Centerplate
www.centerplate.com Greenville, SC 5000+ Employees

Centerplate Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014
Centerplate – New Orleans – “Mercedes-Benz Superdome”

Centerplate President and CEO Desmond (Des) Hague

Desmond (Des) Hague

Pros:
  • "It is a fast paced business with a wide variety of events"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Great company for applicants if it were their first job or on up to management"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "As is typical in this industry we work long hours, many weekends and holidays"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Work/Life balance at the unit level is tough to achieve and maintain"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Pretty fun place to work.

Banquet Server (Former Employee)
    Pasadena, CA

ProsThe food, fun employees, always different, cool events. Full time shifts. Little supervision. Pay is good

ConsNot many days available, meaning you have to call in if there are shifts open. It can be a lot of work depending where the event is at (ex: walking back and forth, carrying heavy plates...etc). Otherewise, it's a pretty cool place if you're looking for extra income.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more shifts available.

Wonderful

Stand Prep (Current Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsThe Managers is nice and they work with every employee if something is not going right. They are a very fair company

ConsYou only work about four hour shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need more work hours

Entertaining, fun

Steward (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsI've learned a lot, trying to learn Spanish to better communicate with the rest of the employees. Learning a second language would also help me in my search for a work in my field.

ConsPromotions aren't likely, there's a union system and with just starting it's not likely all the hard work I'm doing will be seen or recognized. Not enough hours really worked to be noticed.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm happy with management, their doing what they can with a union setting the procedures there's not a lot that can be done.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting, busy atmosphere. Great for students

Stand Supervisor/Server (Former Employee)
    New Orleans, LA

Pros- Busy and exciting atmosphere of professional sports games and events
    - Fair pay for hours worked

Cons- Difficult to communicate effectively with management
    - Focus on managements own ideas and specifics rather than accommodating real experiences of employees

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to suggestions from experienced and successful staff members to improve overall service and efficiency.

Great opportunities with great company

Club Manager (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsThe warm welcome that I received upon starting with the team in Santa Clara has been a great start to what I hope to be a long career. The welcome was extended by the corporate execs that I had a chance to meet in my first few weeks. I received immediate training during my first week and was introduced to Centerplate University which will allow me to gain additional knowledge. All members of team strive for the same purpose and the actions back up the words.

ConsSo far - have not been exposed to any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the direction that we are going.

Great First Job

Reporting Analyst (Current Employee)
    Spartanburg, SC

ProsDecent training and working with the employee.

ConsLeadership seemed to not be open to changes within the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf someone asks to change departments, you should consider it.

The job is what you make of it

Beverage Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGet to be at large-scale events, good atmosphere. Company is showing progress after an embezzlement scandal, when I first started my franchise was extremely dis functional. Employees are very friendly to one another, and supportive of one another.

ConsManagement is somewhat out of touch, scheduled very sporadic some days are very long while others you get laid off. People are dramatic and company culture revolves around the various department crews.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more consistent with employees hours. Some weeks you have 20 hours, the next week 60+ hours and the third week 0 hours. This is how management cuts costs.

Executive Sous Chef

Executive Sous Chef (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsI love the development and support that we receive from upper management. I always feel like a team member and not on a need to know basis. The opportunity to travel within the company and support helps develop chefs and opens comfort in various venues

Consnot knowing or having a relationship with some of the corporate chefs and regional level chefs.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work stay positive and remember your roots the people beneath you are key components to the success of the operation. "The growth of your subordinates directly affects your own growth.

Hospitality Manager - Suites

Hospitality Manager - Suites (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

Pros" Making it better to be there!"
    Great team environment, no micro-managing, awesome communication thru out management levels. Centerplate is the worlds most admired Hospitality company. If you are in the hospitality industry and your passion is customer service, this is the place to be!

ConsCan't find anything I would change.

An energetic company with great leadership and culture! Centerplate has also recently expanded globally.

Management (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsA fast paced growing company with an excellent reputation and plenty of opportunity for personal growth!
    Leadership has done a tremendous job positioning Centerplate as being the best in Hospitality and best in it's space!

ConsOur industry is demanding and it is difficult balancing work and family time.
    This being the case, it remains very rewarding and there is a lot of fun in what we do!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the open lines of communication which have been established and continue building upon our great culture and success!

Worked for Centerplate? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Centerplate reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Centerplate CEO Desmond (Des) Hague. All 189 reviews posted anonymously by Centerplate employees.