CenturyLink

CenturyLink Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

CenturyLink President & CEO Glen F. Post, III

Glen F. Post, III

Pros
  • Good work life balance, reasonable managers at the local level, good people to work with(in 47 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits package for former Qwest employees(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Lay offs, can't get information out of upper management on anything important(in 31 reviews)

• No Career advancement unless you want to move to Monroe LA even then it is unlikey(in 22 reviews)

Impossible Metrics

Customer Account Manager II (Former Employee) Apopka, FL

ProsGreat company if you are not in business sales, but these are held by" old timers" who are not going anywhere
    Decent Benefits
    Flexible Work Schedule

ConsYou will spend more time redirecting unhappy customers to the correct department, answering emails and going to meetings than making sales. If you do get a customer that wants to increase their bill (most want to talk to you only if you can decrease it) good luck navigating the many software platforms that do not flow into each other. They do have "Trainers" that are also overworked so good luck getting one to help you before your customer gets tired of waiting and goes with another company that gives better and more economical (and there are many telecom companies out there who do) service! If you do not get "lucky" to get an inbound call and sell the customer a product that is available (availability is another issue) to them you are on borrowed time. No meet quotas: No have job! You also have to wait months for your commissions, if you even get them. Most people just give up fighting for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement are report runners only. Some sales "Team Managers" have no idea of what your job entails and don't care. Oh, they care if you are not selling because the are making hefty commissions off your back.

Not a technology focused company.

Sales Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsThey will never fire you.

ConsVery stagnant and hold on to many employees that should not be employed.

Good Company

Client Response Analyst (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsCenturyLink is a good company to work for and they are somewhat laid back. Good Pay and Benefits

ConsAs they are a large Company, things can move really slow. Been tring to move to a different part of the cou8ntry. However HR still has not done anything. Thus I am looking where ever I can.

Advice to Senior ManagementBased on history here I see that advancement is really possible

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good luck moving up, even if you are most qualified you may get the new position but no more pay.

Technical Trainer (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsAutonomy. Good work-life balance when not traveling. Free tickets to most local sporting events on very short notice. Ability to telecommute in bad weather or when you have doctor/dentist appt. (manager status only)

ConsTravel was way more tahn described. 50% became 80% because of layoffs and no reduction in work load. Lack of pay for knowledge. Antiquated pay/merit system, they still believe that most senior=most pay. Even when the low senior is more qaulified the pay disparity is great.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people what they are worth if you want a quality product.

Moving on up!

CAM (Current Employee) Apopka, FL

ProsLots of room to move to new positions.

ConsLots of systems to learn and to many products

Advice to Senior ManagementStream line compensation

Was a great job when it was US West and Qwest but became more stressful as CenturyLink downsized.

Dispatcher (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsWage (in union supported areas) and benefits

ConsMore work than a person can handle and still be proficient

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from other businesses that make employees a higher priority

Still in flux. The future is bright on the technology (hosting/cloud) side, but Senior Management is lacking.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsPassionate, hardworking employees
    Highly intelligent developers and engineers
    Poised to excel in the hosting and cloud industries
    Freedom to drive and manage projects
    Ability to telecommute

ConsManaged by out of touch leaders in the Duck Dynasty backwaters of Monroe, LA.
    Overly complicated "affiliate" process to do any work between Centurylink/Qwest and Centurylink Tech. Solutions divisions. "One Company" is a joke.
    Better bring your own coffee to work. They removed that Q2 2014.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize your high margin days are over. You do need to readjust. Running skeleton crews on managed services is not a way to adjust. Customers want error free and timely services. Employing minimal employees to keep a service/site running only invites errors. There is a an extreme disparity between head count on the mostly automated network side versus the more customer facing managed hosting services side.

A good place to start my career.

SAP Applications Development (Current Employee) Monroe, LA

ProsI'm only a ten week intern; let me start with that. They were flexible with my hours, as I had two jobs at the time and they worked with me. The work enviornoment is relatively quiet and distratciton free.

ConsThe pay was hardly competitive; somewhat on the low end for other internships in my field. They sort of "set me loose" and told me to go to my research and figure out how to develop programs. I had resourses to use, but was frustrated I was left out to dry.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the interns have more of a say in the area they'll be working. The past two internships I've had have been in areas where I feel I don't belong.

Opportunity for those who are willing to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Pay can be very good if you are good at taking care of the Customer. Good schedules and the benefits are better then average.

ConsPromotions can be rare so be prepared when an opportunity arises. You need to EARN your place in Management. When you do it will be well worth it.

Trying to grow too fast

ProsGreat work enviroment. Direct managers are great and helpful.

ConsAfter 3 mergers, still not in sync as one company. 3 different processes for services. Internal promotion is not attractive because salary increase is terrible compared to outside people coming in. Upper management are disconnected.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those who are customer facing. Take their ideas seriously

Worked for CenturyLink? Contribute to the Community!