Central Refrigerated Service

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014
2.3

Jon F. Isaacson

This company was great to work for. They really took care of their employees.

Current Employee - Billing Specialist  in  West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Billing Specialist in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, friendly staff, upper to let management were excellent!

Cons

They sold out to another company and a lot of the staff were let go.

To Swift management, Central had the right ideas to keep longevity of the staff, you should follow their example.

So-So!!!!!!!!!!!

Current Employee - OTR Driver  in  West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service full-time for less than a year

Pros

im getting my cdl.the instructors are great so far.

Cons

ive been lied too,food stolen by other students,instead of pay by the week its by the hour.the right hand dosent know what the left is doing.

go thru your own school and become a driver and find out!!!!!!!!

Owner/Operator driver Trainer

Current Employee - OTR Driver  in  Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Fontana, CA

Pros

Its a good company to get experience, but not known for paying their drivers that well.

Cons

Swift being the parent company

Learn how to treat their employees. They try to nickel and dime their drivers to death.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Swift and central

Current Employee - OTR Driver  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The equipment is decent. There is no other pros I can think about this company. It's bad when the cons out weigh the pros.

Cons

I just recently went owner op. Worst mistake ever at least with this company . The screw you on pay, they are extremely rude and disrespectful. ... central was a decent company before the change over .

Learn to evaluate employees before you hire them , respect your drivers because all in all we are the ones who make your money.

In my opinion. .they are great scam artist's and it's starting to catch up..read the lawsuit

I worked at Central Refrigerated Service

Pros

They do have nice equipment. But nice equipment don't PAY YOUR BILLS. They care more about buying new trucks and trailers then there employees.

Cons

I will get right to the point. In my opinion You will not be happy there. The companies morale is at a all time low. Good drivers are leaving because there not making enough to buy a loaf of bread at the end of the week..no joke. Good drivers are being terminated for no reason. Its a total shame to see a company with so much potential do there drivers this way. If I would have been told the truth before I started there school I would have chosen another company to work for. If you really want a career in the truck driving industry please look around and talk to truck drivers... THERE ARE OTHERS BESIDES SWIFT AND CENTRAL. AND YES THEY ARE FREE ALSO. If you don't believe me read ALL the reviews for yourself because at the end of the day you can only blame yourself for the decisions you make. When I started for central i started at 28 cents a mile..I took home 200 to 300 a week. Soon after, I leased a truck because i was told by the owner operator department that the money was way better. wrong...now you get negative paychecks because of not enough miles to make money for yourself..the company takes all there money first and if there's anything left over its yours. You have to drive 1600 miles a week to break even. If thats all the miles you get..you dont get paid. Those miles just covered your lease. You tell your wife after working all week you have no money for food or rent.My wife and I almost lost everything we have because of this. It doesn't pay to complain about your miles because in my opinion they don't care about there drivers. I will tell you that I have had more negative checks than positive. Now that's sad because without drivers they wouldn't have a company. Oh ya. I almost forgot to tell you. You will be constantly followed by what I call swift a snitch and recorded while you drive. Look out for them because they are the dangerous drivers out there.

It starts at the top and rolls down hill..

Central Opportunity???

Current Employee - Truck Driver  in  West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

None, I could not give a good consideration to the company. The training was adequate but it did not give understanding of what was to come from the office staff.

Cons

basically for the first few months you do well, then you completely fall off the grid as an individual and can not get home for appointments because are no where near that location even with the 2+ week notice they require...

My answer to COO Richard Stocking; Yes, we are too big.

Current Employee - Operations Office Staff  in  West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Operations Office Staff in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work is close to home, immediate-office staff is awesome.

Cons

This list is going to be long-

-Swift has taken away many of our capabilities to do our jobs efficiently. As a result, drivers are more angry than ever. We no longer have the capability to accurately predict how much freight we need for the amount of trucks coming into the areas. We no longer have the capability to quickly and accurately find trailers for the drivers.

-Perhaps the most frustrating is Swift's gigantic bureaucracy that has a nasty habit of 'passing the buck' to another vague department that no one knows the true purpose of.

