Cerner Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
3.6

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important) (in 17 reviews)

• Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all (in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 58 reviews)

More Highlights

Unlimited Opportunities

Current Employee - Program Coordinator  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I started at Cerner right out of college and I have found our leadership to be very supportive and empowering to help me learn, grow, and consistently be challenged in my work. They provide great health benefits and have a relaxed work environment.

Cons

As deadlines loom, the number of hours you work can increase.

Continue to lead, in both the health care AND technology industries, to ensure we're cutting edge and never behind the curve.

Alot of office politics

Former Employee - Test Analyst  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Test Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leaving early on some Fridays. My managers were really flexible with my school schedule. Their innovations were really cool to be apart of and learn about. Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in. You are surrounded by alot of your peers as alot employees are young, which can be good and bad. Laid back atmosphere for the most part.

Cons

There was alot of favortism, politics, and can be unorganized on projects. Communication can be akward as so many managers live by the motto "no feedback is good feedback" versus being proactive in their subordinates professional develpment.

Be more involved in the development of your associates, and not just the ones you admire. Ambuguity is ok until it gets to the point where most including the manager needs to either be retrained or have no clue how to move forward on the project. Understand that quality over quantiy is more valuable despite client deadlines, therefore set appropriate expectations.

Smartest people, fastest thinkers and LONGEST hours worked

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst  in  Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay
    Benefits
    Growing at a rapid rate

Cons

The 48 hours a week expected work hours and learning "The Cerner Way"... it is like drinking from a fire hose. ... it hurts until you adjust or break.

Find a more seemless transition point or process so the 1st day the associate is in their team they can be productive and not be in "Land of the Lost" .... more training on applications configurations and Issue Response (Break/Fix).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great starter company for new grads

Former Employee - Learning Consultant  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Learning Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

This was a great first "real" job out of college. They provide a LOT of on-the-job training. There are a ton of perks like, on-site pharmacy/doctors, on-site day-care, gym, etc.

Cons

The pay is pretty low and they tend to work you a lot! Your work schedule varies a lot depending on your manager. I had one manager who barely knew I existed and I worked the average 40 hours/week but then I moved to another area and worked close to 60 hours a week for months (until I left the company).

Not worth your time...

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of resources within the company, plenty of opportunity to travel for both short and long-term engagements, ability to proactively impact healthcare.

Cons

Low pay, long hours, endless on call (regardless of the schedule), expected to drop your personal life at any moment to help out with the smallest issue, severely disconnected management.

Start investing in your own people with salaries that are actually competitive with national standards. Provide training for associates and leave them alone when they are training.

Don't believe everything you hear

Current Employee - Systems Integration Architect
    Current Employee - Systems Integration Architect

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well established. Good policies procedures, and employee self help systems.

Cons

Goal Oriented, poor or improper communication. From the goal oriented stand point they don't care if you work 60 hour work weeks they just want the goal met and have a quality outcome. they set AGGRESSIVE deadlines and offer little to no help for you to accomplish the task in time for the deadline in fact they usually saddle you with 15-20 hours of additional work each week that impedes your ability to accomplish your goal and then reviews you poorly for the effort. They like to dangle mythical carrots in front of their associates. Usuallay they will hand you a large promotion and tell you you need to perform in this role for 6 months then assuming your review is acceptable you will get the compensation ..... !!!!WARNING!!!!! DO NOT TRUST THIS. Get everything in writing and use your initial on boarding to negotiate your compensation and benefits. IF you don't get this established immediately on hire don't expect it to ever come.

I was promoted 7 months ago. I received a "meets expectations" on my positional review stating "no associate performing duties in a role for less than a year can receive a grade above meets expectations, regardless of work ethic, work quality, goal completion, or peer review" so I worked an everage of 45-55 hours a week gave so many weekend and evening I lost count got exceptional reviews on my project completions and daily tasks and got an mediocre review. That compensation they promised with the huge promotion ended up being 3K annually (2.6%) so basically they arranged to have me work 10-20% more handle vastly more responsibility for the same pay as I was making in my lower level position. When questioned they said unfortunately you will have to perform this role for another year before we can adequately compensate you .... YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!

STOP LYING TO YOUR GOOD ASSOCIATES AND START GIVING THEM WHAT YOU PROMISE AND WHAT THEY DESERVE

If they tell you that you have wait for a raise, you won't see it.

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting work, you have a chance to influence how healthcare is delivered in the US, some coworkers are incredible, "work hard, play hard" culture is interesting. Stock has outperformed the market almost every year since it went public.

Cons

Too much reliance on rigid work plans are making the new crop of engineers unable to think outside the box for troubleshooting, too many in senior leadership aren't leaders, they just got promoted out of what they excelled at. Tend to get promised the world in a review for "next year", but those promises rarely get delivered upon. Always another "and" getting added to your job duties, but no additional resources are made available.

Pay your production owners what they are worth. There's a reason there's so much turnover in that job...24/7/365 on call, tons more pressure and work, for a 3% raise? At best it's just a stop on the way to a higher paying job at a competitor, a client hospital, or anywhere else.

All Work, No Play

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Great place to start out. Strong stock.

Cons

On-call 24/7. Training is useless.

Have an understanding of what your team actually does. Most manager couldn't do or explain the most basic task of a system engineer.

Its Okey.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable Job. Great Health Benefits. Onsite Clinic.

Cons

Not really techy. It wont be like start up or something for past paced people.

Management could do lot better.

Worked for Cerner for 13 years

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Innovative company, moves fast, hands in all areas of HCIT

Cons

pay, I was a virtual associate hard to develop relationships with KC based associates

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!