Century 21 Department Stores
c21stores.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Century 21 Department Stores Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014
Century 21 Department Stores – New York – “Lincoln Square, Manhattan, NY”

Century 21 Department Stores CEO Raymond Gindi

Raymond Gindi

Pros:
  • "fast paced experience environment and a set schedule to have unless you need to switch"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Great co-workers all around that makes the job worthwhile"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "not paying minimum wage as of 2/15/2014 paying over night under wage"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Low pay for cashiers who has to work their butts off around holidays"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Horrible Job

Sales/Cashier (Former Employee)
Rego Park, NY

I worked at Century 21 Department Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsSet Schedule You make Friends with co-workers outside of work

ConsNightmare! beware they belittle you, union takes your money out each pay check and don't do anything for you the benefits are co-pay and most doctors arent covered the managers are rude and treat you like your a child if you give an idea your opinions dont count long lines of customers at registers that you are assigned to, EVERYONE GOSSIPS are have relationships with their co-workers (managers even) also FAVORITISM they hire anyone convicts thieves & ghetto ppl. 30 min lunch breaks for a full 8hour shift! No chance to grow

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more efficient and strict on who you guys hire, COMMUNICATE with your employees treat all of us with respect and extend the lunch hours !

Good for a start

Cashier (Current Employee)
Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Century 21 Department Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsMeeting new people is nice
Learn how to work a cashier
Works with you if you have other obligations
Good schedule

ConsWork you to death
Very short lunch breaks
Treats workers like machines not like real people
Low discounts
Minimum wage

I worked at Century 21 Department Stores full-time for less than a year

ProsAs mentioned by many previous reviewers you will have little trouble reaching between 38-41 hours a week during season.

ConsUtterly inhumane management. The sterile cafeterias and locker rooms were my own Gulag Archipelago. Rude, violent co-workers. Encountered casual racism and inappropriate sexual conduct from several coworkers (including management).

Worse than the grinding monotony was the knowledge that there was surely a better more efficient way to complete most of my day to day tasks. (Keep a team on the floor for sales! Elevator runs to the stock-room were a complete waste of time and distracted from the customer focus) Impact team and a floor team.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire your mid - level management and recruit from outside of the company. The corruption runs too deeply.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The most Nasty, Unprofessional, Demeaning, Mentally Abusive, Un caring Company.

Beauty Advisor (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Century 21 Department Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsSet Schedule, full 40 hrs. They will hire ANYONE.

ConsOnly paying minimum wage (less than mc Donald s) in most cases. Complete Disorganization when it management n staff (cosmetics specifically) This store operates like high school episodes of Gossip Girl. Ran completely on emotions rather than logic, and god forbid actual customer service. I've been working here for 1.5 years and every day I have to talk my self into going back after lunch. I work hard, I mind my business. No I don't kiss ass, and I shouldn't have to, when I work hard. The work conditions suck. Freezing in the winter. Not allowed to use restrooms closest to you, Stock rooms seems un safe, like there might be asbestos on the walls. Hard workers and lazy workers get treated the same, like complete crap. Unless u like to gossip to mgrs. ( then u got it made) I hate this place!!!! I'm grateful for the opportunity, but I have to get out.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand what it is to manage. There should be a specific person for each job. Buyers, Buy (that's it stay in your place. stop gossiping, using your power unproductively, hurting people. Hire a visual marketing strategist to work over night. Stock merchandising should only happen after store hours (hire an over night crew for this). Be nice, Be nice, Be nice. Take notice to who, who, who your working with . Promote Positivity get with the program. Have an incentive program. Pay you people better. Educate. Stop killing us. (at least 3 workers have gotten ulcers)

Just disgraceful

Loss Prevention Guard (Former Employee)

I worked at Century 21 Department Stores full-time for less than a year

ProsFull time hours with unlimited overtime. A few (and I mean FEW) decent co-workers. In addition, they offered an employee discount (20% I believe). Provided a glimpse of what being in security is like (although I would have to do a cross-study on other security employers to gain a well-rounded idea).

ConsCompany treats associates poorly.
Having to pat down associates (and be patted down) was morally degrading. It was as if this place was a prison or a work-release job.
Many associates were trash (I hate to use that term loosely, but it's true). Associates would end up in fist fights like in high school or prison.

The company does mass interviews (as many companies in retail that is are doing) and many candidates came dressed sloppy, with backpacks, untucked and wrinkled shirts, baggy jeans --- In essence, like bums.

LP managers played favorites and misled instructions, as if they were setting their associates to fail. Only super-intelligent people understood what they expected.

It felt close to being in a communist state with no air to breathe. I could go on, but that would turn into a book (possibly a New York Times best-selling novel).

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat workers with dignity and respect. Quit being highly suspicious. Hire associates with some dignity and pride for themselves and not any type of scum on the earth.

Very Stressful but Great for a High School Student, but not a College Student

ProsConsistent hours, lots of activity, welcoming HR office, Great co-workers

ConsMinimum wage, 10 cent raise is all you will get, union dues took almost my entire check, tourist destroys everything, the dress code (All black), no room for growth (once you have a position you cannot change it)

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more than minimum wage, we work very hard to keep the store looking decent and I would say that the benefits you said we would get should actually be given to us.

fine

Sales Cashier (Former Employee)

I worked at Century 21 Department Stores part-time for less than a year

Prosfast paced experience environment and a set schedule to have unless you need to switch

Conshard to change your schedule because they assign slotted schedules as opposed to changing your actual schedule

Loss PREVENTION is terrible

Floor Sales (Shoes) (Current Employee)
Morristown, NJ

ProsManager was great.
Work was pretty easy to pick up.

ConsPay was really low.
Couldn't afford to travel back and forth on 8 an hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to not lay off a great employee for a minor issue that could have been resolved another way.

Could be worse

Loss Prevention (Current Employee)
New York, NY

ProsI've worked in several retail before. This isn't the best or worst

set schedule and hours
some coworkers are decent..some
Training was very detailed and thorough
good job for students

Conswork you like a slave
low pay
LP department is full of gossip
You feel as if you are overqualified to be working in a position that offers you little pay and you have to go through hell and back just to apply to anything higher
Takes years to advance within the company even if you are qualified
Did I say that the LP was full of gossip already? okay
It is very easy to get fired

Advice to Senior ManagementNot everyone is going to get a "case." Some just want their paycheck and that's it. Stop treating people as if it is a cattle call

Perfect for a Summer Job

I worked at Century 21 Department Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsIf you are a student looking for a summer job this is the perfect place to work. I worked part time and I was able to work two jobs at the same time.

A decent discount
A WEEKLY PAYCHECK AND PAID TRAINING

ConsThey will work you to death!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more considerate to employees and find ways to acknowledge workers when they are doing well.

Worked for Century 21 Department Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Century 21 Department Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Century 21 Department Stores CEO Raymond Gindi. All 136 reviews posted anonymously by Century 21 Department Stores employees.