Chamberlain College of Nursing

CEO

Enjoyed my time at Chamberlain

Former Employee - Federal Work Study Student Lab Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Federal Work Study Student Lab Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chamberlain College of Nursing part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the Lab Specialist who were or are RN's on their specialty unit.

Cons

Challenge for me was balancing school, work and home life.

Stable Job, but limited growth

I have been working at Chamberlain College of Nursing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am never worried about my position here. The seem to keep employees around, even the seemingly unstable ones. I'm not sure if its loyalty or laziness, but definitely nice to not have to worry about job security.

Cons

There is very limited opportunities for growth in this company, from my experience. There is also a lot of unprofessionalism here.

I think it would be nice if leadership could be evaluated by their subordinates, to keep them on task.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chamberlain College of Nursing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This was my first real job out of college; I've worked in their RN-BSN admissions department for nearly a year. Great place to work - I love my coworkers first and foremost and have really made some lasting friendships here. Standard 40 hour work week, fantastic benefits package, and management communicates with you and treats you fairly. I always feel as though I am respected and part of a team and enjoy coming to work.

Cons

The work itself is quite repetitive and it seems very competitive and difficult to move up or grow within the company. It is a very numbers oriented workplace and can be stressful at times if you do not produce.

Great company to really make a difference.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Chamberlain College of Nursing (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are a nurse educator, lots of opportunity.

Cons

If your not a nurse, you will forever be a second class citizen.

Appreciate the hard working people you have. Too many good ones have left because they aren't appreciated.

Great place to work and give your life away

Current Employee - Instructor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Atlanta, GA

Pros

there is room for growth, culture is campus specific. Our campus is good. able to act independently. not micromanaged.

Cons

more than 40+ work week. required to check emails even on weekends. little say into how decisions are made. Little input into schedule for each session.

identify a better work life balance. the current balance, especially for faculty is tilted in favor of the school, not life. Allow faculty to adjust the schedule.

A culture of care!

I have been working at Chamberlain College of Nursing full-time

Pros

The organization is committed to developing, maintaining, and differentiating the colleague and student experience through a culture focused on care! This includes an orientation program that is devoted to this foundation and it all starts with learning care for self as well as balancing self, career and life! Chamberlain takes it a step further and through modeling this behavior shapes current and future nurses who ultimately will bring this compentency of care to patients throughout the world. What an awesome place to call "work"!

Cons

The organization is growing, with growth - building or maintaining culture can be difficult. Yet, Chamberlain is up to the challenge and doing the right things! And who else in this industry is growing?!

Keep up the excellent, or shall I use the words - extraordinary initiatives to achieve the vision!

Very Honest Review from Admissions Advisor

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor

I have been working at Chamberlain College of Nursing full-time

Pros

I am providing a very honest review here, as I have read previous reviews and don't think Chamberlain is completely an A+ company or place to work, but also don't think its a bottom of the barrel type of company or work environment. One of the biggest pro's about working at Chamberlain is although they are a for-profit education company, unlike their sister company Devry and other for-profit institutions, they are legit. They are fully accredited and a do not have a bad reputation. Unlike most inside sales jobs, you will actually feel decent about selling the product here, as you are not selling worthless paper like Devry and most other for-profits. This is one sales job that will let you sleep at night peacefully with the peace of mind that you didn't work 9-5 selling snake oil. They also offer good pay and great benefits for an inside sales job. All the co-workers are friendly and unique people. You also get more freedom, as far as flexibility with your schedule, time off, etc than most other inside sales jobs. You will gain valuable experience on how to sell or perform inside sales, which would definitely come in handy if you want to continue to work in sales in the future. There are some opportunities still to get pay increases and get promoted if along with your performance you do the right things, which are discussed in the cons section below.

Cons

Now, as there are pros, there are also a lot of negatives that come along with working at Chamberlain. I have been working here for a while and things are constantly changing. It seems like it is a very different company each year. Its a pain to constantly have to keep adjusting. I myself have done very well here, and although I am good at being an admissions advisor and have great skill, you still have to "play the game" especially with management in this place. There isn't too much to the job because 80% of the leads belong in the dumpster, 15% are very good leads that will go to school even if they don't speak with an admissions advisor, and the other 5% are the ones on the fence and take good sales skills to convince to enroll at Chamberlain. This is what separates the good advisors from the average to bad ones. However, even if you are a top advisor in closing the 5% of the on the fence/below average leads if you don't engage in their politics, at the best case scenario you will just hold on to your job but never get a raise or get promoted, etc. This is very unfortunate, but it is just how the culture is here. Also, even though I am well liked and get a long with management, I must honestly say that management is pretty terrible. The place needs a 40-50% haircut at the management level. Everyone has them figured out, and you can tell what they are going to do or say before they even do it. Very easy to read. They also will do things that are very blatant, like giving someone that doesn't play the game all the crappy leads, or bad scores on their lead interviews or find little ways to constantly screw them over so they will get fired, etc, and even have the guts to try and cover it up. They must think that nobody knows or at least their good advisors don't know or care, but I got some news. Maybe we might not be as blatant as you, and even kiss a little bit of ass, but believe me we can read this place like a book and know what's going on, and do care about the treatment of our fellow advisors and friends, but obviously we don't want to end up like them or some of our other cubicle mates and continue to play our own game. Other than management or some of the work culture there aren't really other cons. However, this job isn't for someone that is seasoned good salesman, or doing well at their current inside sales job. Its an ideal job for fresh grads, and a good job for someone working inside sales that wants to move in to a different industry and/or get more money and better benefits.

