Centex

Centex Chairman, President, CEO, and COO Tim Eller

Tim Eller

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat benefits, company family oriented

Conscompany bought out by competitor

This is a good place to grow in your career. There are new opportunities all the time.

Database Administration Assistant (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThis is a stable growing company with new opportunities offered regularly. After you are here for a while, they offer to pay for your education.

ConsIt takes a very long time to get a job at this company. I worked as a contractor for 2 years before being accepted as a permanent employee.

Review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDidn't work there for long. Not much to say. It was a more or less pleasant experience while I was there.

ConsThe company seemed somewhat disorganized, although it may have just appeared that way to me because I didn't get much insight into the company's workings.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I thought my experience was just peachy.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsI had great co-workers to work with.

ConsIt was a bad atmosphere towards the end.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest you keep looking

great company, good products

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosvalues, fairness, fun, customer focused

Constoo decentralized, need more process

Advice to Senior Managementstay independent

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork hard play hard with coworkers that become friends. You can take personal pride in the product created and the need it serves. Many talented employees willing to go the extra mile and work hard.

ConsIndustry in chaos. The company was gutted of talent to survive the housing crisis. Some local management poor decisions cost big bucks

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks! Great place to work.

Centex... Bye Bye

Land Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI loved Centex. The people were great, the recognition was fair, their was great communication, the products were something to be proud of, they instilled a sense of development within all employees, and they encouraged inovation. All that's, as you may have noticed, in the past-tense. See the downsides I posted about the company being acquired by Pulte for further information.

ConsNone anymore. Centex was just acquired, or is in the process of being acquired, by Pulte Homes. So, don't come knocking on Centex's door looking for a job. Instead, look towards Pulte Homes. But even then, as Pulte is a ~3500 employee company and Centex is a ~2500 employee company they are going to have to hack away at headcount... not add to it.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully you all get to stick around at Pulte.

Centex is a good company to work for.

Lead Field Manager (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsCompany has good procedures and schedules to ensure closings are met.

ConsYou need tp be part of your manager's in crowd if potential layoffs are possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet each division have more say when it comes to employee levels.

Thank you for the job and training- wish we were in better times.

Field Manager II (Former Employee) Reno, NV

ProsA good place to grow and learn during good economic times. There was plenty of training, sometimes too much. Always had the tools necessary to perform the job at hand.

ConsLarge corporate entity, you are just a number and a means to make management look good and the bottom line for stock holders. Noticed that it was a bit top heavy, way too many folks in the office. When cut backs happened the efficiency of the office support team improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire and maintain people in construction management that have a background in construction. Their were a lot of fine folks in our area, but many had no clue how to build a house and deal with subs and inspectors.

The Home Building industry tumbles, Centex does its best to ride it through.

Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat team environment, and there is vision for a direction, even if things don't look rosey right now.

ConsThe industry's current downturn is definitely having its effect.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealistic and timely communications are the best thing you can do for us.

Worked for Centex? Contribute to the Community!