Central Washington University

CEO

Marketing Manager & eCommerce Coordinator

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Ellensburg, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Ellensburg, WA

I have been working at Central Washington University part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You're given a lot of responsibility and it is truly a great place to gain some skills as a college student
    Everyone knows you, when you go to work you will look forward to it!

Cons

To me there is not one con about this job or any that you will encounter at the Wildcat Shop

Even though it becomes a family atmosphere, don't be afraid to let go of dead weight in the company.

Pretty good, get paid to answer questions and help other students, otherwise I just do homework.

I have been working at Central Washington University

Pros

It's relaxed, the boss Zachary is a very professional guy who minds his own business and as long as you do your job he doesn't bother you. If you like helping people this is a great job and when there are no questions you can do what you usually do in the computer lab, homework, projects and surf the net.

Cons

Minimum wage. Also I wouldn't say it's a con, but it can be stressful trying to help people with their projects and homework especially if you forgot how to do it, don't want to look like you're clueless.

NA

I was a student Office Assistant. I worked with university staff, faculty, and students.

Former Employee - Studet Office Assistant in Ellensburg, WA
    Former Employee - Studet Office Assistant in Ellensburg, WA

I worked at Central Washington University (more than 3 years)

Pros

The department I worked with was very excited about giving student opportunities to grow professionally. They were focused on making work experience as a student valuable after graduation.

Cons

The company was in almost constant change. The department itself was always re-organizing and we had 3 different directors during my three and a half years of employment, including two periods of time with the director position left unfilled. I had been with this department longer than more than half of the full time staff.

Students and many of the classified staff are great to work with and for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellensburg, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellensburg, WA

I worked at Central Washington University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Helping students achieve their goals.
    Every day was different.

Cons

Upper management (Associate Directors, Directors) are way out of touch with day to day activities. Most, potentially all, are over-paid and as a habit, pass their job duties off onto lower level employees. There is blatant abuse of the exempt status when it comes to actually working a full, 40 hour work week.

Stop taking so many coffee breaks in front of classified staff.

Overall a great place to work as an adjunct, or tenure-track/tenured faculty member.

I worked at Central Washington University

Pros

Great teachers, staff and benefits. Everyone is focused on enhancing student learning using face-to-face, hybrid, and fully-online curriculum delivery. Administration shares governance with faculty and students; very progressive. Flexibility and willingness to adapt to changing demands of the publicly-funded higher education market.

Cons

The usual politics that come with any organization. However, upper management is closely allied and works with faculty towards shared governance, something missing from many public institutions of higher education.

Continue working closely with faculty and students; you're doing great!

What a great place!

Former Employee - Fry Cook and Server in Ellensburg, WA
    Former Employee - Fry Cook and Server in Ellensburg, WA

I worked at Central Washington University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Super convenient, everyone there is very supportive and nice. They are also very flexible in helping to fit all types of schedules. Had a blast working there! It was a great way to earn a little money while studying.

Cons

Can get tedious at times depending on the position. Training could be a little longer, but they are pretty patient with you.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Great place to be a TA

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Ellensburg, WA
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Ellensburg, WA

I worked at Central Washington University (more than a year)

Pros

Small town charm, nice people, helpful staff

Cons

Pay for TAs is too low

Pretty nice

I have been working at Central Washington University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working where I did, and as a student employee it was a great place to start working. My boss in particular was very nice about when we had something we needed to do and allowing us makeup shifts.

Cons

Time management, no way of getting a raise as a student even if you work in the same place for more than one year, and some of the jobs can be very tedious.

Please consider even a small raise for returning students if they're doing a good job, it gives them incentive to come back.

Good value

I have been working at Central Washington University

Pros

great value and many opportunities among a small student population

Cons

lacks division 1 sports and does not carry the same reputation as others

Great people to work with and to be around.

Former Employee - Busser, CWU Dining Services in Ellensburg, WA
    Former Employee - Busser, CWU Dining Services in Ellensburg, WA

I worked at Central Washington University part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very accepting and polite whether you are a student or not. Lots of opportunities to meet new people from all across the globe. One may regret that they stopped working here.

Cons

May experience some time management issues if you are a working student. Difficult to find balance between classwork and regular work. Other students may be a bit loud also.