Central Garden & Pet Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
John Ranelli

Pros
  • There are some really great people at this company with many years of industry knowledge (in 6 reviews)

• Most of the employees are really great (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is completely focused on maximizing their personal compensation with no regard for the company or its future (in 4 reviews)

• Board of Directors is not a true functioning (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Worked four years

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Palm Bay, FL
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet

Pros

Great people. Very flexible. Able to create schedule around any issues you have. Etablished teams whom are very positive

Cons

Going in to on average 3 stores a day lifting fertilizer changer tiring but gives you a good workout. Having drama from Scott's

Advice to Management

Enjoy the flexibility and ability to make your employees happy. Happy employees equals productive employees which in turn nets in more profit

May 8, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition

We LOVE our merchandisers! Thanks for all of your hard work over the past four years.

Pays the bills

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you do your work you are pretty much left alone.

Cons

You are nothing more than a disposable number to them. No matter how hard you work or how well you do, you are easily replaceable.

Advice to Management

None, cause they don't care.

3. enjoyable at times and also stressful

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

Tons of opportunity for sales

Cons

I have a horrible back and its only getting worse lugging 2500 lb pallets around

May 8, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. If you have concerns relating to your job requirements, please talk to your supervisor or Human Resources. We want our employees to be safe!

5. After 3 months, still drinking through a fire hose here. There is a lot to learn in this great company.

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time

Pros

This is a very diverse company with a lot opportunities to learn different business models. The people here are passionate about their business and eager to do the right thing for it. I feel I am fairly compensated and the Atlanta office is in a great part of town. There are opportunities to make a difference and people who are willing to do that. The on-boarding process was pretty good for me. My manager took a few days to walk me through systems, priorities, duties, and office politics.

Cons

The only downside I see so far is that the company is over-reacting to a poor experience with a consultant by decentralizing and basically tearing apart everything they brought to the table. There also could be a bigger push to consolidate all businesses into same ERP.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to identify and implement synergies while keeping the passion in the individual business units.

May 8, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for providing feedback. We agree that Central is a great company!

6. IT operations.

Current Employee - Manager of IT in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Manager of IT in Carson, CA

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse Organization with many avenues for growth and challenges with regards to Enterprise operations.

Cons

Often too many IT projects going on at same time that can keep focus and deadlines from being achieved.

Advice to Management

Centralize financial systems from mergers without interrupting current business operations.

May 8, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition

Central definitely is a place with many avenues for growth!

7. Good people just going in the wrong direction

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Colleagues are great and help you at all costs. Lots of team centered discussion and people trying to make you better

Cons

Upper management makes poor decisions. Lost a lot of good brands to their competition and in an industry like this that's a killer

Advice to Management

Work more at serving your reps who give everything they have to serve their customers and you'll do much better

May 8, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback. We are always trying to improve and appreciate your honesty.

Lack of Leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Central Garden & Pet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic people. Improved office conditions.

Cons

No longer have a vision or strategy. The Chairman micromanages and does not communicate. The CEO is merely a puppet of the Chairman. No work-life balance. Reliance on contractors who have no stake in the business.

May 8, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback.

9. Strong company, fair, compeititive

Current Employee - Acct Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Acct Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent sales support, recognition for work done well, performance bonuses, provided tools & support to do work, Great benefits; strong middle management who care about what goes on in real makretplace. Compensation is good, car allowance ok

Cons

Upper management needs to respond to conflicting marketing moves between distributor & retail markets when issues occur as it affects everyones business. Sales teams need to work alot of weekends to maintain market penetration.

Advice to Management

Respond quickly, engage more with street warriors to get a real glimpse of market segments
    Overall good to great management!

May 8, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition

The sales team is the face of Central in front of our customers. The work you do is very much appreciated!

Central Garden and Pet

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet

Pros

Great place to work, people are awesome most associates I work with have been with the company for 15+ years.
    Truly people focused.

Cons

Some transitional issues going from many separate companies to one and now leadership is splitting the business again. Many are confused, not good direction from the top down. Seems to be an identity crisis.

Advice to Management

Company should remain as one and work towards the CPG model, going back to individual business units is a mistake.
    Execution in any model is key, this is a slippery slope, but one worth continuing. Collaboration is almost entirely gone amongst business groups. Barriers and walls are forming as everyone is concerned for only their budgets.

May 8, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition

Congratulations on being with Central for over 15 years! Yes, we have gone through some changes over the past few years but our results show that we are headed in the right direction. Thank you for ... More

11. They pay you what your worth. Work hard and your compensated.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Boise, ID

I have been working at Central Garden & Pet

Pros

They have good benefits,Med,Dental, Optical. Linda who manages Boise is an Excellent manager and person in General. She is fair and genuine in the way she cares for her employees. She has an open door policy along with her managers. If you work hard and have the companies best interest at heart your paid well. Advancement and raises are fair. The atmosphere is nice,calm and your not Mico managed to death. I love coming to work everyday.

Cons

They could use more in classes to help motivate employees, maybe motivational speakers, classes to teach others how to get along and communicate better. They could have a little better PTO system. Maybe combine their sick pay into PTO and have more vacation time open.

Advice to Management

Management there is great, they work hard at motivating teams, training and helping employees to move up.

May 8, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the positive feedback!

RSS Feed </> Embed