Cepheid

Cepheid Reviews

Updated Dec 3, 2013

Cepheid CEO and Director John L. Bishop

John L. Bishop

Cepheid is a great company with many qualified employees. Should treat temp employees better

Software Testing Technician (Former Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Cepheid as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIt has great benefits and everyone there is very welcoming. Office environment with lots of room to move up.

ConsCepheid uses a lot of short term contracts for new employees. They contract out these temporary employees using a Recruiting company called Richmar Associates. These temporary contracts usually are for 6 months and though you are legally binded to the contract Cepheid has the ability to terminate the contract whenever they deem it is in their best interest without warning or notice. I was on the short end of this when I got a call from Richmar saying not to report to work the following day.

Advice to Senior Managementat the very least give a notice to temporary employees when you are about to lay them off

Cepheid...a growing experience

I worked at Cepheid full-time

Pros-Benefits are 'OK' for the valley: 3 weeks off, healthcare is good and cost to employees is cheap, employee stock options are provided.

Cons-Middle mangers at the company are poorly trained. They don't know how to manage people and can be very political.
-They don't promote / develop from within; they would rather hire someone off the street.
-Pay less than other comparable companies.
-People aren't very social. Everyone goes to work and then goes home. Most people have families that work here.
-CEO is extremely cheap hence why the pay is less than comparable companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut in place training programs to train middle managers - they need it!

Field Technical Support Specialist

I have been working at Cepheid full-time

ProsThis is a growing company which is continously expanding and growing. There is lots of opportunity for growth.

ConsThis company is still going growing pains with more changes to come. Change is a constant factor.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing and putting the proper people in the proper place. Be open to suggestions from all employees and listen to what the customer is saying.

Bad Managements

I worked at Cepheid

ProsExciting products
Work and life balance
Flexible hours
Shutdown over Christmas

ConsI worked at Cepheid for six years and was not given an opportunities to growth. No career progression at all. The management plays favorite and don't put proper people in the proper place. I was better than many MEs they have but was forced to move to a bad group that eventually led to my dismissal. The HR is incompetent and has poor review system that led managers put bogus review goals. They have weak quality system and product quality is often compromised when a product is rushed to the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not cut corner on the quality of the products. Your middle managers are horrible because they are incompetent and lack of experience. Believe it or not the grown-up at Cepheid guys are the ones who lack experience in medical device and are resistant for changes.

Good ol boys club doesn't know how to fix or won't.

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cepheid full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExciting product offering that has huge upside growth and is the primary reason for company success. Decent culture and people, pretty good facility.

ConsUpper management refuses to realize they have a culture problem for several years now. High employee turnover caused by management playing favorites and poor review system. II saw lots of borderline issues that if known would cause major legal and policy issues for the company. HR is incompetent and uninterested in keeping good employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue, employees are watching. It will be more difficult to attract good talent to sustain the success of the product. Word on the street is getting out there despite your efforts to hush past employees!

Good product in a culture of fear and uncertainty

I worked at Cepheid full-time

ProsProduct technology is innovative, employee benefits are competitive, revenue growth has been good for a decade, sales team is strong in USA.

ConsCompany culture is dominated by fear, there are very few women in executive positions, HR decisions do not consistently support equal opportunity, information systems need major upgrades to make company profitable.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement there is not receptive to advice.

Ruthless leadership

Manager (Former Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Cepheid full-time for more than a year

ProsGood product. Good customer service.

ConsExecutive management leads by fear. Quick to hire and quick to fire. Promote people senior mgmt. likes even though performance is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair. Promote top performers and not just friends and individuals that fit the mold.

Not satisfied

I have been working at Cepheid full-time for more than 5 years

ProsProduct line is very attractive

ConsSalary and bonus are not in industry competitive range

Advice to Senior ManagementThink revising salary levels

Current Contractor/ almost 1 year.

Contractor/Peon (Current Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Cepheid as a contractor for less than a year

ProsClose commute. Gave me a job when I needed one.

ConsIn area where I work, as contractor almost 0% chance of conversion to perm. They refer to it as CIT, I call it Death Row!

Advice to Senior ManagementSee the light guys. Us peons are the bricks with which you build a truly strong competitive industry leader. Also your so called Quality Management needs cleanup, Poor sterile product/process handling! Rate at 1-10= 3

Bad management!

ProsI had a good salary

ConsHorrible management here that fires good, hardworking people due to office politics! Seen that several times. Upper management chooses to cut corners on the quality of the products.

Worked for Cepheid? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cepheid reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cepheid CEO John L. Bishop. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Cepheid employees.