Cerner Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important) (in 17 reviews)

• Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all (in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 58 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful Experience get to learn alot from many qualified Network Engineers

Current Employee - Apprentice  in  Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Apprentice in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly atmosphere awards go getters. You get out what you put in. Don't be lazy and expect advancement.

Cons

The Network space I think should be moved back to the way it should be with all of the Engineers sitting in the same area for collaboration.

Worthwhile

Former Employee - Velocity Delivery Consultant  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Velocity Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and open. There are many opportunities to move around and grown in the company.

Cons

As a velocity consultant intern, the program does not allow for an intern to attend talks and summits sponsored by Cerner as the internship is too structured.

Allow employees to live in cities other than Kansas City.

Fast paced and understaffed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, overall culture is good, on-site clinic for KC employees is very good. Cerner stock given for 401k match has done well historically.

Cons

Some teams are much better than others, and they aren't the ones that have lots of openings to move into. In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance. Company is understaffed in many areas - with some recent events, I suspect too much money was spent on the recent acquisition and many areas have been left underfunded. Reviews are pooled, so someone doesn't get a raise even if everyone performs well. If you want to move up fast try to get to a fast growing area like population health. Some people act incredibly entitled and arrogant as if they are the only ones who do anything important in the company.

Growth is good, just make sure it's under control

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great

I worked at Cerner for less than a year

Pros

Flexile schedule and the travel can be great at times. The culture is also very young and exciting as well as innovative. Great opportunity for advancement

Cons

Depending on which department you start in the hours can be very long at times. Depending on which role and how much you travel it can be a lot to handle

Worked for Cerner for 10+ years

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working for a visionary company committed to using technology to transform health care; working with extremely bright, hardworking, competent people; the managers I had while I worked there were excellent and highly ethical, but I had colleagues for whom this was not the case; in my division, if you were skilled at your position, had initiative and a strong desire to make a contribution, and were very proactive, you were offered opportunities to work on rather interesting & challenging projects. Decent salary with stock options offered to higher level employees who performed well (1 = highest level, 9 = entry level ... I was a 3).

Cons

There are a number of 'silos' within Cerner, but I suppose this is true of any large company to some extent or another; By silos I mean divisions/groups/teams that have overlapping and/or complementary interests/goals/functions, but have little to no communication/collaboration with these groups; frequent organizational restructuring, which could be aggravating (sometimes felt like being in a house built on shifting sand, so to speak); intermittent re-prioritization and re-allocation of resources to chase after the next 'big thing' was also sometimes irritating; definitely a "do it now" culture...sometimes tight deadlines were established even for particular tasks/projects at hand had no great urgency to the internal/external client requesting the work; if you record only 40 hours per week on your time sheet for a period of time, you will be confronted about this and advised of Cerner's expectation for everyone to work more than 40 hours per week; I intermittently had to work very long hours on projects to complete them in time, but this is a growth-oriented, for profit, publicly traded IT company, so this is not terribly surprising.

Overall a very good company. Definitely has the potential to achieve its vision of using technology to transform health care. See 'Cons' above for opportunities for improvement.

excellent, everybody is nice. Lot's of opportunities to be social.

Current Employee - Support Analyst  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, you have an opportunity to meet lots of people and everyone is very nice and supportive. Mostly a young group employed there, but that's great if you're young.

Cons

The only con would be that you do work really hard, but that's probably the case in a lot of companies.

Love working at Cerner

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Fast-paced, career advancement opportunities, great work environment, unique culture

Cons

difficult to navigate at first

Rwarding

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

fast paced, challenging, exciting and gratifying

Cons

growth after a point, vision, politics in certain areas.

great company if you are a workaholic

Current Employee - Clinical Strategist
    Current Employee - Clinical Strategist

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

good opportunities and great peers

Cons

unrealistic expectations for workloads, training is minimal

include travel time in to acknowledged work hours

Support Analyst-ITWorks

Current Employee - Support Analyst  in  Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Company as a whole is great! Team members are great. Young Culture, Nice starting pay for KCMO, Cafeteria, driving commute, Free Gym, Laptop provided.

Cons

Only for the Support Analyst role...call queue, call center like environment, talking directly to rude physicians and Nurses etc. have to be in a role for 18 months! The grass is greener on the other side after a successful completion of the 18 months and you are able to experience other departments without being attached to a phone! Constant ringing, back to back calls! I recommend the company but not the Support Analyst Role!

Before new processes are put in place, please ask the ones who actually have to do the work...if the process works or not! Plenty of times something is implemented without consulting with those who have to use it..it's just thrown at us and it ends up crashing and effecting our daily work! Being that we work in Health Care there are really no room for error or systems breaking down when they call us for help!!!!

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!