Cetera Financial Group Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
24 reviews filtered by
2.6
Larry Roth

1. Amazing place to work. Very bright people who care about your career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Cetera Financial Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very smart people that deeply care about our clients (advisors). At a time of tremendous change, recent acqusitions have spurred growth! It's a financial services firm but knows how to also have some fun (happy hours, events, etc.) Casual dress (jeans).

Cons

Lots of change. Not a place for the someone who doesn't care to grow or wants to surf the net all day.

Communicate a little more. With all of the change, be sure to share where the company is headed.

Teetering on the brink of disaster

I have been working at Cetera Financial Group full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, you can wear jeans to work, and most employees seem to genuinely care about each other and support one another.

Cons

Constantly in a state of flux. It seems to get bought and sold every other year and leadership changes are just as frequent. The company is ridiculously understaffed yet employees who don't really contribute aren't held accountable. Salaries are on the low end, unless you're an executive with modest experience they overpay to join the company. The company is about to integrate other firms owned by its new parent company and the timelines for those projects are overaggressive and unrealistic. Career opportunities and upward mobility are minimal for a company this size.

The place is on the verge of spinning out of control. Look, you have some great people there who genuinely care about doing a good job. But they are practically all burned out. Hold the underperforming and nonperforming employees accountable already! Psychologically, you have lost most of the good employees already. Most are looking to leave. If you have any prayer of retaining the talent that will get you through integration with the new parent company, you have to start recognizing them and fairly compensating them.

3. Avoid this company at all costs. You do not want to work here.

I have been working at Cetera Financial Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They say they are leaders in technology. They say they care about employees. Other than that I can't think of a single thing.

Cons

Will task you with huge projects and expect you to work tons of overtime (salaried, so no payback). You expect you'll be recognized during your review, but no. They don't care one bit. You should be happy to donate your time. Your review will be nit-picked and you'll get cost of living. They don't reward hard work, they reward their favorites. This is a complaint I hear from every department. The way tasks are assigned goes like this: "How much do you know about this subject?" "Next to nothing." "Good! You're our new expert!" Then they are surprised when it's not rolled out the exact best way possible. Even when you've been pushing for a new system for years, they finally implement it, and your boss will take all the credit. The company brags about being a leader in technology, but they're so far behind it's laughable. I was dinged on my previous reviews for not have a specific knowledge, I asked repeatedly for training on the subject. Denied. Then I get dinged for it on my next review. No on the job training, no formal training. You should just know how to learn things on your own. You'll even get things from two or more years ago brought up on your review. Even though it's never happened again (and wasn't my fault to start with). Be prepared to be stressed all the time, and get spit in your face during review time. Run, don't walk, run from this company.

Stop the lip service. Everyone can smell the BS from a mile away. Put your money where your mouth is. This company is going to collapse under it's own weight. Middle management is worthless and can't handle the rapid growth.

5. Drama seekers: this firm is for you!

I worked at Cetera Financial Group

Pros

If you can't say something nice...well there may have been a gem within the leadership team that I wasn't aware of; overall nothing nice to contribute during my time with this firm.

Cons

This firm is very keen on creating and sustaining drama. Communication was terrible and it was obvious that if you didn't drink the kool aid you weren't going to go far.

Developing trust and creating a positive work environment for your employees would have be a great strategic initiative.

6. This is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Finance in Saint Cloud, MN
    Current Employee - Finance in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at Cetera Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work!

Cons

Does not offer flexible work schedules to all employees

7. Great supervisor

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Cetera Financial Group part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great supervisors who were willing to really teach you and help you in your career journey

Cons

Honestly, it was only a con because I realized I just don't want to go into the financial services industry

Blah

I have been working at Cetera Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is pretty good -- paid better than a lot of other companies

Cons

No growth or promotion opportunity is available.

Hire internally

9. Project Intern

Former Intern - Project Intern in El Segundo, CA
    Former Intern - Project Intern in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Cetera Financial Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good, challenging and dynamic environment

Cons

Not a place to grow, so not a place for freshers.

10. A company focused on growth.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Cetera Financial Group as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly work environment and community.

Cons

Employees are not the companies most important asset. They tend to hire from outside, so growth is difficult.

Hire from within.

WORST EXPERIENCE

Former Employee - Analyst in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Cetera Financial Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Give me a couple hours I may be able to come up with one, or maybe not

Cons

The managers and directors have no managerial or people skills

Hire people that have personal skills and know how to manage

Cetera Financial Group Photos