the free food, pizza and team-building outings they host. This group also provides new college graduates a chance to beef up their resume. However Centerline runs their office based on the values of deceit, manipulation and control.

Cons

The life/work balance expectations are a joke. They seem to think giving people fun (unnecessary) perks makes up for the way they disrespect they provide to their employees. The management is over-bearing which makes the ground-lings fear for their job.

RSS Feed </> Embed