CenturyLink Reviews

2.9
1,064 Reviews
CenturyLink President & CEO Glen F. Post, III
Glen F. Post, III

Pros
  • Work life balance is good, because there is no work and free cab if you are in shift (in 80 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits and a general level of professionalism (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Lay offs, can't get information out of upper management on anything important (in 42 reviews)

• Eliminated many talented Qwest management in favor of the Monroe LA based click (in 26 reviews)

1. Tough to Transition

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fellow employees and management are good

Cons

Compensation and working environment poor and cheap. Benefits and comp are continuing to be cut by a company trying to transform itself

2. Hit Quota or Else!

Former Employee - Acquisition Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Acquisition Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at CenturyLink

Pros

Supportive team, great products, great brand name recognition

Cons

Stressful, a bit of a revolving door, commissions not paid timely for bigger deals

Advice to Management

Micro-Management works for some but the stress leads to high turnover

3. Global account manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Product set, cloud, assets owned

Cons

Pay, bureaucracy, no local career opptys

Advice to Management

Understand who we are and why large businesses buy from us: we should be and act smaller and more nimble than our cloud and telco brethren.

5. service delivery coordinator, provided network and telecommunication services via, call center, email, telephone calls

Former Employee - Service Delivery Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Service Delivery Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at CenturyLink

Pros

great benefits and salary as well as great location

Cons

too much micromanagement and not enough internal communications with management and subordinates to find a workable solution to that benefits customers.

Advice to Management

Allow your subordinates freedom to work without micro managing. Most employees know what is needed to meet customer demands and provide excellent service as they know that is what is needed to generate revenue and customer loyalty.

6. You don't quit a company you quit your Manager

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay's well initially, good health benefits and other minor discounts. Some exceptionally gifted individuals within this company.

Cons

Company trying to redefine itself but going through reorganization pain and suffering. Company's loose sight of the pain their employees go through when the reorganize and Merge with other companies. Old management leaves providing opportunity for unqualified people to rise in the company without proper skill sets. Some very smart people don't know how to manage people. For as hard as people work time off is hard to come by. Minimal Holidays at best. Not a fun place to work, lack of team spirit. Management does not defend the employees from being asked to do more work every year. Management seems to want to land grab for their own careers as changes happen without regard for their employees..

Advice to Management

You need to have a well communicated and thought out plan for your companies growth that takes into account the employees. A company is only as good as their employees and those that manage them.

7. Great Company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time

Pros

Great company to work for and good hours

Cons

Some management team selected due to connections with other employe , Some hired because of connections.

8. Project Manager

Current Contractor - Project Manager IT, CS in Monroe, LA
    Current Contractor - Project Manager IT, CS in Monroe, LA

I have been working at CenturyLink as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

If you like to work in the small town of Monroe, LA which has lost its roots in good food and community, this is a perfect move for you.

My co-workers were really awesome people, and the folks that are from outside Monroe are even better to work with.

Cons

Nepotism. Small minded leaders, NON Leaders.

Advice to Management

Make a stronger effort to develop your communications skills and your subordinate leader's communication skills. People in the IT are AFRAID to tell the truth... bad mojo.

9. service delivery

I worked at CenturyLink full-time

Pros

Company had good benefits package, including pension, medical/dental/vision. Varied hours which allowed flexibility in work schedule. Good pay

Cons

Doing some down sizing and wage reductions

10. run forrest run!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time

Pros

hard to say. we have the ability to drum up our own business at times which proved to be a plus.

Cons

micro managing. My manager abdicates much of her authority to handpicked persons who openly disparages other employees. her boss uses "skip level" meetings as an opportunity to point out people who dont like her

Advice to Management

get it together! very disappointed. i can not wait to find something better. you all are a shame to sales organizations all over.

11. Centurylink could've should've wouldve

Current Employee - Sales and Care Associate (Call Center) Inbound in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Could've been a better sales experience
    Should've learned more from the companies computer sales systems but why is your internet so slow!? You're the Internet company come on man!
    Would've enjoyed selling but left them behind got to move on. Great company if you like big corporations to play office at.

Cons

Employee sales ordering software sucks from the Stone Age like there HSI wait seemed more like dial up. Good people leave a lot of good people stay to play office. They need to update call options on telephone menu so customers get to right spot. Be quite and invisible don't be a target, receive but don't take.

Advice to Management

Managers, I thought they were coaches, coaches I thought they were recruiters, recruiters I thought they were HR, HR is the union.

CenturyLink Photos