Central Market Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
CEO

Pros
  • I make more here than I would at similar jobs and the work environment is pretty good (in 3 reviews)

• managers reward good work and customer service (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • micromanagement and unreal expectations from middle upper management (in 5 reviews)

• I was given full time hours, but was in the system as a part time employee so they didn't have to give too many of us benefits (in 2 reviews)

1. Friendly Place to work

I have been working at Central Market part-time

Pros

Flexible Hours, Fair pay. Fun place to work if you are really into food! :)

Cons

Hard to get on full time, but there are lots of opportunities for full time. This is a retail industry trend.

Advice to Management

Develop good talent, reward with better pay raises and training opportunities.

2. slinging slop

Current Employee - Partner
    Current Employee - Partner

I have been working at Central Market (Less than a year)

Pros

people genuinely seem to enjoy working here. Benefits are good and starting rate was reasonable. Potential to move up in company is exciting.

Cons

Position is tedious. Shifts can drag if business is slow. Shift leads don't necessarily have has much of it together as they should. Nights shifts are absolutely awful and impossible to get out of. The job demands you center your life around it and shifting schedules make it very difficult to plan activities outside of work.

3. Cafe and Coffee Bar

Current Employee - FOH Manager
    Current Employee - FOH Manager

I have been working at Central Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Secure and amazing company to work for. They give health insurance, benefits and annual raises. Great flexibility with hours, especially if you are a college student.

Cons

The customers can be very demanding, but some are most enjoyable. Expect to work holidays and late hours.

5. Awesome

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Central Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Culture, Pay, customers, fun, freedom to take care of anything

Cons

Dealing with partners and their issues with such a pro partner environment, partners really don't understand how easy they have it here.

6. Great benefits, but not much room for growth

Current Employee - Catering Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Catering Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Central Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are definitely good benefits here, the health/dental/vision package is much better then many of the other benefit packages I've seen from friends and family. The place has an all around well tempered atmosphere, and it does not take you long to get along with your coworkers. It's not like Whole Foods, where you are given a 3 month probationary period for review. If you are hired here, you're here as long as you want.

Cons

The pay is pretty minimal, average for most positions is around $10-11/hr. There is not much room for real growth, unless you consider moving to a different location after completing CMU (Central Market University). Since many of the employees are here long-term, it's rare that a management position opens up. If one does open up, upper management usually already has someone in mind from another Central Market.

Advice to Management

Make sure not to devalue your hourly employees, they are a representative of your skills as a successful manager. I am lucky to have one of the best managers who I also consider a friend, but I can't speak the same for many of my coworkers.

7. Kinda okay

I have been working at Central Market full-time

Pros

This place has amazing food and lots of friendly people. New people come in every day that make it different every time.

Cons

The management isn't the best, they seem to care less about how you feel and more about what will affect them.

Advice to Management

Please actually care about people and their feelings before you give them advice on how not to lose their jobs.

8. Opportunities, Opportunities.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Central Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Flexible scheduling, especially for those in school -Discount on all store brand products, free items every month -Well rounded benefit program (if offered full time and/or once the allotted part time hours are reached) -Great 401K plan -Somewhat competitive pay for grocery retail

Cons

-Management training is very inconsistent -High turnover -Not particularly taken to promoting from within -Customers are held on such a high pedestal it's hard to tell if the Partners' well being is even a matter of concern.

Advice to Management

Take better care of Partners (as is the HEB way) and much more can be achieved. Instead of always remarking how great HEB transfers are Central Market should take pointers from the HEB Food/Drug Division on how to shape great Partners. It's been 20 years and it seems as if the past 5 have been absolutely chaotic in Central Market. The excitement for food doesn't seem to exist anymore and without that what is Central Market?

9. Cool place

Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Houston, TX

Pros

Very cool place to work. They want encourage you to try everything which is awesome!

Cons

During he holidays, you will be beyond tired.

10. Not what I Though!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Central Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Salary and benefits for all.

Cons

Inconsistency due to fast pace.

Advice to Management

Actions are more needed than words!

11. Grocery department

Current Employee - Grocery in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Grocery in Austin, TX

I have been working at Central Market (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, Discounts on HEB products, Great people to work with, Can move up or move around store department for grown in the company if desire, High educated people that works at Central Market also.

Cons

Lazy people get the top jobs,the management is cliquey, and the pay can be better for the people who have been there for a longtime, besides that it's a good company.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the lazy people, all they do is sit in upper managements face all day and lie!!

RSS Feed </> Embed