Cerner Reviews

Updated August 29, 2014

3.6

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important) (in 17 reviews)

• Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all (in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 58 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

Former Employee - ELT TESTER  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - ELT TESTER in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Cerner as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

company values, perks, work-life balance, office culture

Cons

promotions, training, time-off policies, personal growth.

Software engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice working environment and a great opportunity to work with multiple technologies.,

Cons

Kansas City is boring.

Best place to start your career in tech

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

-They take a chance on you while other companies won't.
    -They invest in you and it feels good to feel valuable to a company when you're just starting out.
    -They train you for a month about all you need to know to begin doing well on the job.
    -Great place for out of college first salaried job.
    -They pay a decent amount for someone whose skills really aren't that great. (Just starting out)
    -People complain about pay but let's face it, out of college this is probably the most you're going to get unless you did especially well or have great skills.
    -Overall the people you work with are awesome (from my experience). And as long as you take initiative to learn and show that you are independent and can keep a positive attitude while keeping clients happy and being polite you will have a great time.

Cons

-The systems they use have HORRIBLE UI. Makes doing your job a little frustrating sometimes but it's really not that bad.
    -They could do more to keep good people, but I think they don't really want to because they can just get the next college student who has decent skills and just train them for a couple months and they're good to go. I think this puts a lot of pressure on the senior people who tend to be few. They simply ignore the new people because they get so many questions (I'm assuming). They literally don't reply to your questions unless absolutely forced or you're good friends with them. I advise EVERYONE to be extremely nice to senior people and get on their good side as fast as possible without going over the top of course. If you can get in good graces with the senior people you will have a good time.
    -You will have to work more than 40 hours a week (some weeks and depends on your position). But if you are new out of college this is GOOD FOR YOU because you're learning more. Of course it's annoying or frustrating but let's face it you're probably feeling lucky that you even have a job. Your skills probably are exaggerated and the overtime work is never hard. I usually just do it from home or stay a bit after.

-Make an effort to change the UI. It can't be that hard.
    -Keep a few more senior people on staff. Or at least incentivise them to help the new guys.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good and excellent to work for

Cons

great and very good to work for

very good

Unlimited Opportunities

Current Employee - Program Coordinator  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I started at Cerner right out of college and I have found our leadership to be very supportive and empowering to help me learn, grow, and consistently be challenged in my work. They provide great health benefits and have a relaxed work environment.

Cons

As deadlines loom, the number of hours you work can increase.

Continue to lead, in both the health care AND technology industries, to ensure we're cutting edge and never behind the curve.

Alot of office politics

Former Employee - Test Analyst  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Test Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leaving early on some Fridays. My managers were really flexible with my school schedule. Their innovations were really cool to be apart of and learn about. Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in. You are surrounded by alot of your peers as alot employees are young, which can be good and bad. Laid back atmosphere for the most part.

Cons

There was alot of favortism, politics, and can be unorganized on projects. Communication can be akward as so many managers live by the motto "no feedback is good feedback" versus being proactive in their subordinates professional develpment.

Be more involved in the development of your associates, and not just the ones you admire. Ambuguity is ok until it gets to the point where most including the manager needs to either be retrained or have no clue how to move forward on the project. Understand that quality over quantiy is more valuable despite client deadlines, therefore set appropriate expectations.

One of the best places to start your career.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have a great training program for new graduates and even high school kids.
    Competitive pay and good benefits, including on site clinic and free access to the gym.

Cons

The organizations are constantly changing so you have to be able to adapt to changes quickly.

Smartest people, fastest thinkers and LONGEST hours worked

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst  in  Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay
    Benefits
    Growing at a rapid rate

Cons

The 48 hours a week expected work hours and learning "The Cerner Way"... it is like drinking from a fire hose. ... it hurts until you adjust or break.

Find a more seemless transition point or process so the 1st day the associate is in their team they can be productive and not be in "Land of the Lost" .... more training on applications configurations and Issue Response (Break/Fix).

Career Builder

Current Employee - Solutions Designer  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Solutions Designer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible to try new things and add new skill sets.

Cons

The hours can be long and pressure from clients can add a lot of stress, making burn out a strong reality.

Need to regulate the amount of hours that associates that show signs of burn out better.

Stepping stone employer

Current Employee - Solution Architect  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training - there's typically a large market for former Cerner employees. If you enjoy travel, you can get lots of domestic travel. Once you become a Solution Architect, them minimum you will make is $74,000 (I became one in exactly 2 years, some do it quicker, some do it slower). You can expect to get 3% raises for many years after the SA bump and potentially never get a huge raise like that again.

Cons

Cerner has a reputation for working you to death and they live up to it. They are also known to heavily underpay compared to the rest of the industry.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!