As I mentioned you need to do some trimming at the management level. Some are nice people and who I would consider friends, but honestly do not have management skills. Also, do a more complete unbiased analysis of your company's talent, instead of relying on management's word. You have some very skilled people that have gotten fired or are quitting, or looking elsewhere because they are very professional people that don't engage in Management's political culture, but they are very skilled admissions advisors, and if given equal opportunity as the current top advisors that are well liked they can really do well for the company.

No room for growth or longevity.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Miramar, FL
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Miramar, FL

I worked at Chamberlain College of Nursing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People in other departments and faculty were very professional and helpful.

Cons

Management is not direct and truthful. My director felt threatened when I would show initiative.

My role seems to be short lived. Perhaps telling this to future candidates would be an honest start. I found out the person before me lasted around the same time.

Great place to work!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Culture is very diverse. Staff is professional and caring towards student's sucess. Recognizes employees for their achievements on a monthly bases.

Cons

NO CONS!! Great place work!!

Management does a great job in recognizing their employees for their hard work.

Take advantage of them, don't let them take advantage of you

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Addison, IL
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Addison, IL

Pros

Your co-workers for the most part are very nice and fun people to know and work with. Also, benefits, such as days off, 401K match, vacation time, etc is good. Lastly, you will get a guaranteed base salary.

Cons

Too many to list, but I have broken is down so a potential employee would know what to expect and how to behave to get the most of working there:

First of all, it is an extremely political environment, where you don't want be the person that questions anything, and DONT EVER QUESTION any ADA or D.A. big no no. Instead, swallow your pride, and drink the "Kool-Aid." This will allow you to get promoted, get good raises/reviews, and just be on managements good side, at the very least it will allow you to keep your job and be a lifer there even if you are the worst at your job. The "admissions advisor" role is a telemarketing/inside sales job that requires no skill to perform. They can basically put anyone in there and soon enough they will be able to perform the job. This is because the leads are given out by management, and there is no marketing or hunting that can be done on your part. You have to work with what management give you, and they give the good leads to, you guessed it... the Kool-Aid drinkers. There is a big discrepancy in leads. The good leads for the most part are the ones that call in or apply through the chamberlain website, or inquire through google, etc. After this, the other 98-99% of the leads are garbage that they waste there money on and are not interested, or even never inquired. Also, the D.A.'s and A.D.A's are very lazy and have the most "sit back, put your feet up" type of job. A lot of them would never make it even as admissions advisors today, but they were there when Chamberlain was just launching so basically got put into management by default or the newer ones by clout. I want go into more detail, but there are a couple of A.D.A.'s who if you get transferred to there team, it most likely means you will get fired. They are notorious for sending or trading people to these A.D.A.'s teams who they want to get rid off. It seems like they still keep them A.D.A's for that reason.

Secondly, there is really no room for growth or to make any kind of big money. The for-profit education industry has been under the radar from the government for a while, and its continuing to be scrutinized. The fly by days for Chamberlain, Devry, and its counterparts are over. Don't expect anything but to keep your job and keep working there for few years and getting a 0-3% raise yearly. Management, will try to brainwash and dangle the carrot in front of you by telling you that you will get promoted and are on the fast track or in their special program to be in management. Don't believe the BS, use your own knowledge to realize and understand where the industry and company is headed, and that's in the dumps. Therefore, again just kiss ass and meet the required number to dials and talk hours you are suppose to get daily, and work there for a few years collecting a guaranteed base salary of about 40-45K and move on. You will look very good to your next company because more and more hiring managers from other companies are realizing that this is a pretty hardcore sales job when you take away the smoke & mirrors and the "front" that they put on, and for you to be working here 2+ years looks good to another company for their sales role, which you might be able to earn a lot and make a career out of.

Finally, even if you are drinking the Kool-Aid realize at the end of the day you are still just another number just like the students. No loyalty at all. They will demote you without notice, or lay you off and/or fire you if you are making too much money and they need to cut salary. They will also treat you like a potential student and keep asking you questions about your motivation, goals etc. Just always say you want to be in management that's your goal. Bottom line use them more than they use you and you will get the most out of this place.

You have a lot of good employees that are very intelligent, articulate and can improve your sales number and student satisfaction, as well, as improving the brand name overall. Use these peoples talent to the fullest extent. Don't play politics all the time, it will really burn you in the end. 90% of the people couldn't care about the Admissions Advisor role and are putting on a front for you. Instead, of firing or laying off Admissions Advisor, get rid of the useless management personnel. At least you will save more on benefits and pay. They don't do a thing but make the job worse for everyone. You ever notice when they are on vacation for a couple of weeks that your production and numbers go up? Truly a waste of money and benefits.