Challenger Gray

2.9

John A. Challenger

personalized support for clients

I have been working at Challenger Gray full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Continues to be focused on provided personalized support to clients, unlike other outplacement companies. Most of our programs include at least a full day in person with a client one-on-one. For the last year in particular, the executive team has been listening to employees and implementing strategies to improve morale and help us feel valued. Lots of professional development opportunities where we are provided updated information for today's job search to help our clients. Reasonable coach to client case load ratio - much less than the competition.

Cons

The salary is fairly low ( but there are year end bonuses and a weekly travel bonus). No benefits. The internal client management system website needs an overhaul.

Update the internal system so inputting notes is quicker and more efficient.

Decent to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Challenger Gray part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They fostered a team spirit attitude.

Cons

The challenge was that they weren't willing to pay local taxes outside of Iliinois.

Interviewed here--unimpressed

I have been working at Challenger Gray

Pros

None that I saw--but didn't work there...but the only options below are current and former employee.

Cons

Found the interviewer to be very condescending and disrespectful.

Treat people with respect.

Challenging, autonomous, satisfying work

Current Employee - Job Coach in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Challenger Gray full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A change in management in the past year has made a huge difference in work/life balance, employee morale and ability to customize training sessions to the needs of each client. Helping people with their career transitions is very satisfying.

Cons

Constant travel-which can be fun, can also be challenging especially in the winter. Work tends to ebb and flow with the beginning of each year being extremely busy and then summers much slower.

Keep up the good work! Continue to provide regular training and development to coaches to stay on top of trends in the job marketplace.

Worst outplacement company ever

I have been working at Challenger Gray

Pros

The coach had a few suggestions on how to answer some interview questions.

Cons

1. Scheduling can be a pain as they don't follow up on changes to where you'll be meeting.
    2. The verbal and written material is geared towards the newbie.
    3. The handbook is an absolute joke as it has few pages with no useful information. You can find a lot more useful and pertinent information on the web.
    4. The resume writers are generic with a basic knowledge of using the "right" words and terminologies. I found that they stripped my resume and made the Summary and job descriptions better but they left out a lot more.

Take a look at the physical & online material they have to decide who their target audience is. I have over 15 years of experience and I strongly believe they're geared to the inexperienced crowd.

Best Place I've Ever Worked

Current Employee - Senior Vice President Sales
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President Sales

I have been working at Challenger Gray full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We change peoples lives in a positive way and it works. So much better than the other guys, I know I worked there.

Cons

We are as dysfunctional as any other business or family.

Embarrassing

I worked at Challenger Gray full-time

Pros

Opportunity to help people, let you keep your frequent flier & hotel points.

Cons

No work-life balance, terrible pay, but worst of all- no transparency. The company is supposed to be all about helping people during a difficult time and assisting HR departments in doing the right thing by their employees, yet they don't even have an HR department. No benefits are provided, little vacation, and extremely low employee moral. The company has no desire to grow or train employees, and instead treats their client-facing (supposedly "most important") people as replaceable hourly workers. Steer clear.

Treat employees with respect. It's starts from the CEO, who shmoozes with you when he sees you, but offers nothing to employees behind their backs. There is no existent middle-management, so no opportunities for growth- create these. Incentivize employees! Offer benefits! You will continue to lose your best talent.

If you like helping people, but don't mind being burned out.....work here

Current Employee - Job Search Coach in America, IL
    Current Employee - Job Search Coach in America, IL

I have been working at Challenger Gray full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Coaching and helping others. The concepts and program is effective and really does work. The product that Challenger sells is an exceptional concept.

Cons

Follow a rigid plan, micro-managed, no autonomy, no respect for employees well being. No raises, no benefits, and an easy 60-70 hour work week which includes 98% travel which is not luxurious.

Change the way you do business.

A deeply experienced, client-facing, sales team and best of breed job search coaches.

I have been working at Challenger Gray full-time

Pros

You can make a true impact on peoples lives while making (hard-earned) very competitive income.

Cons

Expected to work hard and you're measured by outcomes.

Would return

Current Employee - Job Search Coach in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Challenger Gray full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to learn new things. Also I enjoy to travel and you will be a road warrior if you take this job.

Cons

Somewhat low pay. You will be coaching people that will be making 3x your salary.

Try a little harder to retain the talent that you have instead of mass layoffs and mass hiring.