CenturyLink

Updated January 31, 2015
2.9

CenturyLink President & CEO Glen F. Post, III
Glen F. Post, III

Pros
  • Work life balance is good, because there is no work and free cab if you are in shift (in 80 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits and a general level of professionalism (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Lay offs, can't get information out of upper management on anything important (in 42 reviews)

• Eliminated many talented Qwest management in favor of the Monroe LA based click (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

If you are looking for a place to be complacent and settle, this is your employer!!!

Former Employee - Senior Lead Project Manager, IT in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Lead Project Manager, IT in Denver, CO

I worked at CenturyLink full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Life at CTL is fairly predictable. Things do not move very quickly so it is possible to settle into a routine, which can be very comforting for some. Pay in my role was fairly average to above average and the company is good about paying bonuses annually. If you like having heavy process to follow then CTL IT is something you should look into.

Cons

Executive management within IT has no interest in feedback from their workers. The company is focused on making all of IT CMMI 3 compliant yet none of the major domestic competitors do this. It is a drain on productivity and producing results for the business and this also brings down moral. The company is making a play, in certain portions of their IT portfolio, at agility, yet it is an insincere effort and is not reaping the benefits that could be gained from scaling more broadly across the enterprise. The company rewards based on following the process and not on producing working software for the business partners. Intellectually and monetarily the company understands that traditional phone lines are a waning product and they have to move to new technology and do it quickly, however, in practice, they are not getting it done.

Embrace Agility! Specifically within IT, focus on becoming a Lean enterprise and embrace agile practices. The heavy matrix with lots of process and a focus on CMMI is not working. The context switching alone that your key resources have to endure is costing you millions of dollars in waste per year. If you want to keep CMMI, then at least do a true business case on what it is really costing you, tracking it in your PPM tool. Once you have the facts, make a decision on whether to keep it or not. What you will find will be quite interesting. Lastly, if you want to see the business approval numbers of IT go up, take the painful step of doing and enterprise agile transformation and speed up your time to market. Give up on the spoken and unspoken drive to move people to Monroe, LA. You will not be able to maintain the needed amount of technical skill with this approach. Instead, set up technology centers in Kansas City, Denver, and Seattle and embrace the distribution of talent across these rich markets.

Good company and position

Current Employee - Pricing and Offer Management in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Pricing and Offer Management in Denver, CO

I have been working at CenturyLink

Pros

Secure company, established processes, people complain about change but there really isn't much you have to worry about in white-collar roles - occasional re-orgs at the top but among the rest of us things are pretty stable.

Cons

Can get a bit boring, big bureaucracy, not thrilled about the slight changes following the merger with CenturyTel (I came from the Qwest side).

None.

Fiercely loyal to this company; gained invaluable experience

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, solid culture, stable employer

Cons

Underdeveloped marketing/communication strategies; issues with transition through acquisitions; lacks forward progression; tends to follow their competition rather than forge the path; struggles with lower-level employee retention.

Market value through long-term bundling strategy that allows for consistent pricing, upgrades and changes; not discounted nor contracted; while offering new customer and loyalty one-time bill credits to create and maintain a company image of connection and goodwill with their customers; take the lead from cell phone company pricing - plans are not discounted and can be changed or upgraded anytime, regardless of current product mix. Create a perception of value through "included" features and services and "waived" charges. Commit to not raising prices or changing offers without providing solid impact to demonstrate value for our customers. Simplify marketing strategy to create a loyal customer base.

Communicate fully and completely through consistent and reliably easy to reference means. Reinforce positive company culture from a top down perspective. Meet and interact with the lower level customer facing employees and show them how it's done. Engage with energy and enthusiasm and connect our employees with each other in competitive spirit and company pride.

Quality employees walk away far too often because the job they were originally hired for is not the best fit. Create opportunities to develop even the newest employees, so that we can leverage the training and experience we've provided them into a strong and loyal workforce.

Lots of learning opportunities

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and lots of learning opportunities,

Cons

Being on call and having employees that report to you on all shifts in a 24/7 environment

Teach managers to lead and grow their Supervisors.

Global Account Manager

Current Employee - Global Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Global Account Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Huge portfolio and it's a job that's about it and I'm not just writing a bitter review. This place will take the wind out of your sails. I promise.

Cons

Horrible mid level mgmt whom doesn't have a clue. Lack of system integration/back office paralyses. Just changed my title and lowered my salary without reason. And zero executive sponsorship if you bring a large deal to the table. Honestly avoid company unless you are desperate for a job. Total crusty old school telecom boring culture.

Consolidate systems, hire better mgmt, don't mess with sales and their money. Principles...you need to follow them too.

If Process Were A Deity CenturyLink Would Be Its Temple

Former Employee - Senior Acquisitions Sales Executive in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Acquisitions Sales Executive in Portland, OR

I worked at CenturyLink full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great place to get some experience. Out of the 10 people they hired in the Acquisitions department only 3 people had industry experience. They would even hire people into Lead positions making $65,000 plus in salary with zero industry experience. So this is a well compensated way to Lear the business.

Cons

The Portland branch is historically the worst performing branch in the company. There is a constant revolving door for sales professionals and management. I suggest get in, learn the business then work on finding another position. They send you to Denver for training which is very product focused and make you go through days worth of extremely boring videos and in the end you still know next to nothing because none of it explains how to process a sale. The culture in the office is very negative. The current manager prides himself on riding his team like a backpack especially if you're successful. Hopefully he will get replaced soon but if he's not you are in for a whole new meaning of micro-managing.

Get rid of toxic sales managers who don't follow the unifying principals. Find sales managers that will energize his team rather than demoralizing his team with non-sales activities.

Used me up.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Monroe, LA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Monroe, LA

I worked at CenturyLink full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gained the experience I need to get ou not oppressed Louisiana.

Cons

Constantly discrimination towards LGBT.

Learn some respect.

Old school management practices

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at CenturyLink

Pros

They have recently implemented Agile Methodology.

Cons

They have some really odd business practices like expecting contractors to be on-call for 2 weeks for production support without compensation. In addition, you'll hear about an interesting concept called "voluntary overtime", meaning they pressure contractors pretty hard to work overtime without pay.

Although they have recently implemented Agile, it's still more of a waterfall mentality with a light varnish of Agile. They also in the mindset of using outsourcing and H1B's as much as possible although that hasn't be very successful for them.

Old-school management practices don't work for software development. Get fully on-board the Agile band-wagon or get left behind.

Average telecom.

Current Employee - Braodband Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Braodband Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at CenturyLink full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pros they treat you like an adult and let you get your job done.

Cons

Pay is quite a bit lower than other major telcos.

Invest in the plant.

This is a great place to work and plenty of room for advancement with or without degree.

I have been working at CenturyLink

Pros

Much room for advancement, great benefits including fitness discounts, great people to work with, constantly growing.

Cons

If i had to choose a downside, they should service more larger municipalities and expand more advertisement of the company to see what it is really about.

Great company I just believe that we could expand a lot larger what what we are now.

CenturyLink Photos