Centerplate

Updated November 14, 2014
Updated November 14, 2014
3.9

Chris Verros

Pros
  • Exciting, fast paced work environment during professional event seasons (in 10 reviews)

• Great company for applicants if it were their first job or on up to management (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many events throughout the year & very long hours that can be a burden in your personal life (in 20 reviews)

• Hours are long, work life balance is non-existent (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Evolving Force in Hospitality

I have been working at Centerplate full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Developing new business and focused on retention of current business well balanced.

Cons

Not nearly enough qualified manager pools to share within accounts.

Develop a traveling team for major events.

Not bad money and not too hard of a job

Current Employee - Waiter in Saratoga Springs, NY
    Current Employee - Waiter in Saratoga Springs, NY

I have been working at Centerplate full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you know what your doing nobody seems to bother you.
    Money isn't bad at all depending on what location you work at.
    A lot of employees so if you need time off its not really a problem.

Cons

It can be hectic at times

Management Needs to Listen to Their People

I worked at Centerplate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Experience, Challenging and rewarding

Cons

Salaries are low. Especially for those who put in extremely long hours and work more than 60 hours a week.
    Management doesn't give credit to the right people.

You need to listen to your local teams. They are the ones driving the business. There ideas can improve the bottom line, increase revenues and client/customer satisfaction.

Concession

Current Employee - Concessions Manager in Tampa Palms, FL
    Current Employee - Concessions Manager in Tampa Palms, FL

I have been working at Centerplate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great health insurance, starting pay is good, work fun events. Managment teams are strong with the sales team.

Cons

No paid maternity leave. Work long hours and schedule is never the same hours wise. You work 40hrs one week and none the next. All based on events

Never a dull moment

Current Employee - Stock Clerk/Food Services/Cashier in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Stock Clerk/Food Services/Cashier in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Centerplate part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Met some amazing people working with this company. A lot of different personalities, but somehow it all worked. Most people are willing to help others. Scheduling was flexible and was always done to try and fit your needs.

Cons

Difficult to get promoted or it's just a very long process. Some people notice when you work hard, but don't get rewarded very often.

Bartender at Events, FootballGames

I worked at Centerplate part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really enjoyed working in Denver for this company. Lots of opportunities and diverse employees of all backgrounds and experiences. As with any job, there is good and bad, but always positive experiences and good money made over the years. Flexible with Schedules, always worked with me.

Cons

Sometimes training for new employees was lacking, and veterans end up teaching the right and wrong way to do things. Turnover for management seems pretty high in most cases.

Fast-paced exciting industry! Great opportunity for growth!

I have been working at Centerplate full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Growth Opportunities if willing to travel and relocate.
    Generous time-off earned for new employees.
    Fast-Paced environment.
    Perks associated with different venues.

Cons

Communication between departments.
    Compensation, what they consider to be entry level has may more responsibility.

need to forget this company

Former Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Centerplate full-time

Pros

Five properties with Centerplate in Louisville, so hourly employees can move to wherever work is. Avoid Fair Grounds and Convention Center. I am proud of the people I worked with, mostly all hourly employees. They care about work preformance and quality

Cons

I am removing Centerplate from my job history in hopes that I forget. Managers give away liquor to alcoholic employees, by the case. Client pays the bill for lost liquor. Salaried Managers have relationships with many hourly employees. Too many family members and friends of managers are given jobs they not qualified for. Micro-managing to the point of harassment. Senior Mangement team are unprofessional and should be removed before sued. Inventory lied about to corporate office. Payroll not done correctly.
    Staff bullied by others in management and nothing can be done. Employees that don’t play along are harassed. You report theft, you get written up. You tell temporary staff to stop screwing around and you are told to but out. Mistakes are chance to point fingers not resolve issues.
    HR is no help even screens anonymous complaint line. Not so anonymous! Would not recommend to anyone to work at Louisville locations. It is a tainted pool and the problems are at top.

Flush. Louisville Hub needs to be lookedat by corporate. There is reason people are quitting in large numbers. you are losing talented people and soon will lose contracts.

Would never work for Centeplate again

Current Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Centerplate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you lack work history you can get experience here, but little else.

Cons

Low pay, Long hours demanded, no comp time, managers are rude to the point of being abusive. Little to no chance to be prompted no matter how long you have been there. My manager told me I would never be promoted because I was too valuable where I was, while other favorites, who screwed up daily, were moved around until they could find something they could do.
    Worked every weekend and every night while slower, older people sat around or went home. It was not what was promised to me when I took the job. Entire Louisville Region is bad place to be. Similar abuse at other locations

The people were friendly and nice. Just dealing with drunks sometimes was a little off putting plus need more hours.

Former Employee - Cashier in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Spokane, WA

I worked at Centerplate part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy to work around, Got paid to be in a event center so got to hear and sometimes see some interesting events.

Cons

Drunks, Low hours since only worked when there was an event going on, Worked for low pay and low hours

Keep on top of whom you are placing in events and who is on vacation. Look at all the candidates for growth and what they have done for the company in the time present.

Centerplate Photos