Centro Reviews

Updated September 3, 2014
Updated September 3, 2014
4.6

Shawn Riegsecker

Pros
  • Very flexible and generally a good work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Great benefits and pay is very comparable or slightly above the industry standard (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is growing fast, but not as linear as a normal agency that many employees are used to (in 4 reviews)

• This is more a con of the industry but it's fast-paced and fragmented (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

I actually enjoy going to work!

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centro full-time

Pros

One of the best places I've had the pleasure to code at. There are good benefits, including generous PTO and flexible work from home. Refreshingly, this is the only place I've been where people use their PTO as they see fit and feel no pressure to fake being sick. In addition I feel that Centro is a transparent organization that values its employees and respects their personal life.

As an engineer Centro is an exciting place to be right now. We're working on an ambitious and sophisticated project that will change the face of the company and industry. There is good leadership, and solid development plans that are being executed with an agile approach. I feel that the current dev team is really doing software right, and there are a lot of smart people here making it happen.

Cons

On the petty side, we are running out of room in the office and snacks, drinking glasses, etc. disappear quickly. More significantly, I think we'd be better off if there was more cohesion between the different departments and offices of the organization.

Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Company culture- people are amazing and the company goes out of its way to make sure their employees are taken care of. There's a reason so many people have worked here for several years

- Hard word is rewarded- if you are good at your job, work hard and have a goal of reaching another position within the company, there is a great chance of getting promoted. There have been a lot of employees who started at Centro at entry level positions in account management and are now in senior sales/management roles

- Vacation- Upon hire you get 3 weeks and additional personal days

- Management- I've always respected any manager I have worked with- never a feeling of being micro-managed

Cons

- Advancement may not be as linear as other companies- you must be proactive and voice your goals

- Keep up the good work

Strong Product Vision, Cares About Employees

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best thing about Centro is the leadership, the culture and the people mixed with a strong product vision for the future of digital advertising. Leadership operates the company as transparent as possible and you can tell there is a genuine and authentic desire to do all they can to ensure employees are really happy and fulfilled. At the same time, the company has a huge product vision for the future and it expects to change how the advertising industry operates forever.

It's an incredibly exciting time to work at the company! We're hiring tons of people across all aspects from engineering, product and design to sales and media operations. The company is growing fast and I feel we have an excellent leadership team that works incredibly well together.

Cons

The biggest challenges have to do with managing the rapid growth of the company and keeping the amazing culture that Centro has worked hard to build. Building an awesome company and culture is really difficult to do in any environment but keeping it as you grow rapidly (now over 500 employees) will always represent a great challenge. That said, if any company can accomplish this, I believe Centro can do it.

My best advice to management is to keep doing what you've been doing but work hard to ensure that all employees know how much you care about them. As the company gets bigger, and people are further away from top management, it's important Centro keeps it's "personal' feel about it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company unless you are looking to develop quality software

Former Employee - Engineering Team  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Engineering Team in Chicago, IL

I worked at Centro full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company with great benefits. HR people are very nice and customer support is great.

Cons

This is the worst development job in my long career. It is sad because the company has some great potential and some really smart engineers. The problem is that the relatively new CTO (MR) is absolutely clueless on how to manage anything. Yes, he is technically smart and has some good experience. Unfortunately, that has not translated into someone that can lead a team to success or manage people. The tech organization has been stalled for a number of years. The CTO sat on his butt in California thinking about how smart he is and how much better California is than Chicago (where the company is headquartered). Meanwhile a year goes by the tech team has not produced anything and the architecture is a mess. Then the CTO points fingers at everyone else and can't understand why nothing is happening. He hires this "executive wannabe" woman from a consulting company who really screws things up. Bottom line: If the CTO's initials are still MR, do not think about taking a development position here in spite of all of the hype.

Get rid of the CTO and his cronie. He is doing nothing and she is only causing strife and politics to spread in the organization.

Best job I've had so far

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centro full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is energetic and constantly pushing you to learn. I am surrounded by highly skilled teammates and everyone pulls their weight. The yoga and constant food is also amazing.

Cons

Fast paced. As long as you are willing to put in the work this is only really a pro.

Great place to work and grow

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I work with great people in a great environment that is trying to make a difference in the industry. I love that I'm encouraged to be a resource and help in any way I can to make a clients day better.

Cons

We move fast and have big dreams for the future. Sometimes that is hard to keep up with the changes that come along with that, but we try our best.

Great company

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work-life balance, great benefits, wonderful people

Cons

Raises are not given out unless you are promoted

Great Company Evolving Business model

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is one of the most progressive companies you can ever hope to work for. The company truly cares about and fosters the growth of it's people. The company is experiencing rapid growth and the business model along with the industry is changing rapidly. There are lots of smart people that work hard ot make the business successful.

Cons

The positive culture can result in people worrying about being nice over addressing critical performance issues. Must be more honest about the business and what must be done to address the gaps. Industry is changing rapidly and Centro must change to keep pace.

The vision for the company must be crystallized and communicated more effectively. Centro cannot be all things to all people. Must move from a human based business to a business that is run off of data and technology in order to succeed in the long run.

A collection of fun, smart people who work to do their best every day.

Current Employee - Supervisor, Campaign Analytics  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor, Campaign Analytics in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love the work I do and the company I do it for. There's a great mix of regular/routine work and new, challenging requests and responsibilities that makes the work interesting without being overwhelming. The greatest thing about Centro, though, is the people. I've never experienced another company that has such smart people who both understand what the work they do AND genuinely care so much about what they're doing. Layering on Centro's excellent culture creates an environment where relationships are more akin to a close friendship than to simply being work peers. It drives you to work that much harder when you know the people benefiting are working just as hard for you.

Cons

While our "slow to hire, quick to fire" mentality ensures that we only have the right people working here, it also means that when we're understaffed (usually due to new business, rarely to employees leaving) it takes a while to get some relief.

Best media advertising culture in the business. People are valued!

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Senior leadership is transparent and available, know how to have fun, fess up to mistakes, and are genuinely concerned for the people that work from them. This bleeds through the entire company and makes teams more collaborative, across departments and markets. You can read about all the other great perks on the website. :-)

Cons

This is not always a con, but Centro is a very sticky place and individuals sometimes lack outside experience. This creates a lack of perspective and objectivity in some situations.

Diversity is severely lacking, which is also an industry problem, but Centro has the type of culture to make a real impact here if they would make the effort.

Worked for Centro? Contribute to the Community!