CenturyLink

Time of Change

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Detroit, MI

I worked at CenturyLink

Pros

Work-life (work from home). Excellent team members - most will answer questions if you ask.

Cons

Change. Change of sales territories, chasing monthly sales every month, extreme pressure to hit numbers every month without regard to customer base and company abilities to deliver services.

See cons...

Great work life balance

I have been working at CenturyLink

Pros

work life balance flexibility great

Cons

red tape, too many layers of mid mgt

Company sinking fast

Current Employee - Engineer in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Engineer in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time

Pros

Insurance and the Wellness Program

Cons

This was once a great company. It sprung a leak when it purchased Embark. That leak became a geyser after purchasing Qwest. Moving Qwest leaders into management positions in non-legacy Qwest areas. It's like giving the Queen Mary over to the crew of the Titanic. Moral is low. Retirement will not come quick enough. Upper management focusing too much on the larger cities. Rural offices are floundering.

Get your blinders off and make some calls to your legacy people; not Qwest transplants. Stop staring at your balance sheet!

glad to be out

Current Employee - Net Tech in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Net Tech in Rochester, MN

I have been working at CenturyLink

Pros

fair benifits are good until next contact

Cons

work outside , then back insideall summer and winter, in great home along with the dumds

be better to their people

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

Current Employee - Lead Software Developer in Monroe, LA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Developer in Monroe, LA

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible hours, discount programs for company services as well as other retailers and service offerings, volunteer opportunities, decent salary.

Cons

Benefits keep declining, 7-day work week pretty much the norm, insane amount of hours required, unrealistic expectations, a feeling that employees are "cogs in the wheel" that can be replaced and are just a cost to the corporation, culture of blame, too much emphasis on metrics and root causes rather than determining solutions, removed work from home program, removed merit increases while making strategic purchases and what appears to be lavish product launches, sick and vacation time is one bucket and difficult to manage, no real growth opportunities, no room for creativity.

Treat people like people and as professional workers, especially your IT department. Stop making statements regarding the "cost of employees" it does not promote a positive work environment. Follow how other companies treat sick days - when you are sick, you are sick, and it is a paid day off - then you do not have employees working while sick and bringing illness into the office. Bring back work from home! People are often more productive and feel appreciated and trusted!

No opportunity employment

I worked at CenturyLink

Pros

The company does provide some decent benefits to employees and coworkers are usually excellent people.

Cons

Little to no room to promote within, unforgiving attendance policy that does not take natural occurances (heavy snow, weather related)

Really good company to work for

Former Employee - NOC Tech in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - NOC Tech in Winter Park, FL

I worked at CenturyLink full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay scale, management culture is fairminded and results oriented.
    I worked with Sprint and Embarq before the merger and although CenturyLink was a step down - in terms of less schedule flexibility, less generous shift differentials, 401k less generous, vavcations, holidays, raises, etc etc, still it was pretty darn good.

Cons

I was an operator, clerk and service rep. These jobs take a lot of listening skills, patience, and problem solving. There was usually sales pressure in the background which quite honestly I can do without to say the least! I bet every dime they make from forcing stuff on.people they don't want, they have to give back a buck or more.IMHO!
    I also worked voice NOC and data NOC. These were wonderful jobs requiring alertness and study to keep up with tech developments. Under Sprint we got paid vendor training and travel but under Embarq and CenturyLink the bean counters cut that and probably gave it to the CEO as a bonus, or simply lost it on the nextel fiasco!

Stop with the frocking mergers and reorgs already, build the network, and serve the public!

They were good to me.

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Boise, ID

I worked at CenturyLink full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay ended up being pretty good. They really lowballed me when I started but I had a good Manager that was able to make things right. I made more there than I ever expected I would.

Cons

I left because the constant pressure to hit numbers finally became too much. It didn't matter what you had done last month or last year, there was never any relief. The comp plan changed every year, one always had to do more just to make the same amount as last year. Every year the cost of benefits increased. When the company ended the Employee Stock Purchase Plan in July 2014 the writing was clearly on the wall that things weren't going to change direction and I started listening to the other offers that were out there and I left in August.

Pick a comp plan and stick to it. Yearly tweaks are OK but wholesale changes are just too much.

CenturyLink is a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Video Repair Tech in Monroe, LA
    Current Employee - Video Repair Tech in Monroe, LA

I have been working at CenturyLink

Pros

CenturyLink values employees and their families. Coworkers become family.

Cons

nothing worth mentioning on a con

Excellent co workers, great environment.

Current Employee - Retention Specialist in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Retention Specialist in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People you work with are great. Great benefits.

Cons

Everything that you do is micromanaged.

CenturyLink Photos