Central Market Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
CEO

Pros
  • I make more here than I would at similar jobs and the work environment is pretty good (in 3 reviews)

• managers reward good work and customer service (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • micromanagement and unreal expectations from middle upper management (in 5 reviews)

• I was given full time hours, but was in the system as a part time employee so they didn't have to give too many of us benefits (in 2 reviews)

1. Cool place

Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Houston, TX

I worked at Central Market

Pros

Very cool place to work. They want encourage you to try everything which is awesome!

Cons

During he holidays, you will be beyond tired.

Going Down Hill

Former Employee - Clerk in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Clerk in Dallas, TX

I worked at Central Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall a good company with good benefits and 401k. The partners for the most part were good to work with. Some company perks also. But that's were it ends.

Cons

Department managers and upper managers are only interested keeping jobs. Employees are treated as worker bees and nothing more. You can be written up for just about anything, and if they want to give you a hard time to get rid of you, they will. It's all behind the scenes, and mgt doesn't have a clue. Turn over is really high, a lot good people left because of this. Don't expect to be promoted, or any advancement, because unless your connected with mgt, it's not going to happen. You will have to work all kinds of shifts with very little notice, and no matter how hard you work and go out of your way to make things better it doesn't matter. There really big on hiring Hispanic workers with no experience, to fill positions. This is suppose to be a upscale grocery store, but it's getting worse every year. It seems to run on auto pilot, with no body at the wheel.

Advice to Management

You better wake up ! You keep doing things the same old way, pay attention to what is actually going on at the ground level. You had great employees, you should listen to them sometime, but your never there. You say people matter, it doesn't appear to so. P.S. You should hire managers with people skills, and know how to manage, instead of just playing the game.

3. In Store Artist

Former Employee - Store Artist
    Former Employee - Store Artist

I worked at Central Market part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun co-workers, fast-paced work environment.

Cons

Cramped workspace. High stress. No upward mobility career-wise.

Advice to Management

It would be wise to offer competitive pay to in-store artists. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods both offer more pay for the same job.

5. Cashier

I have been working at Central Market full-time

Pros

You get a 10% discount on HEB items, insurance is BCBS 80 - 20 , Reviews are every 6 months to a year

Cons

Management is horrible!!!!! The store moto is not what it seems to be planned out

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, have a benefit of dout when dealing with a situation instead of just jumping to conclusiones

6. Fantastic Place To Work

I have been working at Central Market

Pros

Great People
    Room to Move Up

Cons

No Cons, it's a great place

Do not believe the recent positive reviews

Current Employee - Sales Representative Front of House in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative Front of House in Houston, TX

I have been working at Central Market full-time

Pros

Get to work with food loosing bussiness because HEB on San Felipe Houston tx

Cons

Because they have many bad reviews the head of hiring is put on glassdoor or any other web site to write positive things. For example I was asked to write a positive review but I'll rather help others then lie

Advice to Management

Care for employees stop making it about money

8. Central Market the journey of food!

I have been working at Central Market

Pros

Benefits,the why they treat their partners, and the environment of HEB brand and how they really appetite everyone who works and who has worked for them.

Cons

At the moment not so far

Advice to Management

Help the new hires a little more with partner net

9. The company truly has that "family owned" feel

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Central Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people. Most of your coworkers actually enjoy coming to work. You work around some unique foods and are encouraged to sample them. Partner discount off their own brands after 90 days. Clean place.

Cons

Schedules are not shared until Friday for the following week, making it a little difficult to make plans in advance. Employees with degrees and experience are not given credit for their past experience, ie: if you want to advance you will have to take the same steps as the 18 yr old who just graduated high school.

Advice to Management

Take advantage of the fact that you are fortunate enough to be gaining new employees who already have many years of experience AND an education. Their should be steps they can take advance into mgmt or lead positions without having to take all the steps as a young less experienced person would have to take. You are going to lose some valuable talent if not.

10. Sales representative seafood dept.

I worked at Central Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are for the most part nice people to work with. Plenty of work so you are busy and the time passes quickly.

Cons

Pay not commensurate with work. Unprofessional management. Most customers are nice but there are some exceptionally rude and entitled D-bags that can and will ruin your day if you let them get to you.

Advice to Management

The customer (or guest, if you will) is NOT always right.

11. Good place to work. Unless you have a bad manager.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Central Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, I love the people I work with, decent pay for the job.

Cons

Bad management, no sympathy for employees personal problems. Sometimes life happens. Never had gotten promoted up like I had asked about numerous times.

Advice to Management

Take a little more pride in your employees and respect them, and they might respect you more. In return, you can create a safe environment for your employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed