Centinela Feed

Add Photos

Chris Nakagawa

They break you down

Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsExcellent nutrition education, health benefits if full time, decent pay for management

ConsImpossible to move up, they cripple their staff, no breaks, very demanding, bad energy

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your workers. Stop trying to just push them out.

Bad experience!

General Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWorking with animals, as well as gaining a lot of knowledge pertaining to pet nutrition and pet health.

ConsHigh turnover of management due the lack of accountability of the decision makers. Senior management has little to no business sense. They make bad decisions, which are constantly changing, and blame management when the sales and business do not go where they want it to. They have no loyalty, and do not acknowledge or praise the good things. They only focus on the negatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are a lot of competitors opening in the same areas. Work on a better reputation towards your employees. Customers can see how employees are treated and will not shop with you, Change the person making the decisions for your stores, before she runs it into the ground.

Pain in my everything.

Retail (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsSome of the best things about working here are getting to help customers improve the life and health of their pets. If you have your own pets, you'll also get to learn quite a bit about how to take care of them better! (And the discounts you get are awesome.)

ConsPretty much everything else about working here. When I started at Centinela Feed, I was in pretty good physical condition. Now I'm in physical pain almost all the time. When I wake up my feet are throbbing, when I go to sleep my ribs and back are killing me, the list could go on.

The list of your responsibilities is endless. Customer service, cleaning, doing load, fronting and facing, doing carry outs, ringing, studying for your "raise", doing general up keep of the products...it's too much for one person to be expected to do all at the same time.

On top of the physical pain, the management is a pain all in itself. The rules are constantly being changed, as well as the schedules, to the point that half the staff has no idea what their doing and the other half is just making everything up as they go. There is also zero appreciation for the lower level staff. Go ahead, unload two pallets of 30lb dog food by yourself, sweep the store, mop the store, front and face everything and you won't hear a peep from your manager. But the second you make a mistake, you will never hear the end of it.

They like to tell you that there's a dollar raise on the table, if you get 100% on all your required tests of course, and they must be completed within the first six months of your employment, but they never give you time to study for the tests! People have to beg and fight and claw for a 10 cent raise and almost no employee gets that dollar because the management just keeps them from getting to take them.

They say they're customer service oriented, and that its all about the customer, but its a straight up lie. It is all about the numbers. They put up signs everywhere about "SAVE 15% TODAY ON THIS ITEM" and when customers inquire about it, we have to tell them that its only with the Centinela Card that they must sign up to get. And we have to jam this card down their throat. Every single customer.

Management will straight up change the rules against you if they don't like you.

When faced with a complaint, HR and the GM will ignore it. They will continue to ignore it until the person complaining about serious issues straight up quits, and then comes back saying "Well, they were childish."

After working here for 6 months, I noticed one very big thing. I didn't have a social life anymore. I didn't hang out with friends, I didn't go out to parties or dinners. I didn't even really see my family. My life consisted of wake up, work, sleep, repeat.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN TO YOUR STAFF! While you're locked in your office doing god knows what, you're staff is out their busting their butts. We need your help. And we look to you for help and support. Please supply it!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A taste of hell...

Slave (Current Employee)

ProsYou'll gain some knowledge mainly through talking to senior staff because the handbook is outdated and full of references to products no longer available at CF. You'll make some really good friends and meet interesting people and their adorable pets!

ConsWhat are some of the challenges of working here? Haha! Everything about working at Centinela is a challenge. I have worked retail before and I fully understand what working in the customer service field is but this place is a special little slice of hell.

Favoritism is a BIG issue with this company if someone doesn't like you the rules will be changed to make you look bad. Always. I've seen A LOT of good people leave because of how unfairly they were treated.

Inconsistency is another problem and management for some reason cant find a way to communicate any problems with staff or with eachother. In some cases it goes as far as changing the schedule without informing staff causing confusion.

The discount system is terrible they basically have us harass customers into signing up for the card because they want to get them on their email list. They cannot make up their mind on whether to give discounts to the elderly. LOTUS, LOTUS, LOTUS if you dont know what that is you better learn how its the best food ever made. When I took this job I sincerely thought it was going to be more about customers and their pets not about pushing product down their throat. Harassment is not strong enough a word for what we have to do.

Pay sucks for the amount of work, we, the regular grunts do... we help customers, clean, organize, detail, do carry-outs, set up displays, decorate the store for events, mop up messes, refill litter and all sorts of all wonderfully exhausting things without a single "good job" or thanks from management but at least some customers notice, they know that this is a terrible job. They will fight you tooth and nail over a $0.10 raise, I am not kidding. The yearly reviews are copy and paste maybe they'll change a few words just enough to not get in trouble.

