Centro

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
4.5

Shawn Riegsecker

Pros
  • Very flexible and generally a good work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Great benefits and pay is very comparable or slightly above the industry standard (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is growing fast, but not as linear as a normal agency that many employees are used to (in 4 reviews)

• This is more a con of the industry but it's fast-paced and fragmented (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

The best place to work...

I have been working at Centro full-time

Pros

I have been with Centro for many years now and it truly is the best place to work, for many reasons! The biggest reason for me is, it's a place that fosters personal and professional development. Managers really care about the growth and success of their team members. It's an organization that has a clear vision that everyone wants to get behind. The CEO and other Execs are able to motivate and lead their teams so everyone is working towards the greater goal. The great benefits are worth mentioning as well!

Cons

No cons to mention at this time

Keep doing what your doing!

Fantastic Culture & Strong Business Results All in One

I have been working at Centro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have never worked at a company that offers such deep transparency in its business results to employees and operates across the board under the principle of openness. Centro has a strong culture of collaboration and the teams are smart, high energy, hard working and focused on achieving results. There is also a deep appreciation for employees as individuals and to offer people the best opportunities possible based on performance. I like the company's focus on healthy living, work/life integration, and personal achievement.

Cons

I would like to see greater benefits for life insurance, LTD, retirement planning and family health plans. I think Centro skews its benefits to younger, single employees.

Recruiting talent for open positions takes longer than it should because the teams are very selective on hiring candidates. I would like to see the process speed up a bit so the teams can manage the growing workload.

Keep refining the marketing and vision messages. They are heading in the right direction.

Great Place to Work!!

I have been working at Centro

Pros

The key here is the people. People love working here and it shows. The culture is one of respect and integrity.
    Great benefits and perks. Committed people with a clear purpose. Engaged CEO.

Cons

Nothing that is worth writing about!

Keep doing what you are doing.

Great Place To Build A Career

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Centro

Pros

Centro is one of the few places in the media industry where you can build a great career. There used to be a lot but for a variety of reason, that's no longer the case. Centro engages employees with the assumption that they will work there a long time.
    You can grow at Centro whether you are in the early, middle or late stage of your career. The main reasons are that there's a big company investment in personal growth and that you get to work with BOTH technology and service, not one or the other.
    All this comes from the vision and strategy put together by the CEO, so it's a mature proven system for attracting, growing and retaining talent

Cons

There are very few daily cons about working at Centro. There are the usual fast-growing-company issues such as scarcity of resources but these eventually get fixed and should be expected. Day to day it's a fun and engaging place to work.
    The main con is that Centro struggles making its identity clear. Many people think it's an agency but it's actually an ad tech company with a fantastic service layer. The technology is relatively weak compared to the ad tech giants and mainly used internally, so this is the source of confusion.
    When the technology is more robust and it's identity is crystal clear Centro could really take off.

Stay the course.

Good experience, questionable longterm success

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Centro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Hard-working, positive people
    - Strong C-level leadership with the ability to inspire
    - Generous benefits and PTO. However in my experience "Ferris Bueller days" could not be used as freely as others have described.

Cons

- High volume, high stress, constant churn
    - Fell behind on programmatic and tried to make up for it by buying a DSP that does not perform for clients
    - Has been around for over a decade with the vision of going to market with a media planning software that has still not been fully developed or rolled out (much less adopted)
    - Annual raises do not exist but come only with promotions

Not What I Signed Up For -- Bait and Switch

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Centro full-time

Pros

Smart and talented staff. A lot of pair programming, and exchange of ideas. Successful as a middleman between buyers and sellers of online advertising.

Cons

Very siloed, engineering and the business side staff rarely interacted and socialized. The company has been trying to release software to market for years, and for a variety of reasons, that goal still seems distant. A lot of the "best workplace in Chicago" attributes that made Centro so attractive as an employer have been deliberately peeled away. Management rationalizes this by saying the staff needs to "step it up", so Centro can remain competitive in the marketplace.

The most troubling aspect to me was the shift towards a top-down, almost tyrannical management style. Employee feedback is now regarded as dissent, and people who dare to speak up are stigmatized as negative and humiliated in front of their peers. Due to this, almost half of the engineering team has left since June. This turnover, in no small part, has to do with new management in engineering.

Health insurance premium for employees with a family is by far the highest I've paid in my career.

Remember where you came from, the scrappy company that was dedicated to the growth and wellbeing of the individual, not the corporation. The start/stop/reset cycle has left the software effort stuck in "analysis paralysis". The more agile "experts" you bring in only exacerbates this issue.

Benefit Perks are AMAZING! Great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centro full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture is remarkable! I would consider every single person on my team fun to be around. They're always there for you if you need support. The compensation is satisfying, the benefits are great (Free office massages & free food), the holiday schedule PHENOMENAL (Ferris Bueller Days), monthly social events, and the company is growing rapidly.

Cons

A lot of young driven employees, competitive market.

I actually enjoy going to work!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centro full-time

Pros

One of the best places I've had the pleasure to code at. There are good benefits, including generous PTO and flexible work from home. Refreshingly, this is the only place I've been where people use their PTO as they see fit and feel no pressure to fake being sick. In addition I feel that Centro is a transparent organization that values its employees and respects their personal life.

As an engineer Centro is an exciting place to be right now. We're working on an ambitious and sophisticated project that will change the face of the company and industry. There is good leadership, and solid development plans that are being executed with an agile approach. I feel that the current dev team is really doing software right, and there are a lot of smart people here making it happen.

Cons

On the petty side, we are running out of room in the office and snacks, drinking glasses, etc. disappear quickly. More significantly, I think we'd be better off if there was more cohesion between the different departments and offices of the organization.

Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Centro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Company culture- people are amazing and the company goes out of its way to make sure their employees are taken care of. There's a reason so many people have worked here for several years

- Hard word is rewarded- if you are good at your job, work hard and have a goal of reaching another position within the company, there is a great chance of getting promoted. There have been a lot of employees who started at Centro at entry level positions in account management and are now in senior sales/management roles

- Vacation- Upon hire you get 3 weeks and additional personal days

- Management- I've always respected any manager I have worked with- never a feeling of being micro-managed

Cons

- Advancement may not be as linear as other companies- you must be proactive and voice your goals

- Keep up the good work

Strong Product Vision, Cares About Employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centro full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about Centro is the leadership, the culture and the people mixed with a strong product vision for the future of digital advertising. Leadership operates the company as transparent as possible and you can tell there is a genuine and authentic desire to do all they can to ensure employees are really happy and fulfilled. At the same time, the company has a huge product vision for the future and it expects to change how the advertising industry operates forever.

It's an incredibly exciting time to work at the company! We're hiring tons of people across all aspects from engineering, product and design to sales and media operations. The company is growing fast and I feel we have an excellent leadership team that works incredibly well together.

Cons

The biggest challenges have to do with managing the rapid growth of the company and keeping the amazing culture that Centro has worked hard to build. Building an awesome company and culture is really difficult to do in any environment but keeping it as you grow rapidly (now over 500 employees) will always represent a great challenge. That said, if any company can accomplish this, I believe Centro can do it.

My best advice to management is to keep doing what you've been doing but work hard to ensure that all employees know how much you care about them. As the company gets bigger, and people are further away from top management, it's important Centro keeps it's "personal' feel about it.