Central Refrigerated Service

Add Photos

Jon F. Isaacson

leasing agent

Leasing Agent (Current Employee) West Valley City, UT

Prosgetting to work with people one on one.

Consthere is really nothing to dislike about the company, it is going thru some major changes and the culture of the business is being changed and not for the better.

dedicated conagra frozen fleet driver

Truck Driver (Current Employee) Pasco, WA

Prosgreat people to work with seems they want their drivers to be successful.

Consthey push Lease Op a lot this is new account but they want to run it like OTR when it is local operation.

Advice to Senior Managementlet your local managers run the office with out your input on non capital projects like having a reefer tech on staff, ordering parts without your approval allowing shop managers to make local connections with out going through your parts service in salt lake. let them get charge accounts with local vendors to make equipment repairs go smoothly and turn around a lot faster. stop calling lease operators owner ops unless you plan to give the lessor a title after completion of lease.

Lacking management and training

OTR Driver (Former Employee) Fontana, CA

ProsThe people at central seem nice.

ConsTraining is bare minimum , their idea of benefits are making you pay a higher rate than you could get them for without working there. Their 401k is through an independent contractor and has all to do with you and not them. When you need to get a hold of someone and have to leave a message don't expect any call back. To get any answers, expect to be on the phone for hours and to talk to many people. NEAR NO WEEKEND OR EVENING SUPPORT. Company currently in a class action from owner operators that they jacked over.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was fired and have been told I have to pay back for the lack of training I received, while those who were let go right after training never had to pay a dime. Why are employees that work for central personalized for making the cut? Every time I had an issue it took hours to try to get resoled with the company. Management is lacking and the people are too under trained to be effective and operate smooth. I had only talked to 1 of 80+ drivers in 6 months that thought the company was ran half decent. the rest all believed there was massive management failure.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

they have a scam set up for their lease program. stay away!!

OTR Driver (Former Employee) West Valley City, UT

ProsHUMMM...pros!? Well, you get to drive new truck, too bad they take AL the money you make

ConsI could go forever into detail of the scam set up. But lets say STAY AWAY from the lease program. They pick and choose who THEY want to succeed. if they don't pick you, they take every cent you make, throwing you a little once a month to keep you going. Yey they will tell you your doing it wrong.

bad company

Owner Op (Current Employee) Fontana, CA

Prossometimes they will get u home when u ask for it

Consfake owner op department. low pay 1.06 for owner op .28 for company they will charge for over idling for company drivers u arent really an owner op just a glorified company driver who can go 65 mph and

Advice to Senior Managementget better staff pay more

Nothing special, but cheap training

Truck Driver (Former Employee) South Seattle, WA

ProsCheap training and has some good trainers. Only recommend newbies get training here and leave once they have a sure job somewhere else.

ConsLow pay, dishonest recruiters, only care about the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrivers make you money so maybe you should keep them a little happier.

Probably the best place to start.

Driver/Driver Trainer (Former Employee) West Valley City, UT

ProsI worked for Central for almost four years as a driver. I was one of the lucky ones who was lined up with a good fleet manager for most of the time that I was there. The second FM I had was also good at getting me miles, but wasn't a fun person to work with in terms of their personal disposition.

I spent my first year as a company driver, and the rest of the time as a lease operator. A lot of drivers were suspicious of the lease/op program, but it works out for the better if you are committed to be a real over-the-road driver - which means, not a lot of home time. That's just the nature of the game. Think of it like being in the military, except being able to come home more often. I would have done this sooner, but the leasing folks advised me to work on getting more miles as a company driver before leasing a truck on my own. I appreciated their looking out for me like that. I never sensed that the corporate staff that they were trying to take advantage of drivers in any way.

I felt like I had good support most of the time. I never had any trouble averaging 2500 miles a week. Really. I have the settlements to prove it. But that was only when I was flexible about my home time. That is the quantum leap a driver has to make. Accepting that turns OTR jobs like Central into gold. I also trained a few drivers and the money from that is great. I quit mainly because I wanted a straight 9-6 job and to be home every night. I left Central on good terms, and I enjoyed my time there. I loved seeing the country. That's one of the upsides of OTR - regional jobs are boring as hell, even if they do pay more steadily and home-time is more frequent.

I have to hand it to the office staff for their patience most of the time. There were some bad eggs at corporate who didn't last long, who were just as negative as a lot of the drivers who worked for the company. But most office workers were very good to work with. Maybe this is because I tried to treat them with courtesy and patience at all times.

Let me tell you about the majority drivers - and I got to know these people pretty well - criminal histories are not uncommon. These are people whose lives, for the most part, are not in order. They would have to make more money than an OTR driving job pays to live comfortably. They have child support to pay. Their wages are being garnished. They have no clue how to budget. They are a naturally disgruntled lot, as would anybody who isn't making enough money to make it is going to be. There are always going to be a high percentage of people who come to work for a rookie OTR company like Central who will be disgruntled no matter what. And, like almost ALL truckers, they exaggerate. A LOT. So take most of the negative reviews with a grain of salt.