Lastly, management is awful. I believe they're like that because of how unfair 'corporate' is but sometimes I cant help but feel its because they're as lost as we are. Since CF hardly ever hires from within some of the managers are untrained and clueless about how to do anything. Some managers don't even try to help and others throw staff or other managers under the bus because they are unwilling to admit their faults or because they just dont care or because they want to get a leg up in the company. I've witnessed staff concerns dismissed as trivial even when it comes to health concerns or be mocked by management because of an illness.

This is the worst company I have ever worked for. Everyday I have to go to work I feel myself die a little inside.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff! PLEASE!

Don't waste your time!

Anonymous (Former Employee) Long Beach, CA

ProsMy coworkers, building relationships with the dogs, and costumers.

ConsEverything about this company. They break you down. You'll never see a raise, or a promotion. They'll tell you that you'll be able to get a dollar raise after completing tests, yet they'll never give you time to study. I witnessed the managers push people to quit, or plan ways to get them fired. They'll do anything to break you down if they don't like you. I watched great employees (over 10+ in 1 year) quit because of the way management treated them. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a fun work environment (it's a freakin' pet store!) stop with the average ticket bull crap, pay your employees better, and maybe then your turnover rate wouldn't be so high.

Highest turnover

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsSalary & benefits. Learn a lot regarding pet care

ConsEverything else. They dont appreciate you, they change the rules based in who you are. And if they dont like u, ur in for a treat. They literally plot against you. Seen it happen to many times. Turnover is ridiculous esp of the management level.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe, if the issues were addressed professionally you'd get some where. Its family owned and treated like so. The rules are in place for when its convenient to use them

Fun Place to Work

ProsFun, Educational, Customer Service, Management, Training

ConsThe only con for me was the pay was to basic for all the training required and expecations.

Seems way better on paper

ProsLearn about animal nutrition...that's it
    You also do get to interact with interesting people each day you work
    And lastly wearing that shirt gives you unlimited access to petting any dog you want ( don't get bit though bro)

ConsTotally biased
    Upper management
    Pressure
    Little to no recognition from upper management when getting the job done. You welcome for hitting those numbers ?

Advice to Senior ManagementWay pushy. Chill out bros. Seriously I've met people who drive like 45-50 min to get some dog food , I in good conscious , cannot seriously push them into buying more stuff.
    Pay could be higher in my opinion but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ you know grass is greener I suppose.
    But in all honesty stores are getting affected by upper management , this store is pretty chill guys, and in my humble opinion , associates are carrying this team (straight up backpacking this company) so put the breaks on the pushy salesman approach. I understand that this store has been around for decades, but , the sales techniques of the past don't work in this day and age. We live in a time where fast and easy are what makes people happy, surrounding customers like vultures are turning them away.

End of rant

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

5 years sales staff and management

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Prosyou get to see lots of fun people and dogs that come into the store. you get to know your customers. you learn a LOT about pet nutrition and pet care in general. you also learn about sales techniques, inventory, etc.

Conshorrible pay. tyrannical management is not only allowed but encouraged. if you have a problem with someone in management, you are screwed. they are very strict about keeping time and quick to write you up about that, or anything else. you are expected to keep a high average ticket ($$$$) with each customer, with little regard to actual customer count, coupons, discounts, etc. you are forced to push their in house brand of food and no one will be happy when those numbers are not high. manangement is encourgaed to hover and micromanage and and give commands rather than be as a leader of a team. you can and will get written up for anything and everything and corporate is just fine with that. once you're in management, same thing - you have a problem with the GM or ASM, you are definetly out. they will make sure of it. if you feel like putting yourself through sales and management with a dash of pet nutrition and random pet facts, with low pay and little encouragement, i would say try Centinela. but i can't recommend anyone ever inflict themself with working for this horrible company.

Advice to Senior Managementget it together, continue to organize. stop being so shady about everything. take better care of your employees. do what you say you do. trust your employees more. listen to your employees.

Opportunity to stand out

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFamily owned & operated so a very different non corporate vibe. Very passionate owners and upper management so initiative and work ethic can go a long way in place of experience for new hires. Customers are awesome and love the chain. Making a recommendation Improving a pets health is very satisfying when you see or hear about the result weeks or months later.

ConsNot for everyone. Very focussed on customer service and a high productivity. You have to like retail and customers (even challenging ones) to last here. The same passion that family owned brings can also bring frustration.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to get more organized. Every store runs pretty different. Hard to adapt for outside managers and even harder for managers moving between stores.

Worked for Centinela Feed? Contribute to the Community!