Cerner

Updated August 19, 2014

3.6

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important) (in 17 reviews)

• Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all (in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 58 reviews)

More Highlights

Software Engineer

Pros

- Big Company
    - Perfect place with right pace to learn the technology

Cons

- Slow in process.
    - Not a good place for start-up mentality kind of people.

No regrets, but the company drastically changed the 10+ years I was there.

Former Employee - Various  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Various in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Most of your fellow associates are great people to work with and really care about their contributions to healthcare. Decent pay and great health benefits.

Cons

Corporate America is swallowing this company up. More emphasis is based on deadlines and metrics than quality. Work/life balance is terrible. Training is baptism by fire.

Associates have numbers but they also have names. And some of them have pretty good idea if you will stop and listen.

Consider for a career start but don't plan to stay

Former Employee - Withheld  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Withheld in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Easy to get hired as they have huge volumes of turnover in the KC area and other sites. Can get hired with little to no experience. Salaries can potentially be competitive depending on the position and how much of a crunch the department with the position is in.

Cons

Work environment and general experience can vary based on where you get hired so I am speaking only from my own experience. I worked in one of their IT Works sites which was very poorly managed. Long hours due to lack of planning or poor structuring with no thanks, compensation or reward for getting things done. Word was that nearly all the IT Works sites were like this and are generally considered a joke by the rest of the company. The helpdesk is also a miserable place to work I've been told and also suffered from very high turnover.

Compensation may start off respectable (emphasis on "may") but expect 0-3% raises if you decide to stay year after year even if you put in the 60+ hour work weeks that are expected or sprung on you at the last minute. It was not rare to be told at 4pm on a Friday that we would be expected to work through the weekend. Management would then be absent from the extra hours and it was common to come in only to stand around and not know what we were there to do.

Most of the management level people I encountered were clueless about nearly everything. Most knew very little about technology and had zero in the way of technical understanding which resulted in ideas or initiatives that were either unreasonable or flat out impossible. I suspect they are also trained to not listen to their employees and treat communication as a one-way street based on the behavior I encountered. Additionally they knew nothing about company structure and policies. Questions about how to fix a submitted time sheet or where to find information about benefits or corporate related material was almost always met by being told to ask someone else or to look it up on your own.

In all honestly this is not a company I would recommend if you have a decent amount of professional experience and the career potential to work some place else. To sum it up I would compare it to a McDonalds or Walmart in terms of how it operates: Mostly staffed and operated by young, underpaid kids where it's very likely to be their first corporate job or laid off refugees from other companies just happy to have a paycheck again overseen by barely literate overzealous types who don't know the first thing about IT or managing but can recite the company cheer forwards and backwards and wouldn't think twice about getting the company logo tattooed across their chest.

Final note, they had surprisingly poor health insurance for a health care company.

Lead by example. Understand that managing is a two way street not just what your employees do to make you look good. You have obligations to those below you as well. Try actually showing up to meetings and interacting with your team. It also probably helps to know what it is your department actually does and understand the work that your team does.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Cerner is fast paced and challenging, but can be a great place to start your career

Current Employee - Systems Engineer Intern  in  Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer Intern in Kansas City, KS

Pros

The company is always looking for new innovations. As an internal systems engineer I have worked on several upgrades or new software deploys in a very short time. The culture is like nothing I had seen before, everyone passionately working together to help the business win. And the business is winning. Also, I get a discount at just about every place I have ever shopped in Kansas City. Kinda nice perk.

Cons

The benefits are not all that great other than the stock discount (this makes it attractive to leave after a few years when you realize retirement is not looking any better). The hard core culture often instilled from the very top can be very exhausting which is why you see a 24% annual turnover rate, a problem senior leadership fails to address. The reputation here is that they will work you to death, and if you are not careful burnout will happen fast. I would also like to mention the stories I have heard of public firings during corporate events. I have never witnessed this, but I see the fear all around me of losing your job for a mistake that has visibility to the top. The story goes that one associate answered a question poorly during a town hall and was let go the same day. Pretty awful stuff and bad way to run

Seriously evaluate the work-life balance problem that you force upon many of your associates. The young culture here is very nice, but the question always on my mind is, "Why is nobody technical on my team older than 25?"

