Centex Homes

Updated October 13, 2014
3.8

Centex Homes President and COO, West David L. Barclay
David L. Barclay

No complaints, I left to redirect my career and would like to go back to work for Centex in a different position

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Portland, OR

I worked at Centex Homes

Pros

The company is well organized and well run, the people are generally good to work with

Cons

Starting salaries a little low, may take several years to get into the higher salary category

Good luck - I'm glad I'm not a homebuilding exec right now

Stay as far away from Centex as Possible

Former Employee - Construction Services Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Construction Services Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Centex Homes

Pros

If you are not a very high level manager at Centex, there really is nothing good about working for them. They treat their employees very badly and do not respect opinions or input.

Cons

Centex is a company that believes in getting as much as they possibly can for as little as possible. In the three years I worked there, I received one raise of 1.5% and after my second year I received another raise of 1% even though I had outstanding reviews. Each year, we received a promise that salaries would be reviewed again mid year, or that it was a temporary issue and more money would be available the next year, but after talking to other people that had been with the company for a while, those same promises had been given out for years. I was a witness to several instances of sexual harrassment, and when those issues were brought forward, the offending manager was promoted and moved to another division or department instead of being let go. Centex intimidates, threatens and basicly extorts it's subcontractors in order to get work done for less than the fair market value of the work, and they continuously look for ways to cut corners and build their houses cheaper and cheaper producing a very low quality home that will cause the new buyers years of heartburn trying to get corrected.

Stop promoting problems hoping they will go away, and start promoting people based on their merit and ability. Invest in your employees. If they truly are your greatest asset as you claim, then treat them as if they are. Respect your customers. Stop trying to run the entire country from Dallas. You can't and don't know what is going on at the division level from 1,500 miles away. David Barclay just took over for Tim Eller, so maybe he will change the way things were, but the fact that Eller was promoted even though the homebuilding side was in shambles shows that Centex does not care about ability.

It was a great work atmosphere and I loved the training

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Centex Homes

Pros

Centex was a great supporter of promoting from within, They recognized and rewarded people for working hard. Great benefits as well.

Cons

Centex Homes was a great place to work, and I was very disappointed when they decided to pull out of the area that I was working in.

I had two sales managers while I was at Centex Homes. Both were very interested in seeing that people were rewarded for their contributions to profits. Positive reinforcement goes a lot further that negativity.

Not a bad pace to work at all

I have been working at Centex Homes

Pros

Pays well good people to work with

Cons

Low standard for quality of work from employees.

Hirer and retain talent

Great Builder to work for

I have been working at Centex Homes

Pros

Centered on Customer Service and they always work to continue education and training.

Cons

Purchased by Pulte Homes so the company culture is different

Keep as many Centex Employees as possible.

Home Builder

I worked at Centex Homes

Pros

Company which allows employees to be self managed and is respective industry company across the country who builds quality homes and provides active lifestyle communities.

Cons

Company ambitions during the peak of the industry's real estate boom to become the nation's largest homebuilder based on total closings for that fiscal year.

The company should had the foresight to see that market conditions could none sustain the number of homes being constructed in an industry that fluctuates in 7 to 10 year cycles.

Centex was a Great Place to Work

I worked at Centex Homes

Pros

One of the best places I had worked. Management was reasonable. The small size of the IT team made it exciting, although we could specialize in our areas of expertise. The teams worked well together and we had the latest in hardware and software. A few things were less than desirable such as all the custom software apps; but they worked good enough.

Cons

The company no longer exists as it was bought/merged by Pulte.

Very sad to see the company go.

Very wide scope of responsibility

Former Employee - Regional Director, Strategic Marketing
    Former Employee - Regional Director, Strategic Marketing

I worked at Centex Homes

Pros

[DEPTH] Well, the job dealt with so many different aspects/departments within the company, I was able to have a direct impact on the success of the company (and see the impact), which was very rewarding. That was another important factor was being able to see the impact…the visibility. [VISIBILITY] It wasn’t a situation where you have meaningful insights, but don’t have the exposure or visibility to know if they were ever taken or acted upon. It was beneficial to see how one department or decision that may seem isolated, actually affects the operations of the entire division/company on a larger scale (which I think a lot of people aren’t fortunate enough to see). It was great to see specific recommendations and contributions put into action. [VARIETY] I also really liked the variety that the job offered, keeping the job interesting and exciting from day-to-day. I enjoy learning new things, and the research/consumer behavior/market trends side of the job made it a constant learning experience. I also enjoyed the ability to spread the knowledge and new findings to those interested.

Cons

I really did like most aspects of the job, but if I had to pick my least favorite, I’d say…it had a bit of a technology hurdle that sometimes made it difficult to execute as well as desired. Just to give you one example, we were required to use the internal email marketing system that was developed many years ago, but unfortunately had received very little update or maintenance to stay current with changing technologies and trends (which is obviously important with a technology that is SO DYNAMIC). Email marketing programs can be a huge benefit, but we were dealing with a system that lacked most of the functionality offered by current programs (for design, tracking, content customization, etc, etc) and also inhibited the delivery rates (given changes in spamming/junk mail/filters/etc). The real frustration came from the lack of flexibility (to use third party systems) and cooperation from corporate to get the attention/updates/changes that was needed. Understandably, there were a lot of other distractions and issues to deal with, but I also think there was a general lack of understanding within the company of the tech issues that affected prioritization.

Be more responsive to local division feedback regarding trends and market dynamics vs a top-down directive regarding things such as incremental growth initiatives that were heavily encouraged across the board to stay in good standing and helped lead to the bust.

Field Manager

Former Employee - Field Manager II
    Former Employee - Field Manager II

I worked at Centex Homes

Pros

advancement opportunities, excellent training and professional development opportunities, given high level of responsibilities, great benefits

Cons

industry highly affected by economic conditions,

communicate more clearly to lower level employees

Gone but not forgotten

Former Employee - Purchasing Agent
    Former Employee - Purchasing Agent

I worked at Centex Homes

Pros

Great team atmosphere and respect for employees.
    Practice what they preach - Do the Right Thing.
    Respectful (for the most part) of Trade Partners.

Cons

Indecisive, may start down a road, which involves a lot of work and then pull back and go down another road. Seemed to come from corporate level or lack of communication between corporate and local management.
    Rushed to quickly on some decisions and actions that would end up being very costly.
    Corporate and upper management was not as aware of the intricacies of our particular market. Made many assumptions that markets were very similar when trying to capitalize on the supply chain.

Good luck as Pulte Homes. I hope the combining of two of the largest national builders will help in weathering this economic downturn. I don't know much about Pulte but I wish Centex had been the business to continue. Hopefully, Pulte will adopt many of the Centex philosophies and practices. From a purchasing standpoint, we made some extraordinary breakthroughs in many of the processes we were implementing.