Cepheid

Cepheid CEO and Director John L. Bishop

John L. Bishop

Production Supervisor

Production Supervisor (Current Employee) Lodi, CA

ProsI have experienced a great team environment where my opinion matters. I have a great management team and look forward to my work day.

ConsWe are adding a lot of people so just going through some growing pains. There is room for some improvement in communication between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is the best job I have had in a long time. Just continue with the training programs for management but invest in the employees also.

Poor Employment Ethics

Manufacturing Automation Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsCompany has good benefits and offers stock options, if your good at negotiating it into your offer. Company stock is growing, so very beneficial for people granted stock options.

ConsCompany probably facing an exit strategy of a possible take over. Also several court cases in Santa Clara, CA filed against company for wrongful termination. Which concurs with this review and the bad management described in critiques given below. Almost everyone in 2013 given 1%-2% bonus, thus why I left there for better opportunities elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave while its good.

Ruled by fear

Anonymous (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsNice enough co workers, decent facilities

ConsVery white male old school culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up, you're already rich

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unprofessional Sr Management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsPotential to be in a target for a take-over

ConsSenior and middle managers are at best unprofessional and not supportive.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up.

Old boys club

Middle Management (Former Employee)

Prosgood benefits
    competitive compensation for men
    good product design

Conscompany does not value women as employees

Advice to Senior Managementcare about people

Cepheid...a growing experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Pros-Benefits are 'OK' for the valley: 3 weeks off, healthcare is good and cost to employees is cheap, employee stock options are provided.

Cons-Middle mangers at the company are poorly trained. They don't know how to manage people and can be very political.
    -They don't promote / develop from within; they would rather hire someone off the street.
    -Pay less than other comparable companies.
    -People aren't very social. Everyone goes to work and then goes home. Most people have families that work here.
    -CEO is extremely cheap hence why the pay is less than comparable companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut in place training programs to train middle managers - they need it!

Cepheid is a great company with many qualified employees. Should treat temp employees better

Software Testing Technician (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsIt has great benefits and everyone there is very welcoming. Office environment with lots of room to move up.

ConsCepheid uses a lot of short term contracts for new employees. They contract out these temporary employees using a Recruiting company called Richmar Associates. These temporary contracts usually are for 6 months and though you are legally binded to the contract Cepheid has the ability to terminate the contract whenever they deem it is in their best interest without warning or notice. I was on the short end of this when I got a call from Richmar saying not to report to work the following day.

Advice to Senior Managementat the very least give a notice to temporary employees when you are about to lay them off

Field Technical Support Specialist

ProsThis is a growing company which is continously expanding and growing. There is lots of opportunity for growth.

ConsThis company is still going growing pains with more changes to come. Change is a constant factor.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing and putting the proper people in the proper place. Be open to suggestions from all employees and listen to what the customer is saying.

Bad Managements

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExciting products
    Work and life balance
    Flexible hours
    Shutdown over Christmas

ConsI worked at Cepheid for six years and was not given an opportunities to growth. No career progression at all. The management plays favorite and don't put proper people in the proper place. I was better than many MEs they have but was forced to move to a bad group that eventually led to my dismissal. The HR is incompetent and has poor review system that led managers put bogus review goals. They have weak quality system and product quality is often compromised when a product is rushed to the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not cut corner on the quality of the products. Your middle managers are horrible because they are incompetent and lack of experience. Believe it or not the grown-up at Cepheid guys are the ones who lack experience in medical device and are resistant for changes.

Ruthless leadership

Manager (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGood product. Good customer service.

ConsExecutive management leads by fear. Quick to hire and quick to fire. Promote people senior mgmt. likes even though performance is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair. Promote top performers and not just friends and individuals that fit the mold.

Worked for Cepheid? Contribute to the Community!