-Swift has proven time and again that they do not understand specialty freight, and no one is listening when we express our concerns. For example, when we first merged over we requested a macro to be created for yard checks so we could monitor fuel and temperature levels. Swift promptly denied us saying that the requested macro was 'not necessary for the business'. In the past few months we've paid several hundred thousand in OS&D claims due to trailers running out of fuel and spoiling freight. Still, no one listens.

-From a planning standpoint, Swift's grading system makes no sense. The planner scorecards do not care about deadhead mileage. They only score on how often planners use the computer's recommendations to match trucks with loads. This is a system that can be manipulated to show flawless performance. The recommendation system only gives a mere 500 miles per day to most teams, requiring the planners to manually plan on an ANCIENT system to get drivers the miles to pay their bills.

-We've had several office staff hospitalized from the stress since we were merged. And I do mean several.

-Swift and their COO Richard Stocking require us to attend something called 'Swift University'. This has got to be the biggest waste of company money I have EVER seen. I was required to attend online classes for what was called a 'leadership training'. One of the courses was, literally, a documentary about the Secretariat-the race horse. With nothing at the end to translate it to how it helped me become a leader. The next video was a montage of inspirational speeches from sports movies. Swift has several thousand office staff that were required to take this course. Assuming everyone makes $10-$18 an hour, and that everyone spent the three hours taking this course, Swift spent an estimated $90,000-$162,000 to show it's office workers a documentary about a racehorse.

-AS400 is ancient. SO ancient. It was written in 1988. The mouse was invented in 1992. The outdated computer system requires exponentially more keystrokes than any other system in the industry. Several office staff have reported severe pain related to carpal tunnel syndrome.

-Drivers aren't making money. They are being VERY nasty to the office staff. There's only so much we can do when our hands have been zip-tied behind our backs and we're forced to bob for apples to get our basic duties done. We're doing three times the footwork and only capable of accomplishing 25-50% of what we were doing before. We've had to hire more office staff to keep up with the demand, and we're still struggling to push our numbers up to what they were before the merger.

-Benefits are some of the worst I've ever seen. Insurance refuses to pay a dime till the deductible has been hit. There are much better insurance plans out there people. Don't be disillusioned thinking that Swift has a good insurance plan. It's only useful if you have a catastrophic accident. In the mean time you'll have to pay a fortune to maintain your good health.

Upgrade your computer program and layoff half of your office staff. It's as simple as that. Let people with real skill make your company and drivers money. Trim the fat.

Gone to Crap

Current Employee - Driver/Driver Trainer  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Driver/Driver Trainer in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Well. None really. SO many other companies to work for. You have to trust us on this. The recruiters will be dishonest.

Cons

Since Swift took over you receive threatning messages on Quacomm like if you speed you will be terminated or having an unauthorized passenger you will be terminated. Miles has dropped off.

Better stop worrying about hiring and concentrate on keeping the ones already working. Ive never seen so many empty tractors sitting in yards. Trainees with trainers not getting miles and quiting before upgrade because they can already see future.

Sorry I took the job

Former Employee - Driver  in  Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Driver in Fontana, CA

I worked at Central Refrigerated Service full-time for less than a year

Pros

None I can think of

Cons

Lying Cheating back stabbing jerks

Don't lie and keep your promises

Don't lease a truck.

Current Employee - OTR Driver
    Current Employee - OTR Driver

Pros

Money if you never go home and have good dispatch.

Cons

Never go home on time. Negative paychecks due to leasing and poor dispatch organization. Can never get a hold of my driver manager. Ever. I have to call someone else to have him talk to me. If I'm lucky. I have dealt with 3 other people just this past week trying to get bogus loads fixed into loads that exist. And since Swift has taken over their methods make NO sense to me. O/Os no longer have priority over company drivers in the shop. I have a truck payment..
    Also even before Swift takeover I never could get home on time. Missed a family reunion and I had to take off later and drive my own car 500 miles to get to family. I always add a few days before I actually need home time due to this. Even if I bug them about it too for several days.
    I've had worse jobs that paid less and was content.. its sad that this job reduces me to a whiner to get paid due to all the B.S. I am currently under the second bogus load in two days.

Stick to what works. Fire the people that don't answer phones, never fix your issues or never communicates both ways. Change is bad for dispatch and the Qualcomm. Swift needs a swift kick on the head.

Worked for Central Refrigerated Service? Contribute to the Community!