Some people had bad fleet managers, and that's too bad. They just needed to shop around more and they would have found someone good. And when you bend over for them, they will bend over for you. Amazing how many of my students didn't get that, and would leave early on in their careers being severely and unfairly disgruntled.

ConsThe only criticism I could level at the company itself was it's somewhat rigid bureaucracy, and more especially, the people working night dispatch. Most of the time is was very difficult to get cooperation from them, even in critical situations.

Like I implied, every company will have a few bad eggs. You just have to look at the big picture and forget about. "Git' er done," in essence. Sometimes you get stuck for a few days. It happens. I was stuck in Chicago for 5 days as load after load fell through. But that only happened once. Usually, they would get with a freight broker to get me moving after a day. Sometimes I missed time off deadlines. Not because they didn't try their best to get me home, but just because s--- happened. It's life. I don't understand people who expect a job to cater to their every whim and not give their all in return. Central was good, overall, to me because I tried to be good to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more transparency with drivers about the company's strategies and finances. It's amazing how much that kind of openness engenders loyalty from all levels of the company. A little more leniency with ticky tacky accidents. I came a little too close to losing my job because of rules about "X number of accidents in X amount of time." These were things like little cracks on the bumper - of MY truck - and so forth - stuff that costs less than $500 to fix. I was told over and over how much of a great driver I was, and yet they were not lenient about what constituted an accident. Safety being paramount is understandable, but there is a huge difference in negligence between a small crack on the bumper that happens at slow speed in a snowy parking lot vs a rollover on the highway.

Not as bad,as people made it out to be.....

OTR Driver (Current Employee) Conley, GA

ProsNewer trucks,Electronic logs(Spite me) I'd rather have something DOT can't have me by the balls for!Good loads,Speaking with planner helps as well for getting good mileage.Communication as well is a good thing to have.If your fleet manager knows when you will be ready for next load they can contact planner to get you something.Not always but most of time,In past 4months I have yet to sit a whole day like with old fleet manager.I average 2900-3200 miles a week (Company driver) Not interested in leasing I like going home and not having to deal truck payments.They gave me a 2k13 Cascadia even with all the trouble I have had with it....Still takes me from One side of country to another.And If I break down they will have it fixed and put you in a hotel in the process...Better than sleeping under a bridge lol.I must say I heard alot of bad and some good but I have been driving for 7months after first three I was ready to leave.But new DM got that thought out still looking for more home time.Will probly try to get on dedicated, but I enjoy open road just waiting for summer. So it can warm up some.

ConsNight and weekend dispatch!!!Hard communicating with them.Some people enjoy their job and some are just there for a paycheck.But I do think little number of night and weekend dispatch has a big thing to do with it as well.Takes them a long time to get responses sometimes.And sometimes you get responses asap just depends.If you have a sucky fleet manager then you won't get miles.Trips won't go right just all kinds of problems.I had my old fleet manager who got fired.I would barely run 2000 miles a week maybe 2200... SLOW trucks!!!Not really slow but out west if speed limit is 75 running 62 gets kinda scary at night.Guys flying by but you get used to it.Just let them know they are clear and keep on trucking.In the mountains you will appreciate slow trucks...Kinda except trying to climb a hill.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet drivers home more even if its for 10hr breaks and you will keep more drivers!Get communication in office flowing better with night dispatch.East coast guys stay out west and Vise versa for some reason????IDK Govern trucks for company at 64mph and lease 69mph.Hardest time ever trying to pass trucks.You can only follow a truck so long before them constantly slowing down.For whatever reason just becomes unsafe to you and the drivers around you.Constant flashing of your brake lights can cause accidents.Trying to pass a truck with a driver that is sleepy and him swerving at you while it takes 5mins to pass him.Lets just say hairs on my Arms stand up everytime....I know you shouldnt pass but GOOD DRIVERS DON'T DRIVE INTO ACCIDENTS!

L/O is a setup to fail

Lease Operator (Former Employee) Reno, NV

ProsDecent Traning program. Kind of decent equipment

ConsLease / operator program sucks Will lie on your DAC care less about their drivers

Advice to Senior ManagementSettle on the Law suit get a clue and fix your crooked ways

Getting better every day

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) West Valley City, UT

ProsA lot has changed in the past year(2012) and it has been for the better. People in the office are being held more accountable for their actions and it's easier to gain recognition for a job well-done. I also love my coworkers - very laid back and they do their jobs well.

ConsDrivers are still very hostile toward office workers. We are doing what we can to make them money and keep them moving but some are hell-bent on being in a sour mood and they don't care who gets caught in the cross-fire. It's hard to keep a happy attitude when you have someone spitting fire in your face for someone else's mess-up, ESPECIALLY when you're the one trying to fix it for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of 'Driver Retention' being our number one priority, I would like it amended to 'Employee Retention'. Distinguishing driver from office worker is only driving a wedge between two groups that generally dislike each other.

Worked for Central Refrigerated Service? Contribute to the Community!