Central Desktop

Central Desktop Reviews

2.8

Central Desktop CEO Isaac Garcia
Isaac Garcia

Great culture, fun environment, and start up feel

I have been working at Central Desktop full-time

Pros

Dynamic company with great team members.
    Mgmt is open to listening on how we can improve internal and external processes.
    Fun company events.
    Snacks,, lax dress code, and in a fun part of Pasadena.

Cons

Wish the two offices were combined
    Need more dept meeting updates

Keep up the team building events and product development and innovation.

Hope is not a strategy.

I worked at Central Desktop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you live in LA, are early in your career, and are looking for a stepping stone to something better in a year or two... this could be an option. There are some sharp folks that work there, but CD is a sinking ship.

Cons

Everyone wants to like this company and the CEO... but the reality is the company is a sinking ship and the CEO isn't the right person to lead a company (nice guy but over his head).

New enterprise business is almost non existent, and current customers are not renewing their service at an alarming rate.

Examples of weak leadership:

- Hiring a large sales team (then firing 90% of them) before the solution has real traction (this fundamental error has occurred at least twice).
    - Constant changes in focus. 1. general collaboration solution. 2. Ad agency solution (oops it isn't a fit because of obvious holes in the solution). 3. Selling to marketing decision makers at large brands (because that's what others companies are doing).
    - No VP of Sales for 18 months and counting.
    - Zero trust within the company. CEO outwardly admits he doesn't trust salespeople (even though his background is sales).
    - Faux culture.
    The solution at it's core is a "Poor Man's Sharepoint" and has no real area that it excels in... so it's up to the customer to determine their Use Case (good luck with that strategy).

Bring in new Exec team, or sell the company.

I worked for CD for almost 2 years as a developer.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Anaheim Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Anaheim Hills, CA

I worked at Central Desktop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sophisticated development process. Knowledgeable and talented coworkers. This includes the management in the Orange County office (where I worked).

Cons

Performance metrics are opaque. Large project successes are rewarded, small successes are hard to quantify under anything other than a large project banner. Had little direct contact with the Pasedena office. Events often transpired I had no understanding of or knowledge of in the Company, throught the Pasedena office.

I believe the company would be very different if the developers and support staff worked in closer proximity. I think the separation is beneficial.

High hopes, lack of execution

I worked at Central Desktop

Pros

Some really fun coworkers. Great location in Pasadena. One of the few SaaS companies in LA area. Product is decent.

Cons

Central desktop has very poor management. The product feels like it is always on the verge of something good, but never quite gets there. There isnt a lot of room for career growth and development

Your company will live and die with your employees. Stop treating them as replaceable! Hire A players and listen to their ideas and feedback.

Whoever said "Shiny on the outside, rotten on the inside" was right on

I have been working at Central Desktop full-time

Pros

Fridge full of food and work life balance. I find it funny that the only real pros talked about in the different reviews is food and work life balance/location. All of the positive reviews were posted to help negate all of the candid reviews of what it is like to work here - notice how all of the positive reviews are also anonymous? Apparently people are in fear of persecution for saying nice things too about Central Desktop. If you love food and taking credit for other people's work and ideas, this is the spot for you! Otherwise, do yourself a favor and steer clear. I will say that there are some smart, nice people that work here though.

Cons

No real direction or management. Certain departments are all about micromanagement and others is like the blind leading the blind. This company has more churn with employees then Country Crock's butter. The company also likes to have meetings about meetings to setup more meetings. People just care about job titles here vs. getting the job done and hearing themselves talk. I have never seen so many directors, VP's, and managers for such a small company (they have scaled down on these titles a bit, but that can be attributed to turnover) The one "VP" only works part time - more evidence that it is just about job titles here.

Figure out a way to better serve your customers and invest more into overall employee development. Also maybe quit taking vacations at the end of every quarter.

Definitely Mediocre

I worked at Central Desktop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Nice People in office

-Perks (Insurance Coverage + Costco Snacks)

Cons

-Poor leadership.

