Central Refrigerated Service

Jon F. Isaacson

Gone to Crap

Current Employee - Driver/Driver Trainer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Driver/Driver Trainer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well. None really. SO many other companies to work for. You have to trust us on this. The recruiters will be dishonest.

Cons

Since Swift took over you receive threatning messages on Quacomm like if you speed you will be terminated or having an unauthorized passenger you will be terminated. Miles has dropped off.

Better stop worrying about hiring and concentrate on keeping the ones already working. Ive never seen so many empty tractors sitting in yards. Trainees with trainers not getting miles and quiting before upgrade because they can already see future.

Don't lease a truck.

Current Employee - OTR Driver
    Current Employee - OTR Driver

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Money if you never go home and have good dispatch.

Cons

Never go home on time. Negative paychecks due to leasing and poor dispatch organization. Can never get a hold of my driver manager. Ever. I have to call someone else to have him talk to me. If I'm lucky. I have dealt with 3 other people just this past week trying to get bogus loads fixed into loads that exist. And since Swift has taken over their methods make NO sense to me. O/Os no longer have priority over company drivers in the shop. I have a truck payment..
    Also even before Swift takeover I never could get home on time. Missed a family reunion and I had to take off later and drive my own car 500 miles to get to family. I always add a few days before I actually need home time due to this. Even if I bug them about it too for several days.
    I've had worse jobs that paid less and was content.. its sad that this job reduces me to a whiner to get paid due to all the B.S. I am currently under the second bogus load in two days.

Stick to what works. Fire the people that don't answer phones, never fix your issues or never communicates both ways. Change is bad for dispatch and the Qualcomm. Swift needs a swift kick on the head.

Sorry I took the job

Former Employee - Driver in Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Driver in Fontana, CA

I worked at Central Refrigerated Service full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None I can think of

Cons

Lying Cheating back stabbing jerks

Don't lie and keep your promises

It was great until the Swift transition. Now awful.

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

Pros

Was good before the Swift takeover,

Cons

Swift takeover resulting in Central trucks sitting, no work, DM cann't tell us anything, Swift terminal employees extremely Rude!! Management lied about nothing changing, they are ellimiting support staff jobs at Central. QC didn't work right for over a week.

Find new jobs, you're history.

Dispatchers are nice, and until the swift acquisition, didn't treat you like a number

Former Employee - Owner Operator in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Owner Operator in Folsom, CA

I worked at Central Refrigerated Service as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

new trucks, its a half decent company to work for if you stay a company driver, DO NOT GO OWNER OP! its a trap, they make more money and pay less taxes and while it looks like you make more, you don't.

Cons

forced routing, forced loads, lousy pay (O.O are nickle and dimed to be penniless at the end of the week) DO NOT go owner operator! its a trap, they make more money and pay less taxes and while it looks like you make more, you don't.

since SWIFT transportation bought Central Ref. i was treated more and more like a number and less like a person, my pay was reduced, bonuses dropped, and no one would answer my calls. change all those, and i would be happy to come back.

not a job for a black man o/o make all the real money and miles

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Conley, GA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Conley, GA

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service full-time (less than a year)

Pros

none u dont make money at all

Cons

see the country great job if ur out for fin

treat every body the same

leasing agent

Current Employee - Leasing Agent in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Leasing Agent in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Central Refrigerated Service full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

getting to work with people one on one.

Cons

there is really nothing to dislike about the company, it is going thru some major changes and the culture of the business is being changed and not for the better.

dedicated conagra frozen fleet driver

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Pasco, WA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Pasco, WA

Pros

great people to work with seems they want their drivers to be successful.

Cons

they push Lease Op a lot this is new account but they want to run it like OTR when it is local operation.

let your local managers run the office with out your input on non capital projects like having a reefer tech on staff, ordering parts without your approval allowing shop managers to make local connections with out going through your parts service in salt lake. let them get charge accounts with local vendors to make equipment repairs go smoothly and turn around a lot faster. stop calling lease operators owner ops unless you plan to give the lessor a title after completion of lease.

Lacking management and training

Former Employee - OTR Driver in Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in Fontana, CA

I worked at Central Refrigerated Service full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people at central seem nice.

Cons

Training is bare minimum , their idea of benefits are making you pay a higher rate than you could get them for without working there. Their 401k is through an independent contractor and has all to do with you and not them. When you need to get a hold of someone and have to leave a message don't expect any call back. To get any answers, expect to be on the phone for hours and to talk to many people. NEAR NO WEEKEND OR EVENING SUPPORT. Company currently in a class action from owner operators that they jacked over.

I was fired and have been told I have to pay back for the lack of training I received, while those who were let go right after training never had to pay a dime. Why are employees that work for central personalized for making the cut? Every time I had an issue it took hours to try to get resoled with the company. Management is lacking and the people are too under trained to be effective and operate smooth. I had only talked to 1 of 80+ drivers in 6 months that thought the company was ran half decent. the rest all believed there was massive management failure.

they have a scam set up for their lease program. stay away!!

Former Employee - OTR Driver in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Central Refrigerated Service full-time (more than a year)

Pros

HUMMM...pros!? Well, you get to drive new truck, too bad they take AL the money you make

Cons

I could go forever into detail of the scam set up. But lets say STAY AWAY from the lease program. They pick and choose who THEY want to succeed. if they don't pick you, they take every cent you make, throwing you a little once a month to keep you going. Yey they will tell you your doing it wrong.