CenturyLink Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
2.9

CenturyLink President & CEO Glen F. Post, III
Glen F. Post, III

Pros
  • Good work life balance, reasonable managers at the local level, good people to work with (in 57 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits, generally steady outlook for employment (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Lay offs, can't get information out of upper management on anything important (in 34 reviews)

• No Career advancement unless you want to move to Monroe LA even then it is unlikey (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Oracle Apps Consultant

I have been working at CenturyLink

Pros

Good Work Environment and staff.

Cons

Salary seemed too low for job duties

Centurylink is an ok company to work for.

Current Employee - Collections Representative in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Collections Representative in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Centurylink is somewhat family oriented

Cons

no room for advancement at the company

management was wonderful at times.

Lies and misdirection

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Monroe, LA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Monroe, LA

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have a hard time finding many Pros other than the work being relatively easy and working with peers who are fantastic people. Expectations are kept to a minimum and it is easy to just coast along.

Cons

The leadership will lie directly to your face. Supervisors are lazy. Input is not taken well. Career advancement is prioritized to those who "peacock" the little they do or the "good ole boy" mentality that is so prevalent, while those busy working are hindered.

Train your leadership better. Teach them how to properly manage people and follow your "Core Values" that are so highly stressed but RARELY practiced company wide. Reward employees who have worked hard for years with career advancement.

The Seattle Office is a Sinking Ship

Former Employee - Service Delivery Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at CenturyLink full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay & good benefits

Cons

Many of the sales people that serve business customers don't understand basic telephony and only care about meeting sales objectives. Most of the upper management team is completely ignorant of telephony, FCC regulations and company processes.

Most of the managers there would flunk a basic telephony test. Become fluent in the industry, or quit working there.

No one works at the corporate office

Former Employee - IT Intern in Monroe, LA
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Monroe, LA

I worked at CenturyLink as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

General easy job if you enjoy socializing and walking around the building all day. Everyone is friendly, even if many of those people will throw you under a bus for no reason at all.

Cons

No one works at the corporate Monroe office. You can walk around the building and see half the employees on facebook or youtube. The other half are either talking about non-work things or walking around the lobby all day. The entire work force is just complacent, with no desire to actively better their skill sets. I've come to believe that the company relies on contractors and off-site employees to get work done, as no work seems to be done at the office.

On an IT level, the company has made its growth over the last few years by purchasing other companies, not by any of its own advancements. Most "development" that happens in the company is simply integration of technologies into their own systems. Hardly exciting.

Be more active and enthusiastic about the work we're doing. Don't act simply like you show up to work to get a paycheck and leave at 4 pm while the rest of your team stays till 5.

Seattle Service Delivery Coordinator job = No value to company!

Former Employee - Service Delivery Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at CenturyLink full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and great co-workers and great manager!

Cons

Heavy work load and short staffed which set us up for failure and then moved the job to another state.

Sometimes paying people less to do more is not a good business plan.

Good pay but tense work environment and non-participatory management style.

Former Employee - Clerical in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Clerical in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at CenturyLink full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits and a general level of professionalism.

Cons

Top down and management by threat. It does not dawn on them to invite participation in decision making. Very unrewarding and it kills morale and motivation. I came from a more participative management company and had trouble adapting. I tried to promote a better work environment and the long time employers had no clue what I was talking about.

Go back and look at the participative management/quality management theme and take another shot at it. Eliminate fear and threat from the workplace and welcome a new work environment.

My onboarding experience was the worst I have ever had, given I came in during a lot of attrition

I have been working at CenturyLink

Pros

Great people, large portfolio of products, solution engineers want to do well. Good track record under the SAVVIS brand.

Cons

No leadership, management is clueless, zero sales culture...very process heavy, currently folding in CenturyLink legacy sales team, issues with commission payment. Many unknowns with future.

Stop the massive attrition and turnover by creating stability and offering transparency

"customer service"

I worked at CenturyLink

Pros

Pay not too bad, could definitely be better.. Shifts change, hours are bad.. Little to no support from support from management.

Cons

Sell, sell, sell. Must make quotas. always monitoring your calls. Will write you up if you don't attempt to sell an upgrade to a customer, even if customer has stated they're looking to lessen their bill.

Try being more upbeat and understanding of having to listen to complaints. Upgrade internet service, it's too slow to be competitive.

Great people but no room to grow

Current Employee - Analyst II in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Analyst II in Denver, CO

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people that work here are great! Great teamwork and able to work from home.

Cons

No room to grow unless you move to Monroe even with education and experience. When the baby boomers all retire, there will a lot of chaos. Young talents are leaving because we keep getting more work with very little raises and no promotion. I don't mind working 10 hours if I get rewarded for it.

Train your young talents to fill in the baby bloomers role.

CenturyLink Photos