Challenger Gray

Be The First To
Add Photos

John A. Challenger

Challenging, autonomous, satisfying work

Job Coach (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsA change in management in the past year has made a huge difference in work/life balance, employee morale and ability to customize training sessions to the needs of each client. Helping people with their career transitions is very satisfying.

ConsConstant travel-which can be fun, can also be challenging especially in the winter. Work tends to ebb and flow with the beginning of each year being extremely busy and then summers much slower.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! Continue to provide regular training and development to coaches to stay on top of trends in the job marketplace.

Worst outplacement company ever

ProsThe coach had a few suggestions on how to answer some interview questions.

Cons1. Scheduling can be a pain as they don't follow up on changes to where you'll be meeting.
    2. The verbal and written material is geared towards the newbie.
    3. The handbook is an absolute joke as it has few pages with no useful information. You can find a lot more useful and pertinent information on the web.
    4. The resume writers are generic with a basic knowledge of using the "right" words and terminologies. I found that they stripped my resume and made the Summary and job descriptions better but they left out a lot more.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at the physical & online material they have to decide who their target audience is. I have over 15 years of experience and I strongly believe they're geared to the inexperienced crowd.

Best Place I've Ever Worked

Senior Vice President Sales (Current Employee)

ProsWe change peoples lives in a positive way and it works. So much better than the other guys, I know I worked there.

ConsWe are as dysfunctional as any other business or family.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Embarrassing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to help people, let you keep your frequent flier & hotel points.

ConsNo work-life balance, terrible pay, but worst of all- no transparency. The company is supposed to be all about helping people during a difficult time and assisting HR departments in doing the right thing by their employees, yet they don't even have an HR department. No benefits are provided, little vacation, and extremely low employee moral. The company has no desire to grow or train employees, and instead treats their client-facing (supposedly "most important") people as replaceable hourly workers. Steer clear.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with respect. It's starts from the CEO, who shmoozes with you when he sees you, but offers nothing to employees behind their backs. There is no existent middle-management, so no opportunities for growth- create these. Incentivize employees! Offer benefits! You will continue to lose your best talent.

If you like helping people, but don't mind being burned out.....work here

Job Search Coach (Current Employee)
    America, IL

ProsCoaching and helping others. The concepts and program is effective and really does work. The product that Challenger sells is an exceptional concept.

ConsFollow a rigid plan, micro-managed, no autonomy, no respect for employees well being. No raises, no benefits, and an easy 60-70 hour work week which includes 98% travel which is not luxurious.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the way you do business.

A deeply experienced, client-facing, sales team and best of breed job search coaches.

ProsYou can make a true impact on peoples lives while making (hard-earned) very competitive income.

ConsExpected to work hard and you're measured by outcomes.

Would return

Job Search Coach (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsPlenty of opportunities to learn new things. Also I enjoy to travel and you will be a road warrior if you take this job.

ConsSomewhat low pay. You will be coaching people that will be making 3x your salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry a little harder to retain the talent that you have instead of mass layoffs and mass hiring.

I enjoyed helping clients

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEach client was an individual with different needs and it was rewarding to help them at a difficult time.

ConsThe company is badly managed, with minimal predictable processes. The program is superficial and outdated and the training for coaches is out-of-date.

Advice to Senior ManagementStudy best practices for training adults, human resources, managing employees and job search, so you can upgrade your entire product.

Previous Job Search Coach for over 5 years, Chicago

Job Search Coach (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe concept and program is helpful and works.

ConsJob Coaches are treated like non-exempt hourly employees and micro-managed completely, but paid a flat monthly salary that never goes up. No room for growth and no benefits. Majority of coaches are older workers and need a job so they feel trapped.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet management that knows how to lead and treat people with respect.

Ugly truth

Job Search Coach (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat to work with diverse people who are in need of help.

ConsNo work-life balance, authoritarian management styles, lack of communication, revolving door

Worked for Challenger Gray? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Challenger Gray reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Challenger Gray CEO John A. Challenger. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Challenger Gray employees.