Central States Manufacturing, Inc.

www.centralstatesmfg.com

Donna Leger

Fast paced and intense

Current Employee - Panel Line in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Panel Line in Lowell, AR

I have been working at Central States Manufacturing, Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

More than competitive pay, full benefits that are dirt cheap. Probably the best medical insurance I have ever had. Immediate management is easily accessible and open.
    Management is always pushing us to advance and help open up doors if we show the motivation. You'll learn all kinds of spanish,

Cons

2nd shift is completely awful for anyone with a family or zeal for life, expect 12 hour days 3-4 days a week. 55+ hours a week is hard on a family. You can get thrown to the side rather quickly if you are not a fast learner...primarily in loading.

Panel line is hard tough work but very rewarding and staffed with an awesome group of guys!

Maybe stop the temp cycle on 2nd shift, dont keep a temp for 90 days just to replace them. If they dont produce replace them at 30 days, that way they dont have false hopes of getting hired.

Toxic

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Michigan City, IN
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Michigan City, IN

I worked at Central States Manufacturing, Inc.

Pros

Esop has a good payout. The real employees, meaning non management, really do have eachothers backs in this organization, however many are terminated upon expressing concerns with the rampant managerial abuses associated with this company.

Cons

Toxic sales management. Witch hunts. Leadership through fear and intimidation techniques. Bully management. Little to no chance at promotion. Sexual harassment.

Lead from the front, instead of barking orders from the rear. Management could not be more out of touch with the pulse of this company.

No Honesty, No Integrity, No Accountability

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Jasper, AL
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Jasper, AL

I worked at Central States Manufacturing, Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefit package was acceptable.

Cons

This review is for Metal Central, the retail side of Central States Mfg. in Jasper, AL.

Management is extremely ignorant of market conditions in the Jasper territory. There are both distributors (wholesale customers) and retail (Contractors and homeowners) in the territory. Metal Central is required to compete against both distributors and contractors for new business. This creates a lot of friction and poor customer relations. Distributors complain that Metal Central sells directly to its contractors and homeowners that buy from them and contractors complain that Metal Central will sell directly to the homeowner for the same price it will sell them (contractors). There is no loyalty to volume customers. . Management felt that they were the only game in town so they did not have to deliver on superior service and support.

Communication in the plant and between the plant and Metal Central is horrible. Breakdowns and shortages never get communicated to Metal Central. Customers showed up to get their orders only to be told it wasn't ready. Customers have had to wait as long as 4 hours to load their orders. The commitment from Central States is get your order in by 3pm, pick it up after 7am. We were continually apologizing to our customers for issues beyond our control. Management at Central States had no interest in supporting the customer service commitment with contractors of Metal Central.

There is no innovation in Central States. To survive in retail, new products and improved methods of delivery are critical. There was no interest or support for any type of innovation.

Don't expect any training, coaching, strategic meetings, tactical instruction, or support in any way. Management is inept at forecasting, planning, analysis, or anything else to do with retail. They may be distribution czars but they are retail dipsticks.

I watched Central States, in just the short time I was there, move from a relationship company to a transaction company. Everything is about the almighty dollar. In their Mission Statement, they say they are dedicated to the personal growth and well-being of each team member. Not so! I've watched them humiliate good employees over senseless, petty acts. I've watched supervisors throw employees under the bus for personal gain or at least their unwillingness to stand up for their employees. Further, in their Mission Statement, Central States promises to maintain total honesty and integrity with everyone their lives may touch. I tell you, Carl Carpenter is turning over in his grave. They have no honesty or integrity in my opinion.

In summary, if you are looking for a short term J.O.B., where you can experience humiliation, embarrassment, no support, no innovation, and no chance for success, this may be the perfect job for you.

New blood brings new life

This is a very good company to work for that has opportunities for advancement

Former Contractor - Roll Former in Lowell, AR
    Former Contractor - Roll Former in Lowell, AR

I worked at Central States Manufacturing, Inc. as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Advancement
    Growth of company
    Most weekends off

Cons

Long hours
    As a temp, it is sometimes longer than 90 days to get hired

Continue to keep the opinions of the employees in mind when you continue to grow the company.

Ramant discrimination and 85% turnover in this organization

Current Employee - Sales in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Sales in Lowell, AR

I have been working at Central States Manufacturing, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not many. My favorite day with Central States will be when I tender my resignation

Cons

Discrimination. Workplace harassment, sexual and racial. Whistles blowers are swiftly and indiscriminately terminated. People have left this company suicidal due to the ammount of harassment and lack of quality of life. This could be the most toxic workplace that I have ever encountered. Labor Dept. is alaways investigating Central States for violation.

Key VP's in this company will need to be removed fromdealing with live people before any changes will happen. Most specific in sales.

Great company for someone pursuing a career in operations

Current Employee - Employee Owner in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Employee Owner in Lowell, AR

I have been working at Central States Manufacturing, Inc.

Pros

Employees are not placed in a "silo", that is, they have the ability to move between departments to gain experience if they desire.
    Employees are able to participate in an employee stock ownership program which can build retirement if a person stays long enough.

Cons

Company not conducive to a person trying to make a career as an office professional.
    The progression plan for an employee is not clear.

Would try to develop a more concrete progression plan for new employees so that they would have a direction and goals to complete.

Central States Manufacturing, Inc.: Employee. Owner. Me.

Current Employee - CFE150 Coordinator / Administrative Manager in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - CFE150 Coordinator / Administrative Manager in Lowell, AR

I have been working at Central States Manufacturing, Inc.

Pros

EMPLOYEE OWNERSHIP. Not only are employees credited with stock every year, to a large degree they are treated like employees. They are encouraged to submit ideas for improvements, and those ideas are acted upon or the reason why not is given. BENEFITS. The company pays 81-85% of health insurance premiums, depending on which of two options is chosen. Vacation is generous, earning three weeks after only three years of service. FAMILY ATMOSPHERE. There is a great group of people to work with. People genuinely care about each other, and the company values support keeping priorities straight - God and Family before work. VALUES. Integrity, Excellence, Accountability, Success/Quality of Life, Financial Success. Not just words on the wall, but words to live by.

Cons

Like any company, sometimes things can be frustrating. And for people who don't want to work hard (not long) and who don't want to "think like owners," it may not be a good cultural fit.

Share more of the reasons why you choose to promote certain people. Sometimes it can look like favoritism, although pretty much all of the choices have turned out to be correct.