Centex Homes

Be The First To
Add Photos

Centex Homes President and COO, West David L. Barclay

David L. Barclay

Not a bad pace to work at all

ProsPays well good people to work with

ConsLow standard for quality of work from employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHirer and retain talent

Great Builder to work for

ProsCentered on Customer Service and they always work to continue education and training.

ConsPurchased by Pulte Homes so the company culture is different

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep as many Centex Employees as possible.

Home Builder

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany which allows employees to be self managed and is respective industry company across the country who builds quality homes and provides active lifestyle communities.

ConsCompany ambitions during the peak of the industry's real estate boom to become the nation's largest homebuilder based on total closings for that fiscal year.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company should had the foresight to see that market conditions could none sustain the number of homes being constructed in an industry that fluctuates in 7 to 10 year cycles.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Centex was a Great Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOne of the best places I had worked. Management was reasonable. The small size of the IT team made it exciting, although we could specialize in our areas of expertise. The teams worked well together and we had the latest in hardware and software. A few things were less than desirable such as all the custom software apps; but they worked good enough.

ConsThe company no longer exists as it was bought/merged by Pulte.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery sad to see the company go.

Very wide scope of responsibility

Regional Director, Strategic Marketing (Former Employee)

Pros[DEPTH] Well, the job dealt with so many different aspects/departments within the company, I was able to have a direct impact on the success of the company (and see the impact), which was very rewarding. That was another important factor was being able to see the impact…the visibility. [VISIBILITY] It wasn’t a situation where you have meaningful insights, but don’t have the exposure or visibility to know if they were ever taken or acted upon. It was beneficial to see how one department or decision that may seem isolated, actually affects the operations of the entire division/company on a larger scale (which I think a lot of people aren’t fortunate enough to see). It was great to see specific recommendations and contributions put into action. [VARIETY] I also really liked the variety that the job offered, keeping the job interesting and exciting from day-to-day. I enjoy learning new things, and the research/consumer behavior/market trends side of the job made it a constant learning experience. I also enjoyed the ability to spread the knowledge and new findings to those interested.

ConsI really did like most aspects of the job, but if I had to pick my least favorite, I’d say…it had a bit of a technology hurdle that sometimes made it difficult to execute as well as desired. Just to give you one example, we were required to use the internal email marketing system that was developed many years ago, but unfortunately had received very little update or maintenance to stay current with changing technologies and trends (which is obviously important with a technology that is SO DYNAMIC). Email marketing programs can be a huge benefit, but we were dealing with a system that lacked most of the functionality offered by current programs (for design, tracking, content customization, etc, etc) and also inhibited the delivery rates (given changes in spamming/junk mail/filters/etc). The real frustration came from the lack of flexibility (to use third party systems) and cooperation from corporate to get the attention/updates/changes that was needed. Understandably, there were a lot of other distractions and issues to deal with, but I also think there was a general lack of understanding within the company of the tech issues that affected prioritization.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more responsive to local division feedback regarding trends and market dynamics vs a top-down directive regarding things such as incremental growth initiatives that were heavily encouraged across the board to stay in good standing and helped lead to the bust.

Field Manager

Field Manager II (Former Employee)

Prosadvancement opportunities, excellent training and professional development opportunities, given high level of responsibilities, great benefits

Consindustry highly affected by economic conditions,

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate more clearly to lower level employees

Gone but not forgotten

Purchasing Agent (Former Employee)

ProsGreat team atmosphere and respect for employees.
    Practice what they preach - Do the Right Thing.
    Respectful (for the most part) of Trade Partners.

ConsIndecisive, may start down a road, which involves a lot of work and then pull back and go down another road. Seemed to come from corporate level or lack of communication between corporate and local management.
    Rushed to quickly on some decisions and actions that would end up being very costly.
    Corporate and upper management was not as aware of the intricacies of our particular market. Made many assumptions that markets were very similar when trying to capitalize on the supply chain.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck as Pulte Homes. I hope the combining of two of the largest national builders will help in weathering this economic downturn. I don't know much about Pulte but I wish Centex had been the business to continue. Hopefully, Pulte will adopt many of the Centex philosophies and practices. From a purchasing standpoint, we made some extraordinary breakthroughs in many of the processes we were implementing.

Treat Sales people horribly

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits are pretty good

ConsIn this economy its still 100% commission and you STILL work every weekend to make NOOOOOOO money! On top of that they are constantly telling sales we need to work harder and we're not doing enough

Advice to Senior Managementtreat your sales people with respect and show them you appreciate them taking time away from their family to come into work even though they arent making money

Worked for Centex Homes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Centex Homes reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Centex Homes CEO David L. Barclay. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Centex Homes employees.