Centinela Feed

They break you down

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Centinela Feed full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent nutrition education, health benefits if full time, decent pay for management

Cons

Impossible to move up, they cripple their staff, no breaks, very demanding, bad energy

Listen to your workers. Stop trying to just push them out.

Slave

Former Employee - Cashier, Janitor, Pet Expert, Flea Expert Etc  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier, Janitor, Pet Expert, Flea Expert Etc in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Centinela Feed part-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll meet friendly and knowledgeable people who are genuinely interested in helping customers with their pet needs. Which is probably the only good thing about Centinela Feed... they hire good people and teach them about pet nutrition, but they do so out of outdated, torn up handbooks so staff has to find other ways to learn. They will usually learn from senior staff and some managers that are willing to help. Customers for the most part are nice and their pets are incredibly fun!

Cons

Centinela Feed is terrible, they have an incredibly high quit rate. Everything from managers to new hires quit because they are treated unfairly or because the higher ups really do not care. I saw good people resign from their job because management push them out by starting petty fights or bad mouthing them. It is definitely not the place to work for if you wish to be acknowledged for your hard work... they do not believe in thanking you for everything you'll be doing. And trust me you'll be doing a lot! Just go in and ask the current workers how much their back hurts or better yet ask them if they've taken their breaks... some managers do not understand that it is in their job description to manage their workers breaks and lunches. I can't remember the number of times I went without a break or the amount of times my hours were cut short because a manager wanted to leave early and it doesn't matter how many times you complain about something corporate doesn't care... I just don't know why anyone would inflict this type of punishment for minimum wage. The saddest part is that this is a pet supplies store and it wasn't fun some of the managers encouraged us to build relationships with the pets and their owners only to turn around and have us either harass them into buying Lotus or getting them to buy more so that the average ticket is higher at the end of the day... I hated working there. I am so happy I am finally out!

Corporate needs to hire from within... there aren't any other people who are more qualified than your employees... why would you hire people who 1. Do not know the product and 2. Do not know about pets? It makes no sense to me to hire a person who after 6 months of working at cf is still unqualified for their position... they still rely on senior staff for answers. Also treat your staff better... part of the reason your customer count sucks is that they see how you treat your staff and do not like it.

Horrible Company because of management.

Former Employee - Team Member  in  Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Team Member in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at Centinela Feed part-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent Training, stay for six months and any pet store is going to look at you. Really there isn't much else in pros.

Cons

Low Pay. Unfair raising system. Management only cares about sales but the company says all the care about is pets. WRONG. It was one of the worst jobs I ever had. I have actually heard rumor that the management is encouraged to yell at lower staff. They only care about pushing their own products.

Stop worrying so much about sales, sales come with good customer service. Good customer service comes from actually treating employees right and paying them right.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad experience!

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Centinela Feed full-time

Pros

Working with animals, as well as gaining a lot of knowledge pertaining to pet nutrition and pet health.

Cons

High turnover of management due the lack of accountability of the decision makers. Senior management has little to no business sense. They make bad decisions, which are constantly changing, and blame management when the sales and business do not go where they want it to. They have no loyalty, and do not acknowledge or praise the good things. They only focus on the negatives.

There are a lot of competitors opening in the same areas. Work on a better reputation towards your employees. Customers can see how employees are treated and will not shop with you, Change the person making the decisions for your stores, before she runs it into the ground.

Pain in my everything.

Current Employee - Retail  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Retail in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Centinela Feed part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the best things about working here are getting to help customers improve the life and health of their pets. If you have your own pets, you'll also get to learn quite a bit about how to take care of them better! (And the discounts you get are awesome.)

Cons

Pretty much everything else about working here. When I started at Centinela Feed, I was in pretty good physical condition. Now I'm in physical pain almost all the time. When I wake up my feet are throbbing, when I go to sleep my ribs and back are killing me, the list could go on.

The list of your responsibilities is endless. Customer service, cleaning, doing load, fronting and facing, doing carry outs, ringing, studying for your "raise", doing general up keep of the products...it's too much for one person to be expected to do all at the same time.

On top of the physical pain, the management is a pain all in itself. The rules are constantly being changed, as well as the schedules, to the point that half the staff has no idea what their doing and the other half is just making everything up as they go. There is also zero appreciation for the lower level staff. Go ahead, unload two pallets of 30lb dog food by yourself, sweep the store, mop the store, front and face everything and you won't hear a peep from your manager. But the second you make a mistake, you will never hear the end of it.

