Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important) (in 17 reviews)

• Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all (in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 58 reviews)

More Highlights

Okay place to work

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsNice Facilities, competitive pay, collaborative team environment

ConsWork/Life Balance can be a struggle at times

Exciting start, weird culture

Delivery Consultant (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThe Gym at the WHQ is great!
    The benefits are very decent.
    Management/HR was very understanding and worked with me when I had to take short-term leave due to an emergency surgery.
    Plenty of travel opportunities.
    It is absolutely awesome to work with providers/hospitals/hospital staff!

ConsFirst and foremost: the culture. It is almost like a culture of fear. One of the things I remember most about my first day during their Onboarding training was "don't mess up for x reason, or you will always be remembered for x..."

Very much a cult of personality culture as well. Many young people which was nice , but very strange in that it seemed "cult-like" with some people (very hard to describe, and I do not mean to say that this carries to all employees, just a general sense and my opinion).

It is a literal TON of information to digest during the first few months, and it is not easily understood the first time through. I would estimate that 70 percent of what I learned in the first couple of months at Cerner were not used in my day-to-day job after the fact.

You are expected to always be billable (for good reason-you are being paid to ensure that Cerner meets its quarterly goals), however I found that the ways in which managers would try and promote this were fairly unethical at best, and downright lying to clients in terms of work accomplished at worst.

I felt that I could not perform my job adequately with the information I was trained with within a few months of learning the material. It is very difficult to try and learn when you are trained for things which you will never use, and are then expected to immediately know how to build code for a completely different solution.

Most of the day consisted of answering emails and building out different solutions for clients, and becoming increasingly frustrated at the Wiki pages that you are expected to utilize for literally almost everything pertaining to your job build-wise. Very frustrating as I feel that I learn better in a social environment and this wasn't used enough in my opinion.

Compensation was initially average, however the annual raises are awful. It is completely up to your manager who you may or may not see in the office (I saw mine about once or twice a month). Therefore, depends on your personal relationship with your manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe your long-term goals are great (especially with population health!), however I believe that the culture is not conducive to an atmosphere where you feel valued. The annual raise/review was very poor.

Good Company but too many restrictions around moving to different teams and gaining exposure.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsStrong immigration team
    Agile environment
    Good scope to work on new projects (depending on the team)

ConsNot much career progression
    Pay hikes are really low

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Start a Career

Technology Architect (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThe people around you are fairly young which can be a bad thing, but they are all "go getters" For those looking to launch their career with a bang and to learn this is the place for you.

ConsGrowth in the company can be tough, they will work you hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more into the associates and compensate them accordingly. Take money off the table and you will be able to retain them for years to come.

Cerner - Delivery Consultant/Analyst

Delivery Consultant (Current Employee) Kansas City, KS

Pros-laid back/casual environment, free gym, good benefits, nice campuses
    -competitive pay
    -experience handling multiple projects at once
    -opportunities for advancement
    -upper management within my department are acting to make positive changes based on employee feedback

Cons-required minimum of working 48 hours a week

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more guidance on potential career opportunities within the company.

Its a ok company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

Prospretty young friendly crowd.

Consnot enough vacation, not enough pay, management is not very good either.

Advice to Senior Managementthose people who talk a lot aren't necessarily the one doing most of the work.

Friendly people, fast environment, great resources!

Early Childhood Teacher (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsGreat hours, rotating day off each week, leadership team is great!

ConsTeam mentality is always used, not all people on my team are team players

Fast-paced and great company to work for overall.

ProsThere are a lot of career opportunities and room to grow. The culture and benefits are great!

ConsWork-life balance can be off at times, depending on the role responsibilities and the time of year.

Business Apprentice

Business Apprentice (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsEligible for all the benefits as a full time associate, 401k, stocks, gym membership. I could not think of a better way to get your foot in the door with an incredibly successful company. As of 6.6.14 I have been with the company 2 years and can't think of any place I'd rather be.

ConsHit or miss with management. Some apprentices get great roles with up and coming and developed teams doing real work, others get stuck literally ordering coffee and doing the grunt intern work. Inconsistency!

Cerner is a growing company with many opportunities for the career-minded

Program Coordinator (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsCasual atmosphere, and fast-paced environment

Consannual reviews and compensation can be a point of disappointment for many associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you market Cerner as a "pay for performance" company then it should be that. I would also like to see more part time or work from home opportunities.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!