CenturyLink

CenturyLink Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

CenturyLink President & CEO Glen F. Post, III

Glen F. Post, III

Pros
  • Good work life balance, reasonable managers at the local level, good people to work with (in 50 reviews)

• Decent pay and benefits package for former Qwest employees (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Lay offs, can't get information out of upper management on anything important (in 32 reviews)

• No Career advancement unless you want to move to Monroe LA even then it is unlikey (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

CTL

ProsCTL offers flexible work schedule

ConsCTL could pay more and have better benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementCTL

exciting and I learned so much

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat bene's and time off policies

Conswork-life bene's and time off policies

Excellent until they had a large workforce reduction and sent our jobs overseas.

Business Care (Former Employee) Apopka, FL

ProsI liked working with the local management and my co-workers. There was a sense of family in OUR center.

ConsThey do not seem to appreciate the value of employees knowledge and work experience.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Impossible Metrics

Customer Account Manager II (Former Employee) Apopka, FL

ProsGreat company if you are not in business sales, but these are held by" old timers" who are not going anywhere
    Decent Benefits
    Flexible Work Schedule

ConsYou will spend more time redirecting unhappy customers to the correct department, answering emails and going to meetings than making sales. If you do get a customer that wants to increase their bill (most want to talk to you only if you can decrease it) good luck navigating the many software platforms that do not flow into each other. They do have "Trainers" that are also overworked so good luck getting one to help you before your customer gets tired of waiting and goes with another company that gives better and more economical (and there are many telecom companies out there who do) service! If you do not get "lucky" to get an inbound call and sell the customer a product that is available (availability is another issue) to them you are on borrowed time. No meet quotas: No have job! You also have to wait months for your commissions, if you even get them. Most people just give up fighting for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement are report runners only. Some sales "Team Managers" have no idea of what your job entails and don't care. Oh, they care if you are not selling because the are making hefty commissions off your back.

Not a technology focused company.

Sales Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsThey will never fire you.

ConsVery stagnant and hold on to many employees that should not be employed.

Good Company

Client Response Analyst (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsCenturyLink is a good company to work for and they are somewhat laid back. Good Pay and Benefits

ConsAs they are a large Company, things can move really slow. Been tring to move to a different part of the cou8ntry. However HR still has not done anything. Thus I am looking where ever I can.

Advice to Senior ManagementBased on history here I see that advancement is really possible

Tough getting a long tenure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Pay, Enjoyable co-workers. Great availability of educational resources.

ConsHard to build tenure with layoffs passed around so freely. HR decisions are made as if by dictatorship without regard to the managers, recommendations.

CenturyLink

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible work-life balance is excellent, product set is excellent, training very useful

ConsCulture is now a "win" at any cost, benefits are being reduced

Good luck moving up, even if you are most qualified you may get the new position but no more pay.

Technical Trainer (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsAutonomy. Good work-life balance when not traveling. Free tickets to most local sporting events on very short notice. Ability to telecommute in bad weather or when you have doctor/dentist appt. (manager status only)

ConsTravel was way more tahn described. 50% became 80% because of layoffs and no reduction in work load. Lack of pay for knowledge. Antiquated pay/merit system, they still believe that most senior=most pay. Even when the low senior is more qaulified the pay disparity is great.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people what they are worth if you want a quality product.

Was a great job when it was US West and Qwest but became more stressful as CenturyLink downsized.

Dispatcher (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsWage (in union supported areas) and benefits

ConsMore work than a person can handle and still be proficient

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from other businesses that make employees a higher priority

Worked for CenturyLink? Contribute to the Community!