Cerner

Updated February 25, 2015
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 21 reviews)

• Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance for the benefit of associate wellness needs addressed from top/down (in 75 reviews)

• Long hours, some employees fresh out of college and need guidance in corporate settings (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

495 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great Benefits, Great People

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are pretty legit. Healthcare coverage, stock purchase plan, 401K match and profit sharing are all great.

Casual, laid-back environment

Lots of activities for associates to meet, mingle, make friends

If you don't travel, work life balance is great.

Cons

After changing job titles, it is difficult to receive compensation comparable with other associates in a role.

On-campus cafeteria is expensive.

Redundant processes and personnel need to be addressed.

Work to eliminate redundant processes and provide better training for specific tools.

Wonderful Company

Current Employee - Intern in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Intern in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Cerner has some of the greatest employees that will make you feel at home and enjoy your job. While we always get work done, we have fun doing so.

Cons

There are no cons other than doing tedious work, but that comes with every job!

Fast growing company

Former Employee - Business Analyst Intern in North Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Business Analyst Intern in North Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner

Pros

Quick growth means fast responsibilities
    Casual, young atmosphere
    Great managemetn

Cons

Brand recognition isn't great outside of the industry

I have really good experience with the company so far. They treat you really good.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Scope for growth and company is making really good progress.

Cons

For me none so far.

Nice enough environment.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Nice enough people. Nice enough salary.

Cons

Just the normal cons of any job.

Cerner was a wonderful opportunity to showcase my talents and skills in sales/marketing/consulting/project management.

Former Employee - Senior Engagement Manager/Sales in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Senior Engagement Manager/Sales in Olathe, KS

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cerner fosters a great environment to work in many different areas within the Healthcare IT Industry. It has great benefits and training programs depending on your career goals. I enjoyed the people I worked with, and the support I was given as well as many of the clients I was able to foster positive, longstanding relationships. It is a great company.

Cons

I found no downside to working at Cerner. I would like to pursue opportunities at a smaller company with development into an Executive role.

I believe good management are those who continue to develop individuals that have good potential to be future leaders in their respective companies. "Employees who believe that management is concerned about them as a whole person - not just an employee - are more productive, more satisfied, more fulfilled. Satisfied employees mean satisfied customers, which leads to profitability." (Anne M. Mulcahy)

Not the best but not the worst

Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can say the F word a lot and people don't really get that mad. I enjoyed this atmosphere.You do get an unlimited supply of Folger's coffee as well. This really isn't a pro.

Cons

Sometimes you have to travel and it's not that fun. This is mostly due to being sent to places that aren't fun. It's not all bad though. They make you wait 3 years to go remote. You get an unlimited supply of Folger's coffee.

Provide more dinners for the gang. Also I would recommend that you live every day with a smile. I don't like seeing any glum faces around the office.

My review

Current Employee - Velocity Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Velocity Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Good leader ship and work/life balance

Cons

Lack of growth for level 7 employees

Concentrate on level 7 employees

Support Analyst

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

The company provides great benefits and many perks (many as support analyst do not get to enjoy). Most associates are friendly. Great place to make new friends.

Cons

Managers do not care about you at all. Most support analysts are there hoping to move to a different position after 18 months. Many of them leave before then. Most support analyst positions are call centers. They only give it an fancy name. The opportunity to grow is minimal before the 18 month, no matter how hard someone works.

Care more about everyone's career.

It's a love hate relationship

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

First off, my experience here has been mostly good overall. After starting you get put into a training program (if you're a software engineer) which will last at least a month but usually longer. During this time you get to work on some interesting projects if you get lucky enough. The training environment is pretty laid back as long as you are getting work done during your training time and they offer games, trivia and tech talks on occasion to give everyone a break from the daily routine. Once you get put on a team you may get lucky and have it easy. Some teams won't make you work more than a regular work week (as long as you aren't slacking). A lot teams also have team outings which is a good way to get to know everyone you're working with. From my experience, the management treats people well and looks at them like actual people instead of cogs in a machine and I get the sense that they are genuinely concerned about the poeple they manage. The atmosphere is very nice and you get to wear casual clothes to work and sometimes they will host events for people to let loose a little and partake in some free food, and even some adult beverages. (If you like beer Wooh! Free beer!). Depending on your team you can pretty much come in anytime during the day as long as you're putting in your eight hours and you'll often see people still coming into work in the afternoon.

Cons

Of couse every company has a downside. Work from home seems to be frowned upon by most management throughout the company so if you like to spend time away from the office and still put in work this probably isn't the place for you. The training can be intimidating. Some people can struggle with their project as they may be using a technology they have never used before to get a job done. If you're not showing progress very quickly you can be presssured very strongly by the trainers. Some people aslo dissapeared from the training program entirely because they were very secretly fired. This will also more than likey put you in a place where you owe the company money since a majority of the people they hire are given a relocation bonus that has to be paid back if your employment is terminated or you leave within a certain time frame. These people may also already be in a new lease for a house or apartment and need to start looking for a job or be forced to leave relatively quickly. The training may or may not pertain to anything you will be working on once you get placed on a team which is honestly a waste of money for the company. On top of this, you'll have to go through more training once you get placed on a team because they usually have their own work environment that will need to be mastered early on. There are some people who work more than twelve hours a day almost immediately after being placed on a team and most I've talked to about going through training will say, after the fact, it was mostly useless. There is an 18 month no transfer policy so you can get stuck on a team you dislike for a year and a half if you're unlucky. The vacation policy isn't that great since they recently changed it. Employees used to accrue a set amount of hours which did not include any sick leave; you caould take unlimited amount as needed. Now they added 5 days to the accrual ammount but when sick you have to take time from a single pool which includes all of your vacation hours. The company also reduced the amount of hours you can cary over from year to year as well as made coming into the company with several years of experience less appealing since you will accrue time off based on the amount of service you've provided to Cerner itself not based on experience level as a whole. The company's documentation is usually not that good and it is typically found on an internal wiki which can be hard to search through. Cerner uses an internal "Social network" as well which seems mostly useless in my opinion.