CenturyLink Reviews

Reset
2.5
CenturyLink President & CEO Glen F. Post, III
Glen F. Post, III

Pros
  • The work-life balance is very easy to manage (in 80 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits are great (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems to believe authoritarianism is equivalent to leadership (in 42 reviews)

• No Career advancement unless you want to move to Monroe LA even then it is unlikey (in 26 reviews)

1. I was hoping to retire there

Former Employee - Service Delivery Coordinator in Apopka, FL
    Former Employee - Service Delivery Coordinator in Apopka, FL

I worked at CenturyLink full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, excellent benefits.

Cons

System limitations, uncertain future due to company's change of direction from communications to data provider. This has led to significant investment...and unfortunately that cost has been primarily defrayed by terminating good people like myself.

2. I never been so unappreciated at a job before.Sad to say centurylink call center jobs are a revolving door.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Apopka, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Apopka, FL

I worked at CenturyLink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work their honestly is for the money . It's so temporary I've been with the company for 10 months already it's very hard to meet your quota because you have to worry about others stealing your sales, system issues so your order never completed its so much you have to worry about even the techs that go out to install services talk the customer out of buying services how bad is that?

Cons

A challenge from working at centurylink is being able to stand your ground. What I mean by that is like I said before you will have people steal your sale all the time or if they don't take an deposit for from their customers and the customer calls back and you take it then whatever they sold then it's yours. Well the agents there are very unprofessional and threatening. They will threaten you , curse at you and bully you if they didn't do their job & the customer calls back and you have to do it.

Advice to Management

Stop firing agents because they didn't meet their sales goals . Majority of all the agents that meet their sales quota customer service is in the negatives . Their First call resolution is in the negatives and willing to recommend Centurylink is low. The ones that are more of a customer service agent and get written up because they are 4% away from their quota but their first call resolution is always 100% and willing to recommend is 100% these are the people you need working for your company because clearly they are the ones that the customers love and they care about the customers.

3. Company Review

Current Employee - Corporate Staff in Apopka, FL
    Current Employee - Corporate Staff in Apopka, FL

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Works to grow with new technology

Cons

Career growth for staff only in Monroe, LA

Commercial Account Manager - Apopka, FL

Former Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Apopka, FL
    Former Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Apopka, FL

I worked at CenturyLink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free trip to Denver.
    Monday - Friday schedule.
    A slap in the face to make you see what you're doing with your life.

Cons

This company has no identity with the combination of Centurytel, Embarq, and Qwest. They still operate on three different billing systems, that don't communicate with one another. They flew me to Denver, CO for two weeks for their Sales Artists training. What a complete joke! No one in management has any clue as to what the job expectations are. It can take up to six months to receive commission for the sales you make. The account base they assign you has been raided by all of the other reps in the building before you came in because they're all desperate for a sale, which means your account base has already been beat up and ripped apart. I should have known better by how frequent this job is posted on indeed that this place is a revolving door! They can't hold onto any of the talent they recruit because of the poor job management and up do.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Smh.

Excellent until they had a large workforce reduction and sent our jobs overseas.

Former Employee - Business Care in Apopka, FL
    Former Employee - Business Care in Apopka, FL

I worked at CenturyLink full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I liked working with the local management and my co-workers. There was a sense of family in OUR center.

Cons

They do not seem to appreciate the value of employees knowledge and work experience.

Impossible Metrics

Former Employee - Customer Account Manager II in Apopka, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Account Manager II in Apopka, FL

I worked at CenturyLink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company if you are not in business sales, but these are held by" old timers" who are not going anywhere
    Decent Benefits
    Flexible Work Schedule

Cons

You will spend more time redirecting unhappy customers to the correct department, answering emails and going to meetings than making sales. If you do get a customer that wants to increase their bill (most want to talk to you only if you can decrease it) good luck navigating the many software platforms that do not flow into each other. They do have "Trainers" that are also overworked so good luck getting one to help you before your customer gets tired of waiting and goes with another company that gives better and more economical (and there are many telecom companies out there who do) service! If you do not get "lucky" to get an inbound call and sell the customer a product that is available (availability is another issue) to them you are on borrowed time. No meet quotas: No have job! You also have to wait months for your commissions, if you even get them. Most people just give up fighting for them.

Advice to Management

Management are report runners only. Some sales "Team Managers" have no idea of what your job entails and don't care. Oh, they care if you are not selling because the are making hefty commissions off your back.

8. Moving on up!

Current Employee - CAM in Apopka, FL
    Current Employee - CAM in Apopka, FL

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of room to move to new positions.

Cons

Lots of systems to learn and to many products

Advice to Management

Stream line compensation

Overall, Good experience

Former Employee - Small Business Coach in Apopka, FL
    Former Employee - Small Business Coach in Apopka, FL

I worked at CenturyLink full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance, Pay, Benefits

Cons

More Synergy needed within different departments

Advice to Management

No Advise

So far, just okay...

Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Apopka, FL
    Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Apopka, FL

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been here under a year now and I can't quite gauge how I feel about the company just yet. I will say though sales training was awesome. Got to go to Denver for two weeks, it was cold but it was still a great city to see. Went through a very thorough sales training with a company called "Sales Artist". The training is probably the most practical of any sales training i've had up to this point in my career. However, people are still people and the little tricks they suggest work….just not all the time. The office culture is GREAT. I love the people I work with my managers aren't pushy. You have the ability to make your own schedule really. You set up your appoints as you see fit. As long as you're making numbers and hitting metrics they won't say a thing to you. Thats the kind of environment I like. Not that micromanage 8-5 BS.

Cons

The systems. Horrible. I learn a new system or get introduced to a new site it seems like every other day. No one really in the office is proficient at them all. One guy is an expert on this one, another guy is an expert on that, and so on. They have "SIMS" Sales Implementation Management Specialist that float around. Well there's only one in my office. But it's a headache trying to set up a meeting with them. I find myself just asking multiple people until I find the right answers. Then I gotta go back and fact check those answers, lol. It's a really pain for a person like me who likes to be in control of what I'm doing as opposed to guessing all day long. The systems are the WORST of any company I've worked for. And it's not even the actual system that are the issue, its just the amount and the lack of collective knowledge surrounding them all. Makes a day for a new that much tougher.

Advice to Management

I'm sure it's been said before, but we have cellphones that you can make a call, send a text, take a pic, surf the web, find directions, set an appointment, and ask a question all using one simple interface. Has that technology not made it to Big Telco? It's time. Dump some money in your technology department and compile all these programs down to about two or three. Give us a chance to succeed early.

11. Was great when it was Embarq.

Current Employee - Customer Account Manager II in Apopka, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Account Manager II in Apopka, FL

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not much. Benefits are just ok.

Cons

Very little training. If you do not know telecom you are set up for failure from the beginning. Micro Management to the fullest. Goals are unrealistic and the accounts that you have to maintain do not bill enough for enterprise products that they expect you to sell. These customer are small biz and are lucky their doors are open.

Advice to Management

Let your people work and stop making them come to work each day in fear of their job.

Showing 17 of 1,168 reviews