-Reactionary VS Innovative in Product and Internal Operations

-Lack of accountability. Bad decision are made in all organizations, but this one has a history of making the same poor choices and the same reluctancy for correction.

Not a bad company, but hard to describe as good or great. I took the title from other reviews, especially the one titled Highly Mediocre and generally agree with the other reviews (both good and bad ratings).

Not bad, not great, just highly mediocre.

Fun times.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Central Desktop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, fun product, snacks and fridge full of snacks, and a casual environment.

Cons

When things get busy, they can go in overdrive. Sometimes it seems like they are not enough hours in a day but it is good to know you are in the trenches with the rest of the team.

Continue to have more company all meetings. It's a good place for everybody to ask questions.

A great company that gave me a great opportunity. Love it there.

Current Employee - Tech Support in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Central Desktop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked there for almost 2 years and had a great experience. I didn't have a lot of experience for my job but the company gave me a chance to prove myself. I ended up leaving because my family moved to Northern California.

One of the few B2B SaaS companies in the LA area.
    They are growing and have a good product.

I liked the people I worked with - mostly a younger employee profile. Fun. Good camaraderie. Management wasn't always micromanaging us/me. Overall, everyone was very nice.

The company does events once a quarter (paintball, scavenger hunts, bowling events, etc.) and small groups of us would get together on a regular basis too .

The Management team cares and is always trying to improve communication with everyone. I could talk to the CEO anytime I wanted to.

Cons

There are two offices (one in Pasadena and another in Orange County) that made much of the engineering team distant.

I wish they gave us more sick days.

Need a bigger kitchen (although, they do keep it stocked with drinks, snacks and food)

Having two separate floors and two separate offices makes it tough to "be fully aligned" - consolidate everyone together. Keep up the over-communication. Work hard to differentiate yourselves with more aggressive marketing.

Highly mediocre

I worked at Central Desktop full-time

Pros

- Committed employees
    - Great Customer Support (manager + team)
    - Great location
    - Modern facility
    - Convenient parking

Cons

- Product as old as Cher. Regardless of how many UI facelifts it receives, it is outdated structurally and feature-wise.

- None of the C-level Executives have MBAs. The CEO misspells basic words, inspires doubt, and is very good at hiring bad leaders.

- Sr. Managers close to the C-level Executives easily get away with hiring/promoting their hardly qualified friends from previous gigs or close colleagues.

- The overall management is unable (or unwilling) to retain and reward its talent (esp. in Engineering and sales)

- The markting team is practically non-existent and socializes more than does actual work (and even that helps no one)

- In an attempt to defibrillate the dying sales team, the company decided to resort to spamming prospective clients and its servers are on the verge of being blacklisted.

- Worst of all, the management will never bear the cost of their mistakes. Never an apology or explanation why someone left or was fired. Ignorance and obtuse arrogance are ruining what could have been a great start-up.

Please leave or sell the company ASAP

Shiny on the outside, rotten on the inside

I worked at Central Desktop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent product (but in a crowded space, with nothing that clearly differentiates it from competition)

Excellent customer service and commitment to keeping customers happy

Mostly nice people (assuming the nice ones survived today's massive layoff)

Cons

Executive team that just wants to sell the company and cash out: unable to find additional angel investors, the company laid off approximately 1/3 of workforce December 2012.

Poor strategy and execution in every department (except customer service): the management team consists mostly of former top contributors who don't know how to lead and inspire the people who report to them.

Sales positions extremely unstable: presumably good sales reps, even ones who were heroes in previous quarters, are quietly and frequently given their walking papers. CEO sent profanity-laced excerpt from the movie Glengarry Glen Ross threatening any sales rep who didn't make quota with being fired as motivation during the last week of the quarter.

Weak marketing: marketing department primarily concerned with branding and image, not with delivering leads to sales or results to the company.

Engineering: no one can function without the direct involvement of CTO in every minor technical detail, from querying a database to pushing out a release. If he leaves the company, the company dies, end of story.

HR has a great sales pitch: during the interview process, you will hear lots of shiny evidence that the company is profitable, growing, exciting, a great place to be. Don't be fooled.

Either build a company that matters or sell out now