Ceres

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mindy S. Lubber

Smart people, solid work

ProsCeres is full of some of the smartest, most passionate people I have ever worked with. Almost every day there is a feat in the environmental world that somehow traces back to Ceres. Senior-level management is generally good, and their benefits are great. You can tell that this an organization that takes its mission seriously and cares about its people.

ConsLike with any non-profit, salaries could be higher and management could be stronger. Lower-level employees are working above and beyond what their being paid. Some turnover, but generally people seem pretty happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay close attention to the work load of those you manage. Make sure what you're asking of them is realistic under the guidelines of their job descriptions and salaries.

Great mission, great people, some growing pains

Associate (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFantastic, smart, dedicated people
    Strong enthusiasm for the mission
    Access to dozens of in-house experts in many fields
    A chance to save the world

ConsThe organization has grown fast and management systems haven't kept pace
    Some senior staff expect junior staff to keep unrealistic hours

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress work/life balance issues or risk becoming a burnout shop
    Need to add capacity or get more focused

Top heavy and no market for product

ProsExcellent benefits. Fun in house events. Interesting industry and products if it ever takes off.

ConsThe company has been downsizing every year since 2008. Moral is low and there is a clear divide between the management and the rest of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany is too far gone to save at this point, good luck!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incredibly motivating work atmosphere

Corporate Programs Intern (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsYou see the impact of your work and there is a lot of collaboration between people within teams to accomplish progressive company goals regarding CSR and ESG analysis

Consnothing that comes to the top of my head

good intentions with management challenges

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Prosmotivated and enthusiastic staff
    good executive leadership
    well respected organization

Consovermanagement of new staff
    staff retention problems in some departments
    lots of growth and change in a short time which resulted in divide between new and old staff

Advice to Senior Managementbetter job descriptions that describe role at date of hire as opposed to a description of a role that management thinks new hires will grow into.

Powerful great organization, poor retention

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat network, excellent industry, smart president.

Conssome organizational dysfunction, overworked senior employees who set poor work/life balance example - will hurt sustainability of organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeemed to me that many rank and file employees felt unsatisfied/didn't have growth prospects, so smart people bled out of the organization. Smart leaders though.

Very positive - Ceres is a unique organization bringing together powerful levers of change for a sustainable economy.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros-Efficacy in achieving mission-related goals
    -Talent and passion of coworkers drives others to excel and work hard
    -My supervisor treats me like an adult who is trusted to do their work well and on time
    -My supervisor works to advance me personally and professionally
    -Ceres is open to entrepreneurial thinking and encourages individuals to take initiative

Cons-We have seen a tremendous amount of growth and management/management systems are still working to catch up
    -There is an opaque compensation system and I don't feel that actual contributions are prioritized over seniority
    -There is not a rigorous standard for determining impact

Good Undergrad Experience

Intern (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsAs an undergrad working part time at Ceres, you get an opportunity to see how environmental regulations play a part in businesses cost structures and economic performance.

ConsA large portion of the work I did was independant research for internal use. The feedback given on my work was positive and descriptive, but I would have liked to be more integrated into working teams.

good research.. bad management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Thousand Oaks, CA

Prosinnovative team, technically sound and very energetic research and development group.
    teams are involved less in meetings and more in devising experiments.

Constoo much politics by management. too many lay offs. management doesn't even know why they had to layoff people. pay is not good.

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement should know a little more science and should understand that science does not always agree with business and commerce.

Worked for Ceres? Contribute to the Community!