Cenveo Reviews in Columbia, MD

2.2

Cenveo Chairman and CEO Robert G. Burton Sr.
Robert G. Burton Sr.

Pros
  • large corporation, fairly steady work, most immediate supervisors have good people skills (in 5 reviews)

• Before Cenveo bought Cadmus, it was a reasonable place to work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much workload, long hours, no raises for over 6 years, but pay cuts (in 6 reviews)

• There's an utter lack of communication from upper management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The career path to nowhere?

Current Employee - Copy Editor III in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Copy Editor III in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Cenveo

Pros

this reviewer works at Cadmus, a company purchased by Cenveo in 2007. At the time of the purchase, we saw major layoffs of long-term employees. We know very little about hte new parent company. Locally, Cadmus permits schedule variations of work times, including work at home. Certain departments are relatively "hands-off" on overseeing work.

Cons

some departments are definitely NOT hands-off, but are micro-managed by dept. leader. There is very little opportunity to move up on career ladder, and there is no encouragement from within the company. The parent company in Connecticut, a commercial print company, seems to have little appreciation for the kind of work we do here in Maryland (production of scholarly books and journals), and the emphasis has moved from quality of product to fastest and cheapest. Employees are treated, basically, in the same way. Pay raises average approx 1.5%, when given. No company contribution to 401K plans, and no incentive (monetary or not) to remain with Cenveo. A standing joke among employees is that one day we will be charged rent to work in our cubes....

Find out what your company in Columbia does (scholarly journals and books), recognize the hard-working people at the below management level.

Sinking ship

Former Employee - Editor in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Editor in Columbia, MD

I worked at Cenveo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Before Cenveo bought Cadmus, it was a reasonable place to work. Not perfect, but there were human beings there, and you could effect change if you tried. After Cenveo arrived, it was all downhill.

Cons

The parent company's focus is on this quarter's performance, period. There is no thought given to future needs. Salesmen will promise the world to potential customers, but capacity to do even a mediocre job is lacking, so new customers don't stay for long. Company has no new ideas and no ability to produce quality work, so they try to sell customers on how they can do it faster; unfortunately, speed makes quality go from bad to worse. Some customers don't care, but the ones who do leave. When people leave, they are seldom replaced, and work gets piled onto other people to the point that success is impossible.

The fact that there are reviews here from employees in India tells you all you need to know about this company's priorities, and even the Indian employees have little positive to say.

There have been no raises in the rank and file since 2008, but the CEO's son, who is the "president," got a $150K raise last year, according to annual report. Try to think about the company as something other than your own personal piggy bank. Managers should have some clue about how to manage.

Good people at department level. Overall management is poor, no effort to improve.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Cenveo

Pros

Independent work is encouraged. Flexible about work-at-home/work-at-site.

Cons

Company (publishing services section) is not pursuing new business. Losing contracts, losing people.

Do not apply for this job!

Former Employee - Journal Production Manager in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Journal Production Manager in Columbia, MD

I worked at Cenveo

Pros

The location is fairly good.

Cons

The are more downsides than I can shake a stick at. I was expected to know everything about the company within a week, which is not realistic. My computer crashed at least three times per week. I was screamed at daily for events that were beyond my control.

Be realistic! A person cannot know the politics of a company within a week. Drop the job shadowing technique altogether because it streses out the former employee and gives the new employee way too much information at once.

Cenveo Photos