Also, it seems like management is too quick to bail on an idea and hurry off to the next technology that they hear is the latest and greatest. As a result, there is a lot of "shelf-ware" that was halfway deployed and nobody was ever trained on, but we still invest hundreds of thousands annually in for licensing.

Growing in the right direction

Former Employee - Team Lead  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Cerner has a lot of positives going for it, a young workforce and lots of travel, for people who see that as a positive. The salaries are good initially for Kansas City considering the cost of living and the prospect of being promoted and moving up is certainly available. They company is certainly expanding and thinking beyond just EHR and has a bright future, exhibited both in the growth of its employees, its stock and its land and buildings that has been amassed in the Kansas City metro. Occasional happy hours and a relaxed dress code is a plus as well.

Cons

Cerner is growing to the wealth of dollars that government legislation has unleashed and thus it is still growing. The last time I heard they wanted 20,000 employees by the end of the decade, up from its current 14,000 global employees. With growth comes a lot of re-orgs and managers that are only a few years out of college, I was one of them and the lack of actual seniority and fluidity makes it difficult to have a steady mentor as well as someone that is actually experienced. Cerner is very dependent on your team or what role you're in, so many people's experience in AMS, Development, or Software could be wildly dependent on the teams that they are on.

There is definitely a work hard play hard attitude, with a focus on the work hard and many people work 60+ hours a week. There is definitely a need to step-back and realize that in Kansas city as a newer associate life at Cerner in a travel role is a very life encompassing job. Meaning that you are traveling a lot, working a lot, and there isn't that much left over.

For many people Kansas City in itself is a negative. I personally did not see it that way, but many people did or saw it as a temporary place to live.

Compensation is variable on your organization or what one person say and I personally saw a lot of people have situations where they are on the wrong team at the wrong time and got screwed over and their entire career growth stunted, merely based on situations.

Try to retain the people that want to be there. Even though the view of recent graduates and their expendable nature at Cerner is prevalent, these associates work hard and deserve recognition and fair compensation as they put in the time.

The sky is the limit

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Massive national and international growth, flexible, young, dynamic, creative culture. Lots of learning opportunities. Strategies aligned with industry and government trends, strong competitive advantages, exciting infrastructure expansion plans.

Cons

Lack of diversity at leadership levels, mostly white males from the mid west. Compensation growth not comparable with Sylicon Valley's average justified by lower cost of living in Kansas City.

Promote more diversity amongst leadership positions to grow the pool of experiences, ideas and points of view.

Good environment, innovative work force.

Current Employee - Solution Designer  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Solution Designer in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Cerner is a great company to work for. Laid back environment delivering solid web applications

Cons

Low salary with little room to increase pay.

Provide clients with realistic release dates as to not over work employees. Other than that, keep up the good work.

Love this company!

Current Employee - Learning Consultant  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Advancement opportunity, career movement, training, benefits, fitness centers, onsite clinic and pharmarcy

Cons

Project team communication - I frequently hear of key team members being left/forgotten of project meeting updates.

Consider ensuring project teams are pulled together through all phases of a project.

Great chance to learn

Pros

Cerner is a dynamic company with many different things going on at once. Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study.

Cons

Depending on the solution they place you with, you could be doing a LOT more travel than they tell you. The job frequently has obligations outside of the work day.

Exciting company, bad department

Pros

Cerner is absolutely on the forefront of the industry with amazing new ideas and technology. The benefits are also excellent (for young, healthy people, which is the vast majority of the company)

Cons

In consulting, prepare to work your tail off and travel more than they tell you when they hire you, and prepare to be, well, not prepared for everything they ask of you

trust people more

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!