Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important)(in 17 reviews)

• Great place to start a carrier and build your resume(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all(in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours,(in 58 reviews)

Okay place to start, terrible place to finish...

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsIf you don't want to work hard, they don't seem to care (people constantly missing deadlines for 18+ months and no corrective actions taken)
    You can get some decent experience
    Flexible work hours outside of "crunch time"

ConsIf you do work hard, they don't seem to care
    It's a revolving door, more people have left the company than are currently working there
    Health insurance costs a ridiculous amount when you include the enormous deductible
    Management in some orgs will lie directly to your face to "motivate" you to work hard and meet deadlines
    They'll hire a bunch of nearly useless contractors for 3x the normal salary of a developer, the contractors will then drag the entire team down with their terrible code, and then when it comes time for a raise the developers that actually contributed to success will be left high and dry
    Compensation is a complete joke once you have 5+ years of experience
    They would rather replace talented and experienced engineers with someone that costs less money and takes 3 times as long to implement anything

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are not robots. If you want to keep talented and hard working people, you should probably consider paying them more than peanuts to work those 70 hour "crunch time" weeks. If someone can walk out the door and immediately get a 35% or higher raise at another company in an area with comparable cost of living then you're doing something wrong.

The only reason I can find that any developer stays at Cerner longer than 5 years is because they're either too lazy to look anywhere else, or no one else will hire them. The architects and future leaders of Cerner are just lazy and/or incompetent engineers (in most cases, there are rare exceptions).

Get rid of dead weight. If everything a developer does causes the rest of the team to lose time fixing it, he/she needs to go elsewhere.

Learning Consulting is the job from hell

Learning Consultant (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsCerner has a lot of good stuff to offer, like the gym and clinic and volunteer outings. Most employees in the company overall seem to be very happy. The company has a good mission and a bright future

ConsIn my department, you will NEVER be around to enjoy any of the perks because you travel 150% of the time. No one is ever satisfied with how hard you are working, and you are constantly set up to fail. Everyone I know is counting the seconds until they can leave the organization or Cerner in general

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat us like the delivery consultants. We are sick of being slaves.

Consulting Sweat shop

Systems Architect (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsYou are empowered to fix problems that you discover. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience acquisition. Very fast pasted environment.

ConsNo one in management truly respects you as a person. You are truly only a resource to the overlords. The Cerner Staffing model is one that plans for extremely high turn over, and they do not give raises based on value added.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer

ProsVisibility, opportunity to learn and make design level decisions

ConsI don't really see many cons. One thing I would say is the filtering process after recruiting. Some good ones are let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do something regarding the DevAcademy structure.

Lots of room for advancement, lots of hours

ProsPay, benefits, high achieving co-workers

ConsMany hours, sometimes unrealistic expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to keep employees that exceed expectations arond

Great career!

ProsCompensation and mission are both great.

ConsGrowth leads to a numbers game at times.

Great company to start a career!

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsGreat company for a college grad. On the job training get you ready for the work ahead. Great company moral and tons of smart people changing Healthcare.

ConsWork/Life balance can be tough at times...

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out a way to make work/life balance better.

A daily challenge!

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsWorking at Cerner can be an exhilarating experience, there is a lot to learn and to do on a daily basis which provides the challenge that makes one's work exciting.

ConsGet ready to give your all and to put aside all the other non essential activities in your life. They work you hard and are constants on your case for results.

Good people, interesting problems.

Systems Architect (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsCerner has a fun culture. The internal dev conference and things like tech talks and hack nights are great. It uses more current tech then you may think for a health care company: Django, Rails, HBase, Clojure. What you end up working on depends greatly on where you are in the company.

ConsWorking within the regulatory environment surrounding health care IT can be a bit tricky.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to always allow for sufficient time in a project timeline for fixing testing issues.

Great place to work!

ProsCerner is great place to be an employee. The whole company has a team atmosphere and leads people to feel like they belong to something bigger than themselves. There are so many more opportunities for learning and career advancement than any other place I've seen.

ConsThe culture inside of Cerner is positive and excellent but can sometimes be a difficult adjustment for someone with a long outside work history who is seeing things for the first time

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!