CenturyLink Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
2.9

CenturyLink President & CEO Glen F. Post, III
Glen F. Post, III

Pros
  • Good work life balance, reasonable managers at the local level, good people to work with (in 57 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits, generally steady outlook for employment (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Lay offs, can't get information out of upper management on anything important (in 34 reviews)

• No Career advancement unless you want to move to Monroe LA even then it is unlikey (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Career Possibilities

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time

Pros

CenturyLink has many job opportunities and career paths. If you are self determined, you can have great variety in your career.

Cons

Parts of the company and the senior leadership are stuck in an old school mentality regarding work and life balance. They are a high tech company bringing virtual work environments to our customers, but not our employees.

Not bad place to work

I worked at CenturyLink

Pros

leadership and commission and managers that try and help

Cons

long hours and not a lot of opps. to move up, paying for parking

Company continues to restructure

I worked at CenturyLink full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefit package including 401K
    Talented co-workers

Cons

Lack of autonomy to complete work without micro-managing

Which company do you work for?

Former Employee - Analyst in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Analyst in Overland Park, KS

I worked at CenturyLink full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Despite recent reductions in employee benefits due to the overall expense climate for all businesses, they still offer good value in benefits.
    There are segments of the company where employees are empowered and given flexibility, and as a result are satisfied employees.
    The company is working to move into new technologies to keep it a relevant communications company. Employees in the right areas have the opportunity to learn this new technology as the company grows and changes.

Cons

While there are segments of the company in which employees are empowered and valued, there is an immense amount of control executed in others that is negative. Exempt employees expected to work extended or "off" hours are not compensated for that in many segments of the organization, but treated like hourly employees. They are being micromanaged when they are dedicated professionals. Morale is very low in these business units. However, there are segments of the business with great flexibility and empowerment where employees feel valued and enjoy their job.

There is an issue with "silos" due to the control from higher level management. The culture does not encourage looking across the business and evaluating projects/processes/impacts end to end which leads to unexpected issues.

Another issue is that those lucky enough to get involved at the start with a "strategic" product have opportunities and training while those in the traditional lines of business are not given cross training/support.

There is little opportunity for advancement unless the employee is willing to move to Monroe, LA.

Valued, empowered employees are a much better resource than those heavily controlled over every decision and dollar. That makes processes run more slowly and less efficiently and discourages ownership thinking.

Interesting work, but lots of turnover

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work is interesting. CTL looks to use the latest technology and methodologies. It is a very flexible, family-oriented culture. Benefits are above average, not great.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover, mostly due to uncertainty in long-term plans. People keep jumping ship.

Find a long term plan, and stick with it.

Ok to work for

I have been working at CenturyLink

Pros

Up and coming technology strategy.

Cons

Monroe is the center of the company.

Good place to work, but the Gardner location feels a bit "left out in the cold" now that Monroe, LA is the headquarters.

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Gardner, KS
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Gardner, KS

I have been working at CenturyLink as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Management has a hands off approach which is refreshing. They believe in their engineer's abilities, therefore micro managing is not necessary.

Cons

They do not hire the contractors; some have been here for 5+ years...WOW!!

A system should be put in place that allows new hires to receive more effective cross training. Team members had no desire to show me the ropes and management did not do any follow up to confirm whether or not I was up to speed. I had to learn almost everything on my own, which took months. Had there been a dedicated process in place, I could have been up and running within two weeks.

Easy job

Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at CenturyLink full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can do whatever you want. Good commission pay.

Cons

Bad hourly. High sales goals.

Lead Tech Support Eng

Current Employee - Lead Tech Support Eng in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Lead Tech Support Eng in Littleton, CO

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good steady work in most cases and frendly employes that care about customers

Cons

small town executives still running like non regulated and not thinking were big time player now and regulated

The trials and tribulations have made me grow as a person and a technician.

Current Employee - Plant Technician
    Current Employee - Plant Technician

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is good. Job variety is good. I work in central office(power, switch, digital carrier, DSLAM), in the field(cable splicing, rehab, drop placement, build circuits, occasionally have helped set a pole or lash cable), and at the customer premises(run inside wire, install jacks, DSL home installs, circuit equipment installs). I have had mostly good supervisors the past 7 years. I work with little to no supervision. Customers in my geographic area are great to work with/for. I get 4 weeks of vacation per year.

Cons

My first supervisor was awful but he was fired 6 months in to my time with the company. The company is raking us over the coals on benefits. I pay $219 out of every paycheck(2x month) for family medical coverage that has a $2000 deductable and $19 for family dental. That adds up to near $6000 per year taken out of my paycheck. This company loves to merge every 1 to 2 years which impacts management structure, methods and processes, and company culture every single time. It is a very unstable place to work. I am constantly trying to keep up with current processes and policies. The company does not backfill technician positions in non-qwest areas. I am in a CenturyTel/PTI area has been whittled in half in 8 years. With a skeleton crew it is difficult to take vacation when you want if at all and they have eliminated vacation carryover to the next year. No training period since I was hired. Everything has been seat of the pants/trial by fire. Being the only tech for my geographic area I am on call when not at work and that hurts family time.

More support for the non-qwest areas. Backfill technican positions. Set long term goals and vision for the company and stick to them. How about some training/school?

CenturyLink Photos