Central Texas Medical Center

Updated December 10, 2014
3.2

CEO

FANTASTIC work environment

I have been working at Central Texas Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The leadership is truly interested in the well-being of their employees despite other reviews on here. They are genuine and caring and unfortunately have had to make some tough calls the last few years due to shifting business priorities (let's not forget, even though it's a non-profit hospital, they have to make money to stay in business.) I'm left to do my job with no micromanagement and held accountable for results. This is TRULY a faith-based organization--you will often pray before meetings and in your group huddles, so if that makes you uncomfortable, then this probably isn't the place for you. They live the mission of "Extending the Healing Ministry of Christ"...they walk the walk not just talk the talk like so many other "faith-based" hospitals.

Cons

I honestly can't think of many right now. As with any organizations, there are some long-term employees that are resistant to change, but slowly they are retiring and/or being managed out. CTMC is growing rapidly and they need to get on the bus or get out of the way.

The PDO (paid days off) program isn't the best...but it's not the worst I've ever had in my career. Management could be a bit more visible inside the hospital at times, but I can understand how busy they are. All in all, senior management are good people doing a great job.

Neutral

I have been working at Central Texas Medical Center full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance
    Mostly positive atmosphere

Cons

Raises are few and far between, and no one likes to feel like they're at a dead end.

Was okay

I have been working at Central Texas Medical Center

Pros

You are always busy and the pt you get to help

Cons

There are lots but you can make it and it's a great place to work

Just for them to be honest with employees

ancillary service director is very unethical

Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Austin, TX

I worked at Central Texas Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

salary, nursing staff, co-workers, shift hours

Cons

The entire full time pharmacist staff including the director were forced to resign with a total of 47 years of
    experience.

curb your unethical behavior

CTMC

Current Employee - Staff RN in San Marcos, CA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in San Marcos, CA

I have been working at Central Texas Medical Center full-time

Pros

!I can't think of a good reason to work at CTMC.

Cons

!There is no formal preceptorship like in any well established hospital. The time spent on education is minimal. Nurses are not very accepting of other nurses. I have never worked somewhere where there is so much backstabbing and gossip. The Doctors I have worked with are less than satisfactory, they have attitude, God complex, and they don't listen to the nurses who are protecting their butts! CTMC works by seniority not by your ability or intelligence level. House supervisors know where to find things but not how to handle critical situations, nor do the physicians. Overall management is very poor. Staffing is less than adequate. The computer software used is not efficient nor user friendly. You spend 80% of your time charting and very little time with your patients. When Doctors place orders about 60% of them don't apply, they are just pre-populated.....confusing! Turn over rate for nurses is high. I hear that some of management has gotten away with things that would blow your mind, and not only are they still there but have been promoted. Everything I heard about CTMC prior to working there has unfortunately been confirmed. I honestly wish I had positive things to say about CTMC.

Listen to your staff! Value and use those employees with sound morale judgement, those that can see the big picture. Look less at seniority and more at who can perform a job best. There needs to be more people from the outside in administration. Make sure that staff are well aware that when they stand up for what is right that you will support them. Go around weekly and ask nurses what is going well and what is not.

CTMC SAN MARCOS TX

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Marcos, TX
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Marcos, TX

I have been working at Central Texas Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Christ-centered, convenient to town. A few really good staff members on night shift. Good MDs on night shift.

Cons

Poor leadership, unethical behavior among staff members. Lateral violence among staff which leads to poor patient care. A lot of "cover my butt" mentality. Poor response from administration when complaints filed. Feels like a lot of good old boys if you aren't in the "clique" you are not worthy. Very poor work environment.

Pay attention to what is happening in ER. There is a lot of lateral violence and unethical behavior in the Emergency Department. Note the number of experienced nurses lost.

Its for some people

I have been working at Central Texas Medical Center

Pros

You can make friends here. The job is relativity easy. It has been slow lately so not much to do. I can go home early a lot.

Cons

They are looking to make cutbacks. New competition moving into the area. The hospital may be on the way out.

Good luck in the future. Some people may not be suited for their jobs. You need some go-getters. Most of your people are just their collecting pay checks.