Centrica

Updated May 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sam Laidlaw

A friendly warm company to work for that experiences constant change

Project Manager (Former Employee) Staines, England (UK)

ProsGood Salaries
    Great Environment
    Flexible Working ethos
    Opportunities to advance rank through natural progression

ConsLack of qualified leadership
    Communication issues between departments

Advice to Senior ManagementBe mindful of certain supplier and Centrica management relationships that exist as a consequence of continued personal favours, specifically within IS Telephony that are proving disastrous to rapport between end business users and IS in general.

Lots of potential but weak leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of opportunities, especially in North West England. Merging from small independent with major energy player

ConsThe best leaders left after the merger (hostile take over)and what remains are weak and ineffectual. Terrible communicators and very little people skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some leaders who have strong people skills who can communicate with all levels of staff. It is too hierarchical and the Centrica policies go against all the previous ethos of Venture

Good brand name to work for with low growth opportunity

Project Manager (Former Employee) Staines, England (UK)

ProsGood work life balance.
    Good Training.
    People are looked after well

ConsToo hierarchical, hard to get a job done. Required numerous sign offs for simple project gates.
    No growth in IT space.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Important company with a lot of potential.

ProsEmployee well-being. Perks. Culture. People.

ConsI.T. Infrastructure. Career Opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more intelligently in I.T.

midstream

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Proscontrols, fair. clear DOA

Constoo focused on (made up) hurdle rates and ROCE

Advice to Senior Managementallow a little more entrepreneurism and controlled/greed position tasking which is consistently applied across the whole of the team

Great company struggling with cost cutting and asset margins

Head of IS: Power (Current Employee) Windsor, South East England, England (UK)

ProsRemuneration, professional colleagues, spectrum of roles and issues to challenge you

ConsVery heavy focus on cost cutting and outsourcing

Advice to Senior ManagementThink more about value

Generally a good experience, some interesting projects to work on. The business itself has many different aspects

IT Manager (Current Employee) Windsor, South East England, England (UK)

ProsAlways better to work for a profitable company, good chance of bonus plus other benefits. Some excellent colleagues
    Centrica is an integrated energy company so its possible to get exposure to Oil & Gas Exploration and Production, Energy Trading, Power Generation, large construction projects such as offshore windfarms , new power stations, offshore gas platforms. Logistics, customer service and analytics etc in the British Gas retail division.

ConsMost of the office locations are not great, overcrowded bench desks often struggle to find desk space, meeting rooms, parking space.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't risk losing more of the people that understand the business from your IT functions, Non IT staff appreciate having IT people close at hand
    Don't stifle innovation by such restrictive desktop policies, it's so difficult to get any software installed on corporate laptops even from companies like Microsoft or SAP that employees give up and get very frustrated.
    If you want to save money by using hot-desks introduce an office space booking system

I only worked there over the summer but I enjoyed it and learnt a lot. It seems like a good place to work.

Graduate Intern (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosopportunity to be involved with a huge worldwide company; clear reporting structure; lots of opportunities for career development; good facilities on site in Windsor e.g. gym and canteen

ConsIn such a huge company, it is possible to get stuck in one area and not get the breadth of experience that you might get elsewhere. Not many cons really!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Engaging, Challenging, Great Network

Business Analyst (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIt seems that everyone in Centrica has been everywhere else. The best part of this network is that the employee base is highly skilled and have good backgrounds. The company is often signing agreements to work with consultancies and other third parties, so regardless of your career aspirations, there is an opportunity to realise it here. Recent collaborations include KPMG, Ernst and Young, PWC and Capgemini.
    Great work life balance (9-5) is common, onsite gym, good restaurant etc...

ConsAs with every single organisation, the onus is on the employee to source opportunities, manage development, find projects and build a career.

The best people often speak of rising about challenges and going beyond the call of duty. The graduate scheme gives you an opportunity to work across the entire UK business.

For career progression, I would advise finding opportunities outside the organisation after 3 years of service. Things change at a slow pace and you can easily fall into a routine.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is sometimes difficult for management teams to dedicate time and effort to employee engagement, however, this is key to ensure employees are kept motivated and feel that they are contributing to the overall business goal.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood work life balance
    Stable work environment

ConsCareer growth opportunities sometimes not equal

Worked for Centrica? Contribute to the Community!