Central Market

Updated February 23, 2015
Updated February 23, 2015
3.2

CEO

Pros
  • 45 credit towards cooking classes each month (in 4 reviews)

• Customer service is exemplified from all fellow employees and this creates a good interpersonal atmosphere in the work environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • micromanagement and unreal expectations from middle upper management (in 5 reviews)

• These managers are also really bad at playing favorites and obviously doing things illegal and legal to get rid of partners they just don't like (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

A great learning experience with a largely forgiving company.

Current Employee - Deli/Cheese Sales Representative in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Deli/Cheese Sales Representative in Plano, TX

I have been working at Central Market full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My knowledge of food and retail financials has grown significantly from my time at Central Market. The company has a great open door policy and advancing is truly within reach to those who put forth the energy. The pay scale isn't bad either, raises start out small but with time can be rewarding (not to mention decent insurance, vacation, and 401k for dedicated full-time employees).

Cons

There are often unreal expectations placed on the employees and blame is not always placed where it should be.

Take more time to work along side your employees.

Incredibly Flexible

Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Central Market part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's like working with family, everyone is friendly! There's so much food, and there's always plenty to sample and taste. You have managers that actually care about you and will work with your schedule, school is important to them if it's important to you. You always have the opportunity of working in other departments, especially when you aren't getting enough hours.

Cons

If you are working in as a cashier in service chances are you may never have a set schedule.
    Do not request major holidays off. If you work in service as a part timer you might not always get your 40 hours, oh and no chances for overtime...

Not even a Merry Christmas uttered and downhill from there.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Central Market

Pros

Friendly co workers. Knowledgeable customers. Innovative food concepts.

Cons

Employee's are invisible to management. Pay increases are promised but never delivered. Low starting wage. No benefits despite working 40 hour weeks being classified as part time. Short staffed constantly.

Say thank you to the employee's doing the actual work. At least say hi. Condescending attitude coupled with constant demands without a please or thank you make employee's feel invisible.

Overworked and Underpayed

I worked at Central Market

Pros

employees were friendly and there were good bonds. most coworkers were dedicated and hardworking.

Cons

management is a joke. you have to be part of the "inner circle" to move up

remember the little people who work over 40 a week while you sit at your desk or stand around to gossip

Not Great

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Central Market part-time

Pros

Paid weekly via direct deposit.

Cons

General business culture just doesn't value its hourly employees. Dangerous conditions, employees treated as disposable, employees have no voice - just overall a crummy place to work.

Listen to what employees say about efficiency and improvements. Value your employees and your facility.

A retail job where the owners have your best interest at heart

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Central Market part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Open door policy between management and partners
    Very lenient scheduling/time off when requested (with appropriate notice: 2wks)
    Embrace each personality and creativity when interviewing - asks you to "create" a resume with arts and crafts placed in front of you

Cons

Schedules typically include holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, 4th of July, etc. I think the only days the stores are closed throughout the 365 day calendar year are Christmas day and Easter.

More information sessions about the stores new products. There are CONSTANTLY new items/dishes being discovered on a weekly/monthly/seasonal basis. Educating all partners on different trends/perks/recipes/etc. can go a long way and will reflect better with the customers.

Sales Lead

Current Employee - Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at Central Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good 401k match and healthcare plan. Leadership at store level is strong. Opportunities for growth for employees who are interested.

Cons

No set schedule. Schedule posts on Friday for the following week, so not much notice. Generally low wages to start on the retail end, raises are based on a percentage so getting to a good pay level can take some time.

I have been working at Central Market

Pros

The employees... Great relationships. I still talk to a lot of them.

Cons

Customers can be rude, but not always.
    Somewhat disorganized.
    Too many tasks for one manager to accomplish in a shift
    Incompetent workers or disabled workers working in a very physically demanding job.

Not the best place to work..

I worked at Central Market full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Even though I never used they head excellent insurance. I loved working with all my co-workers, and I knew just about everyone, it was quite a cohesive environment.

Cons

Management was awful, they didn't care about anything, but money. They played favorites a lot. Treated most employees like expendable assets. Raises are terrible! They straight up lied to me about getting a raise when I transfered departments. Work can extremely laborious at times due to the amount of customers. Many rude customers as well.

Give better promotions. Be more friendly towards your employees, and actually remember their names....

Very difficult to advance if you are not friends with management

Current Employee - Baker in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Baker in Austin, TX

I have been working at Central Market full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits, decent pay, most coworkers

Cons

Drama, egos, bullying, favoritism, no breaks

Please step in and stop people from the bullying. The way some of the leads and coworkers treat people is an HR issue waiting to happen

Central Market Photos