Centro Reviews

Updated April 10, 2015
85 reviews filtered by
4.6
Shawn Riegsecker

Pros
  • Very flexible and generally a good work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Great benefits and pay is very comparable or slightly above the industry standard (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is growing fast, but not as linear as a normal agency that many employees are used to (in 4 reviews)

• This is more a con of the industry but it's fast-paced and fragmented (in 6 reviews)

There is a reason that Centro keeps making the list for best places to work!

Current Employee - Campaign Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Campaign Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Centro has so many great perks, but I would say that the company culture is the best thing. Centro offers such an engaging atmosphere that encourages all employees to become a better version of themselves. Centro has great health/dental benefits, 15 days paid vacation, 10 Ferris Bueller (personal) days, fresh fruit delivery, snacks in every office, gym reimbursement, great happy hours, stock options and a 401 (k) match. The 401 (k) match is very generous which is 50% up to 8% of your salary and great work/life balance. The manifesto and Shawn's vision for Centro revolves around employee development and becoming a better version of yourself. You can really tell since Centro does invest in their employees. One of the pros that gets skimmed over is education piece. Centro offers leadership training sessions amongst many others that are missing in most companies. Centro also encourages their employees to find their own track within the company and your managers will get you to the next step if you show the effort. Centro truly is a great place to work!

Cons

I really can't think of too many cons about Centro, but if I had to pick one I would say being in a satellite office. I think the smaller offices do not have the same culture vibe as the larger ones.

Advice to Management

Keep believing and striving toward a product that will help the fragmented industry out there. Also, please continue to keep investing in your employees and maintaining the culture as the company continues to grow. It really makes an impact on employee satisfaction.

2. Great Company

I worked at Centro

Pros

Some of the benefits are great medical, dental, employer HSA contributions, employer 401K match, on-site yoga classes, lunch and learns and more.

Cons

If you are an extrovert and like to cocktail with co-workers, this is a great environment for you. If you are more introverted, it may be more of a struggle to fit in depending on the department.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great over all culture. Best of luck!

Really fun people, rewarding work and GREAT happy hours

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Centro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Working on building a scalable web platform that users will interact with 8 hours a day.
    - Huge learning opportunity. Lot of very unique problems to solve in the advertising industry.
    - Flexibility to work in any area of engineering. You're looked at as a full stack engineer.
    - Monthly happy hours are extremely fun.
    - CEO is very approachable, and actively seeks feedback.
    - Quite easily the best work/life balance.
    - Culture speaks for itself, having won best place to work for the past 4 years.

Cons

- Lot of process changes made it tough to get into a rhythm.
    - There's experienced developers and architects, then a considerable drop-off.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide developers the platform to work on exciting and challenging problems. Keep it a fun and stress-free environment regardless of the circumstances.

As good as it gets

Current Employee - Junior Designer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Junior Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centro

Pros

Centro really is the best place to work. Incredibly generous benefits and paid time off. This company is full of people who are not only very smart but very kind.

Cons

Honestly can't think of any!

Words can't do it justice it is so good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Centro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Communication, accessibility, transparency, culture, benefits, coworkers, and more. You can ask someone who has been there a day or 8 years, that feeling of being at a really good place doesn't fade. I feel lucky to work here

Cons

good luck finding any. so far there is nothing I see that is a negative aspect yet

Advice to Management

keep pushing forward and rocking the industry

7. Nothing short of Amazing!

Current Employee - Account Lead in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Lead in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My favorite thing about working at Centro is the people and culture. We spend a lot of time at work so for me it is really important to be around people who love what they do, have a positive attitude and are excited to do work. Digital and technology is a challenging space but we have a great service and product, combine that with the team, it makes work life very enjoyable and fun!

Cons

We cant bring our furry friends to the office!

Advice to Management

Keep up the positivity! I love coming to work having a team that promotes growth and positivity!

Centro

I have been working at Centro

Pros

It's an ok place to work, benefits are nice to have. It is located in a city. The office is indoors.

Cons

I wish that everyone could get Macs, not just developers and/or creative. Snacking option leave a bit to be desired.

Centro was a major disappointment

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Centro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Centro has three main pros. First, our CEO knows what he's doing. Second, the benefits are mostly pretty great--free yoga three times a week, a bike room, the 401k match is beyond generous, etc. Finally, there are talented engineers on the team, though most people we have hired in the last six months or so have been very junior.

Cons

Centro's promises were a lie. When I was hired, they promised flexibility, a positive work environment where learning from mistakes and growing were paramount, kick-ass benefits, and the opportunity to work on a possibly market changing product.

By this past August, over two thirds of the engineers had quit.

Earlier last year, new management was brought into the engineering department. They decided to stop all work on our main project and scrap what we had. This is the second time in as many years that all development work on this project has been halted, the app completely re-architected, and engineering yelled at because we didn't control scope creep (which is a product issue--our product team has been completely replaced three times in the last couple years).

This new management were mostly consultants brought in to get a product out the doors. Suddenly, we had after work meetings lasting until 9pm. The entire engineering team was yelled at multiple times for questioning why development work was being completely scraped when a good portion of the code was really good, worked, and could be reused in a new product. We were often left in the dark about high level management decisions, only to be suddenly surprised that we were doing things not to management's liking. It was very confusing to be told one month that hey, we're doing things this one way, and then the next be screamed at in a meeting because we were doing things in the agreed upon way.

One of Centro's big selling points are its awesome benefits: 15 days PTO when you start, plus 10 "Ferris Bueller" anytime days. The purpose of these days was to use them as freebie days, for any reason, as long as your responsibilities were covered. We were told that we weren't allowed to use Ferris Bueller days as intended, and anyone who used one needed "a good reason". Engineering management told us that Centro's work from home policies were too lose--we have many remote workers and several people live over two hours form the office (one direction) and specifically picked Centro because of the great remote working policy. From that point onward, working from home got people targeted for "having a bad attitude”, despite their actual attitude.

The product Centro is building is unrealistic; it aims to be the be-all end-all of placing ads online. Larger companies have built similar products that target specific types of ads (e.g., video ads, text ads for certain platforms). This is supposed to support everything. Just hitting the main APIs for ad placement is a gigantic project, and engineering has had to rebuild this APIs multiple times since management keeps scrapping what we have.

If you're an engineer and you're looking to work at Centro, work elsewhere. The benefits are great (PTO is generous, health insurance is awesome, snacks are provide in excess), but the drama, politics and nepotism will make you hate your job, as it did for me and over 15 other engineers. Centro isn't worth it.

Advice to Management

Get your development and product team together. There's too much over the wall between each group. Also, focus one type of ad for one service, launch with that, and then iterate and improve the workflow that way. With so many external APIs to hit, it's hard to ship something, and honestly, at this point, something is better than nothing. The current scope is too large. Work on communication between the management of engineering and the actual engineers--a ten minute weekly meeting where the goings-on at the top are announced would be a great place to start.

LITERALLY the best place to work

I have been working at Centro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people and team work environment to be in every day. The overall company benefits and views. The PTO and Ferris Bueller Days.

Cons

There is not always a ton of room for growth, but HR does help when they can to spread open positions.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on....

Your world changes when you work at Centro...

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at Centro

Pros

There are no bridges to cross working at Centro but only a clear path to opportunity, growth and happiness. Centro's ability to combine engagement, meaning and a great work culture enables everyone to excel and grow their skill sets.

Cons

Were growing so fast in each region that office space is starting to be noticeable. As with any company having the success that Centro is having, this issue is being addresses by Centro Leadership.

Advice to Management

Keep sharing the insight and news about the Centro growth and direction the company is going.