Challenger School Reviews

Hugh Gourgeon

1. Teacher

Current Employee - Preschool Teacher
    Current Employee - Preschool Teacher

I have been working at Challenger School full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent school! Amazing curriculum. Really great teachers!

Cons

Supervisors/Directors are not the best I've worked for.

Advice to Management

People are people. Teachers have families, and private lives. Management needs to recognize the level of dedication that the teachers offer and be more flexible in supporting the teachers so that the turnover is not so high.

2. teacher

I worked at Challenger School full-time

Pros

You get a discount for your child if you work there. The curriculum was pretty good, it taught children to think for themselves

Cons

The management was obsessed with power, the individuals who got there were great at deceiving others, and only had their eye on money not students or parents. I heard many of them flat out lie about things to parents, and I've seen many teachers in tears because of the way they've been treated. While I was there I was told I wasn't allowed to tell parents if the children were struggling. I was to only point out the good things. If the pre school children did something mean to another child, we were not allowed to make them apologize. The management was constantly telling us something different, and lacked consistency. The teachers were over worked and underpaid.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. Learn Barber Bakers ways and go back to them. Realize you're dealing with humans and not just money.

Excellent Curriculum

Former Employee - Teacher in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Teacher in Boise, ID

I worked at Challenger School full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was on the low side, but close to the market. Outstanding school, far superior to public schools. Emphasis on personal responsibility. Great parent involvement.

Cons

Management was a little scattered.

Wonderful place to work. It is much more than an 8-5, it is a culture.

Current Employee - Teacher in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Teacher in Sandy, UT

I have been working at Challenger School full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent environment if you want to be a teacher, because you value education. Plus, if you have children, you get free tuition along with a paycheck. Love it.

Cons

Any cons you would experience I think you would experience at any job containing a collection of people: people can be negative and the curriculum department often contradicts campus management.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't change much. Professional development opportunities are always appreciated.

Proof positive that higher expectations breed higher performance.

I have been working at Challenger School full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Where else can you work for such a noble mission? Challenger employees are among some of the most intelligent individuals I've ever met. Every teacher seems to deeply care about their classroom and each student's success. In addition to other benefits, I'm able to send my own child to Challenger at a significant discount. I've been personally astounded by Challenger's product as I've seen my own son's progress in the preschool and elementary program.

Cons

I've found transparency to be lacking on some levels. However, being an optimist at heart, any slight failing of Challenger pales in comparison to the year-in and year-out accomplishment of its mission in leading its students to find joy and self-worth through embracing challenge and its consequential achievement.

Advice to Management

Continue to essentialize Challenger's mission, values, and methodology, aligning operational priorities accordingly. Continue to maintain high expectations in the recruitment process of employees and students in order to ensure long-term success for Challenger.

Worst place to work if you are honest. Best place to climb ladder if you can deceive and disillusion parents and staff.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Challenger School

Pros

Send only if you want your child to memorize lessons, and have no practical application of it and lets not forget for the desi community.

Cons

Company values have degraded after Barbara Baker's death. Top management wants to fill their buckets with money. Power hungry directors are biased and racist. They do not take requests of teachers into consideration. Hitler rule adopted by some headmasters.

Advice to Management

No advice: keep up your dirty work.

Disgruntled Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Challenger School full-time

Pros

I took a job teaching at Challenger for two reasons: (A) Barbara Baker's vision, and (B) the tuition discount for teachers.

Cons

Now that Barbara Baker is deceased, the company is going DOWNHILL FAST. Barbara Baker had a true vision as an educator, but the jerks now in charge ONLY care about how much MONEY they can make! This explains why Challenger now plans to ELIMINATE our teacher's discount. I urge ALL teachers to go forward with the planned "teacher's strike" to protest Challenger's greedy corporatized ways!!

Advice to Management

Advice to management? That's a joke! Management does NOT even have an employee suggestion box! They don't give a hoot about advice from others. Management fails to understand that Barbara Baker's vision has lasted 50+ years! And while the short-sighted, cheapskate policies of Mr. Gourgeon may save a few pennies on the quarterly reports, his current slash 'n burn policies will put Challenger out of business in 18 months... Oh, and did I mention that management are a bunch of bigots and racists?

9. Headmaster

Current Employee - Headmaster
    Current Employee - Headmaster

I have been working at Challenger School full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with a team who cares about educating children to the highest standard, and preparing children for life.

Cons

Finding genuine, reliable, intelligent people to carry out the mission.

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain the integrity of Challenger's superior product!

Great Students and General Curriculum, Management and Adherence to Explicit Values...not so much

Former Employee - Middle School Science/Math Teacher
    Former Employee - Middle School Science/Math Teacher

I worked at Challenger School full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The curriculum is dynamic and exciting, and the students generally very bright and willing to work. Loved exploring science in particular with them. Coworkers are supportive and willing to help "the new guy" to learn the ropes. Probably some of the best co-workers I've had...ever! Pay is determined based on results/perceived potential, which can be either good or bad depending on management (see below).

Cons

Management unwilling to provide additional training, taking the attitude "we'll tell you about it and show you some videos and that should do it." Also unwilling to work with employees suffering from emotional trauma. I was fired 3 days before the end of the school year...probably so they didn't have to pay my benefits, which included therapy, over the summer. The values the company espouses are great, such as independent exploration and learning, accountability, etc., but their application of said values to management actions and curriculum are less than satisfactory. Surveys given in the classroom to assess progress of student "democratic ideals" are biased toward libertarian views even as they claim to be "unbiased." Frequently refer to teachers as "cream of the crop" but don't treat them that way. Sometimes "encourage" "problem" teachers to leave.

Advice to Management

Listen to your teachers! They are your bread and butter, and have legitimate ideas! Even if you don't personally see things their way, at least give them a chance. If a teacher has to teach to the provided corporate test for students to pass, but do fine on tests in the book, the corporate test is probably TOO HARD. I understand wanting the students to progress, but many times the tests are so completely outside their range of experience that it takes MONTHS for them to acclimate to them, not to mention hours of teacher preparation to prepare practice problems that test the same concepts. Also, allow outgoing teachers to pass on materials to those coming in. Makes the transition much easier and takes the pressure off while they are figuring out the ropes. Reassess management application of Challenger Values, especially in treatment of teachers.

Great place to work at this time.

Current Employee - Kindergarten Teacher
    Current Employee - Kindergarten Teacher

I have been working at Challenger School part-time

Pros

Really helping kids every day.

Cons

None at this time today.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people