Central New Mexico Community College

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014
3.4

CEO

Great place to work but it's easy to cap out your salary.

Current Employee - Student Services Representative in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Student Services Representative in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Central New Mexico Community College full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, encourages more education by providing free tuition, great staff to work with.

Cons

Pay is sub par for a bachelor's degree. Difficult to get hired.

Great job. Please offer more competitive wages.

Great college to work at

Current Employee - Adjunct SAGE Instructor in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Adjunct SAGE Instructor in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Central New Mexico Community College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Leadership is outstanding. Positive needed changes occuring. Great benefits for CNM employees.

Cons

None at this time. Continue to be focused on positive customer relations.

Learning Environment

Current Employee - Library Assistant in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Library Assistant in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Central New Mexico Community College part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is a Beautiful place to work and learn. The management team is absolutely helpful and very courteous to work beside.

Cons

none at all very pleasant.

Be joyful daily you are in a place of learning and excitement.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Instructor, School of CHSS in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Instructor, School of CHSS in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Central New Mexico Community College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good work environment with support from most administrators. Focus on quality teaching.

Cons

Benefits are limited (high out-of-pocket cost for employee); salaries are fixed and not performance based.

left bad taste in my mouth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Central New Mexico Community College full-time (more than a year)

Pros

We received fairly substantial raises. Although I think this had less to do with our worth as employees and more that the senior administration was shamed into giving us a boost in pay.

I made lifelong friends there.

Good work/life balance.

They paid for some of my credits at UNM.

Cons

Senior leadership seems more concerned with projecting a certain image of CNM rather than actually doing anything substantial. Hence you have situations where students are being granted degrees without their consent or knowledge, ostensibly to boost CNM's matriculation rate. It's a very cynical move.

Pay is not in line with the market, i.e. the pay is low. This is not unusual for New Mexico, but obviously something to consider. However, if you somehow make it into the senior administration, you will be paid handsomely. Salary-wise, it's a very top-heavy organization.

It's nearly impossible to move up in your position. Unless you know someone. It's the New Mexico way!

I was let go with no warning despite a spotless performance record. To make it worse, I was lied to as to why I was being let go. Someone had a personal problem with me, and rather than address it, they decided to give me the ax. In my opinion, it was very unprofessional.

You wouldn't listen anyway, so why bother?

ehhhh

Current Employee - Instructional Technician in Los Rnchs Abq, NM
    Current Employee - Instructional Technician in Los Rnchs Abq, NM

I have been working at Central New Mexico Community College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

ehhh what pros poor pay, stupid lack of hours given

Cons

nothing good about this place.

Pay more

Everyone gets paid about the same.

Current Employee - Audiovisual Tech in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Audiovisual Tech in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Stupid Easy, lots of downtime, great support for students and community.

Cons

Make a dollar more and hour than when I started. I made more working other jobs without a degree. Work in security and make the same pay! Nowhere to advance to.

CNM is the best place to work!

Current Employee - Vice President in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Vice President in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Employees work together to achieve college goals. Everyone there truly cares about students and their success. Creativity, new ideas, and innovation are encouraged and rewarded. Employees are encouraged to seek out ways to improve processes so CNM is " best in class." There is a strong culture of trust and integrity.

Cons

As a public institution, government regulation can be slow to keep up with the college's innovative pace.

Keep your strong focus on CNM's strategic priorities!

Vulture Culture - stay away if you can

Current Employee - Human Resources Department in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Human Resources Department in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Central New Mexico Community College full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and free education.

Cons

Management is arrogant, passive aggressive, mean, and moody - from the President's Office down the pike. These people are all going to school because of the free education, so they are only interested in a promotion, knocking others out of the way and stepping all over each other to climb the ladder. It's a shame.

Read and follow the college missions, statements, and strategic directions. All talk just to recruit students and get federal funding. In the end, you really only care about yourselves! Ebbs and flows will happen and you will continue to put out the fires without giving any serious consideration to making real valuable changes.

Adjunct hell; PT instructors, good luck

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Central New Mexico Community College part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great colleagues and students; progressive ideas; some real quirks in hiring part-timers as fulltimers

Cons

Although pay is listed at $22/hr, adjunct instructors are only paid for the hours they spend in class and one office hour per class per week. Grading and preparing class is not paid.

Hire more of your part-timers as fulltime; fix your payroll and HR issues!