Cerner Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 20 reviews)

• Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance (in 71 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

Salary increased 140% over 10 years.

Current Employee - Mid-level manager / Software architect in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Mid-level manager / Software architect in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. Pay
    In my experience, the majority (75%) of US software engineers get a 3% annual raise. Top 10% get 6% and top 3% get 9% raises consistently each year. Raises are merit based. Higher performance equals better pay.

Leveling up / promotion increases pay range and can net an additionally large increase of 10+%.

*I'm not positive but believe most early career developers in India get larger merit based raises -- ~9% rather than 3% is status quo.

Executives get performance bonuses, stock options, etc. Early career developers do not! High performing non-exec developers can get stock options during the annual review time if they meet stringent criteria.

2. Learning
    While Cerner has self-study and instructor led class offerings, you will learn a tremendous amount on the job and from collaboration with peers. I joined with basic knowledge of one primary software coding language. I have used more than 10 languages on various projects over time. With over 2000 engineers on staff, a lot is learned through collaboration via online forums ( think about an internal Stack Overflow website ).

Cerner spends a tremendous amount of time coaching associates to be team leads, managers, and executives. The leadership training is first class and has frequent involvement from senior executives. Training is more advanced for US engineering than India engineering currently but improving in India.

3. Endless projects
    After a month of settling in with training, etc - you will get a project. After three months, you will feel more comfortable with meeting expectations. At four months, you will be handed more responsibility and become aware there is a lot that you do not know. After about a year, you will become a productive associate. You will quickly find out that software projects are never 'done.' There will always be feature upgrades, repairs, and new capabilities to add. The project backlog is endless.

tl;dr -- There is plenty of work to do. You will not be counting the hours for your shift to end due to boredom.

4. Career opportunities
    There are a couple hundred development teams and a couple thousand developers. Just about every technology and software language you can imagine is leveraged ( desktop apps, servers, cloud, windows, linux, mobile ( apple, windows, android ), web, hardware, virtualization, big data, automation, ruby/python/perl/java/c++/c/vb/groovy/sql/ccl/html/javascript/etc ).

Bored, stagnant, don't like your peers? Stick out your current team for 18 months and switch to something new. Tired of development? I know several associates that started out as software developers and transitioned into system engineer, consulting, sales, client managers, support, or management roles. Want to repot? With clients all over the US and in several other countries, you can relocate to different offices. This is particularly true if you speak fluent Spanish or French. Most development is done in KC but engineering types skills are needed everywhere.

Cons

A pro for clients and stakeholders is a con for associates. Like ALL profitable companies, you are paid for results rather than effort. While most developers average 45 hours per week over the course of a year, there will be times you must work considerable more.

Cerner will not 'require' you to work extra hours but you may struggle with life/work balance as an individual. Honestly, you can work 24 hours a day and never 'finish' the project backlog. This means you must have the self-discipline to shut-down for the day at a time that works for you. However, Cerner takes the balance consideration seriously. Managers typically monitor for excessive work hours and will hound you to take vacation, give you help via capacity, or provide comp time.

Most early career associates aspire to make more money fast. To get better raises, you have to outperform peers with similar experience. Few associates can notably produce more results in the same time as their peers. As result, some ambitious associates choose to work more until their experience improves to the point they can work 'smarter' to generate higher productivity.

1. Give bonus incentives to all associates that align with executive incentives to accomplish top imperatives.
    2. Keep performing one on one discussions to stay in sync and help associates overcome obstacles.
    3. Consider having managers work as coaches only rather than player/coach. A manager that is 'playing' individual contributor cannot 'coach' and enable his or her associates with great efficiency or effectiveness.

Simply Amazing

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers
    Consistently challenged to learn more and excel
    No day is the same

Cons

There are times where you have to spread your wings and fly before you feel you are ready. This can be good or bad, just depends on the situation, but it does cause a bit of anxiety/stress.

Encourage your reports to attend training sessions either internally or externally. The information absorbed and the networking opportunity is invaluable.

Integration Architect

Current Employee - Senior Integration Architect
    Current Employee - Senior Integration Architect

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cerner is a great company to work for. Over the years they have been very innovative and have changed with the market demands - somethings a bit late and other times on track. Their client and associate learning services offerings have come a long ways and are now very sophisticated and provide great value for investment.

Cons

It is very hard to get a Director promotion outside of living in Kansas City.

Don't lose the corporate culture by expanding too fast. Make sure that Siemens acquisition is done with some foresight.

Great

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

awesome place to start of a long-term career

Cons

long hours and travel can get tiring, but lots of rewards associated

Great Place

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Good place to work in career

Cons

None that I can think of, lots of opportunity

Good people, good mgmt, lots of work

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Level bump after one year coupled with a 9% raise
    - Work is challenging and rewarding at times
    - Those who perform well are recognized and appreciated

Cons

- Unreal expectations at times
    - Silos, associates rarely step out of their day-to-day work environment

- Give associates the opportunity to diversify more in their daily job functions
    - Don't lose perspective

High School Internship

I worked at Cerner

Pros

You can learn a lot stuff from the High School Internship

Cons

You need to learn everything by yourself

Maybe we should have some training program for the High School Internship

Good first job

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun place to work, young, quick paced.

Cons

Salary was alright but could've been better. Raises are good but need to start at high level.

Good experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good leadership and able to gain more technical knowledge; encourages healthy living

Cons

No annual bonus or stock benefits

Outstanding peer and managerial support

Current Employee - Clinical Strategist in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Clinical Strategist in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone I've met has been very supportive and accommodating. I can call up any of my co-workers with a question and they would be willing to help. My manager is outstanding and works hard to coach me in advancing my career.

Cons

You have to teach yourself a lot. Training is provided, but there is so much more that you need to know. The resources are out there, but you must make the effort and take the time to find them.

You are doing the right thing. I have seen great strides in the availability of resources and support. I know we are moving in the right direction.