They like to tell you that there's a dollar raise on the table, if you get 100% on all your required tests of course, and they must be completed within the first six months of your employment, but they never give you time to study for the tests! People have to beg and fight and claw for a 10 cent raise and almost no employee gets that dollar because the management just keeps them from getting to take them.

They say they're customer service oriented, and that its all about the customer, but its a straight up lie. It is all about the numbers. They put up signs everywhere about "SAVE 15% TODAY ON THIS ITEM" and when customers inquire about it, we have to tell them that its only with the Centinela Card that they must sign up to get. And we have to jam this card down their throat. Every single customer.

Management will straight up change the rules against you if they don't like you.

When faced with a complaint, HR and the GM will ignore it. They will continue to ignore it until the person complaining about serious issues straight up quits, and then comes back saying "Well, they were childish."

After working here for 6 months, I noticed one very big thing. I didn't have a social life anymore. I didn't hang out with friends, I didn't go out to parties or dinners. I didn't even really see my family. My life consisted of wake up, work, sleep, repeat.

LISTEN TO YOUR STAFF! While you're locked in your office doing god knows what, you're staff is out their busting their butts. We need your help. And we look to you for help and support. Please supply it!

Don't waste your time!

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Centinela Feed full-time for more than a year

Pros

My coworkers, building relationships with the dogs, and costumers.

Cons

Everything about this company. They break you down. You'll never see a raise, or a promotion. They'll tell you that you'll be able to get a dollar raise after completing tests, yet they'll never give you time to study. I witnessed the managers push people to quit, or plan ways to get them fired. They'll do anything to break you down if they don't like you. I watched great employees (over 10+ in 1 year) quit because of the way management treated them. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!!!

Create a fun work environment (it's a freakin' pet store!) stop with the average ticket bull crap, pay your employees better, and maybe then your turnover rate wouldn't be so high.

Highest turnover

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Centinela Feed full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary & benefits. Learn a lot regarding pet care

Cons

Everything else. They dont appreciate you, they change the rules based in who you are. And if they dont like u, ur in for a treat. They literally plot against you. Seen it happen to many times. Turnover is ridiculous esp of the management level.

Maybe, if the issues were addressed professionally you'd get some where. Its family owned and treated like so. The rules are in place for when its convenient to use them

Seems way better on paper

I have been working at Centinela Feed part-time

Pros

Learn about animal nutrition...that's it
    You also do get to interact with interesting people each day you work
    And lastly wearing that shirt gives you unlimited access to petting any dog you want ( don't get bit though bro)

Cons

Totally biased
    Upper management
    Pressure
    Little to no recognition from upper management when getting the job done. You welcome for hitting those numbers ?

Way pushy. Chill out bros. Seriously I've met people who drive like 45-50 min to get some dog food , I in good conscious , cannot seriously push them into buying more stuff.
    Pay could be higher in my opinion but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ you know grass is greener I suppose.
    But in all honesty stores are getting affected by upper management , this store is pretty chill guys, and in my humble opinion , associates are carrying this team (straight up backpacking this company) so put the breaks on the pushy salesman approach. I understand that this store has been around for decades, but , the sales techniques of the past don't work in this day and age. We live in a time where fast and easy are what makes people happy, surrounding customers like vultures are turning them away.

End of rant

Fun Place to Work

I have been working at Centinela Feed

Pros

Fun, Educational, Customer Service, Management, Training

Cons

The only con for me was the pay was to basic for all the training required and expecations.

5 years sales staff and management

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Centinela Feed full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

you get to see lots of fun people and dogs that come into the store. you get to know your customers. you learn a LOT about pet nutrition and pet care in general. you also learn about sales techniques, inventory, etc.

Cons

horrible pay. tyrannical management is not only allowed but encouraged. if you have a problem with someone in management, you are screwed. they are very strict about keeping time and quick to write you up about that, or anything else. you are expected to keep a high average ticket ($$$$) with each customer, with little regard to actual customer count, coupons, discounts, etc. you are forced to push their in house brand of food and no one will be happy when those numbers are not high. manangement is encourgaed to hover and micromanage and and give commands rather than be as a leader of a team. you can and will get written up for anything and everything and corporate is just fine with that. once you're in management, same thing - you have a problem with the GM or ASM, you are definetly out. they will make sure of it. if you feel like putting yourself through sales and management with a dash of pet nutrition and random pet facts, with low pay and little encouragement, i would say try Centinela. but i can't recommend anyone ever inflict themself with working for this horrible company.

get it together, continue to organize. stop being so shady about everything. take better care of your employees. do what you say you do. trust your employees more. listen to your employees.

Worked for Centinela Feed? Contribute to the Community!