Cerner

Updated January 25, 2015
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 21 reviews)

• Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance for the benefit of associate wellness needs addressed from top/down (in 75 reviews)

• Long hours, some employees fresh out of college and need guidance in corporate settings (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

Executive

Former Employee - Operations Executive in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Operations Executive in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner

Pros

This is a large company where +80% of employees are hired out of college and "groomed" culturally to perform to the expectations created by a relatively small number of corporate officers

Cons

A couple givens: Management's way or the highway. No deviation from what Neal says. Duck and try to stay alive and relevant.

Retire Neal. Listen to clients. Arrogance is not an option

Its a good place to get experience, but expect to work a lot of late nights.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I think its good place to work for if you are coming straight out of college. I would recommend working here a few years to gain experience and then move on. I feel like a learned a lot working for this company. Management can be good if you land on the right team.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. I work a lot of late nights and weekends. They lose a lot of talented people because they don't want to pay them fairly for the extra amount of work that they do. Most of the documentation there is horrible. Work plans are always missing steps or outdated.

Pay people fairly for the work they do and they might stick around.

Job security but little satisfaction

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-job security, once you are hired you are there to stay.
    -gym on campus with great classes and instructors
    -if your manager supports you, lots of training opportunities online, in person, and at conferences

Cons

-"business need" trumps all. People are transferred to new jobs (to new locations 20 miles away) with only a day of notice. regardless of what job you're hired for, you will be assigned somewhere based on what they need that particular day.The experience very much depends on what team you're on. Some teams were very satisfied with job quality, while others really suffered from lack of leadership
    -long hours are required, regardless of quality of work. Management would rather see you work 60 hours a week and be unproductive than 40 hours and get stuff done. Leadership rewarded us for a summer of 80 hour weeks with $5 gift cards
    - managers are promoted based on tenure alone, and not by quality. as a result, several of the managers I had weren't qualified for the role, which impacted my job satisfaction.
    - limited opportunities for career advancement. strict 18 month no-transfer policy, and even then, hiring/transfer freezes left you in your role for as long as they need.

Management knows that between KU, K-State, and Mizzou, they can get an endless flow of new grads. But that's not an excuse to treat people without respect and consideration to a work-life balance or career development.

Wait your turn

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

The first two years are mostly about proving yourself to get a level jump. Once you hit an initial level movement will be easy.

Cons

Very strict 18 month wait policy before transferring teams.

Decent place to start your career

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Good learning opportunities for new grads and junior levels.
    - The pay is decent for Kansas City area.

Cons

- Nobody and nobody cares about you as a person. You are simply a body that can get some work done.
    - Cerner highly promotes keeping employees for long term but has opposite policies and work culture in place.
    - Getting "accepted" into the team or company culture is a major issue. People are too reserved and very narrow minded.
    - A lot of people drink the "Cerner kool-aid" and believe in the hype but reality couldn't be further away.
    - Changing teams is easier said than done. As is the case with other things Cerner, this is highly promoted as benefit but very difficult to exercise.
    - BONUS: There's an unsaid 20% overtime rule. Basically, you are *required* to submit 48 hours of timesheet each week. It doesn't matter if you actually have work or not, just make things up or pace it slow but be there for at least 48 hours a week.

- Your employees are not simply a resource that you can simply replace by another. The culture that you have is definitely not sustainable on a long term.
    - There's a reason Epic still is considered as a better company than Cerner, despite its size.
    - Just doing a beer Friday once a month isn't "cool". Transperancy and communication with your lowest level of employees is far more important.

Churn and Burn

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable and growing company, good experience for a resume, good benefits, range of opportunities, good place for college grads to get experience

Cons

Cerner is operated by-the-rule-book and is corporate to the extreme. Your promotions, salary, and raises are severely limited and dictated by a specific HR rule structure, resulting in very minimal raises and often poor pay. Being such a large company, you are truly just a number and treated as replaceable. Most employees only gain respect and long-term benefits after being at the company for 10+ years. Moving up this tall ladder is political and a very slow process, based on the structure and corporate BS. It has a high turnover rate and a strong (and true) reputation for being a company that works you hard and underpays. Their tremendous growth and revenue is not spread amongst the hard-working employees. Obviously, your day-to-day experience varies based on your manager and division, since it is so large.

Advice on Glassdoor will never reach the powers-to-be, who are motivated by their own interests and gains.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Client Care Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Client Care Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

The trainers are really good and they have a great system in place that will ensure that you succeed your position.

Cons

the only con i can find is the hours.

Excellent

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Good work life balance at the company

Cons

Nothing important to mention. Had good experience

It's okay ... not great ... not horrible ... just okay.

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, opportunities to learn, and health benefits are okay especially if you are able to go to their world headquarters with their doctor's office in-house.

Cons

So much red tape to get basic equipment you need for your job. On that same note, they have horrible internal IT for their employees. I have been in my career for over 15 years and never have I had to wait months upon months for basic equipment that I've had at every other company on day 1 for someone in my position. Also, when I have had a problem with my equipment I've had to troubleshoot it myself as again their IT is of no help. This is what will hinder productivity.

Benefits are not great ... a few paid holidays (the major standard ones), minimum standard vacation you get at most companies, a few paid sick days. 401K is less than a 2% match and it's a 5 year wait to be vested. I've had better and I've had worse.

Work/Life Balance so far is okay, not great, but okay.

I'd be a lot happier if I didn't have to deal with so many equipment issues that are basic at every other place of employment I've had. Also, working with their internal IT department has been a horrible experience. Cut the red tape. Beyond that, so far I think management has been alright.

Director

Former Employee - Director in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Director in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They are one of a few stock market traded companies in the HCIT sector.
    They have strong brand equity - although they have many unhappy clients.
    They are a big organization with lots of training opportunities for younger employees.

Cons

CEO - egotistical and doesn't really have a clue what's going on at the R/D level, in spite of the huge $B budget.
    They scare new hires about encountering CEO in an elevator who could ask random questions, if you can't answer, you will be fired. Really? Is this type of hazing necessary?
    VP's and top Execs are all managing their careers to max their bonuses, no integrity & they lie to get clients and exec support to max their bonuses..
    Lots of smoke and mirrors. Lots of turnover. Long-timers would be considered "dead wood" in most other organizations, yet have strong power at Cerner. Best and Brightest leave quickly. Lots of emphasis on "team" and not so much being "smart" - lot's of low level IQ people who've drank the kool-aid and are just hoping to hold on to a job!

If you are trying to make a difference in healthcare (honestly) - run!

More consideration should be given to understand if current staff has the skills to take on certain projects and technologies. Many innovative, advanced technologies have been driven into the ground by existing Cerner people without the education/knowledge to know what they were working with. People fudging results trying to hold on to their jobs - without a clue as to what they are doing. Sales people will sell anything to get a commission - laughing that no one will remember the lies that they told about how Cerner solutions will work...laughing to the bank. Haha - joke is on the customer, and no one thinks there's anything wrong with this -Cerner culture! Is this right? I had a hard time with it - left.