Chamberlain College of Nursing

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Great place to work!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCulture is very diverse. Staff is professional and caring towards student's sucess. Recognizes employees for their achievements on a monthly bases.

ConsNO CONS!! Great place work!!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does a great job in recognizing their employees for their hard work.

Very Honest Review from Admissions Advisor

Admissions Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsI am providing a very honest review here, as I have read previous reviews and don't think Chamberlain is completely an A+ company or place to work, but also don't think its a bottom of the barrel type of company or work environment. One of the biggest pro's about working at Chamberlain is although they are a for-profit education company, unlike their sister company Devry and other for-profit institutions, they are legit. They are fully accredited and a do not have a bad reputation. Unlike most inside sales jobs, you will actually feel decent about selling the product here, as you are not selling worthless paper like Devry and most other for-profits. This is one sales job that will let you sleep at night peacefully with the peace of mind that you didn't work 9-5 selling snake oil. They also offer good pay and great benefits for an inside sales job. All the co-workers are friendly and unique people. You also get more freedom, as far as flexibility with your schedule, time off, etc than most other inside sales jobs. You will gain valuable experience on how to sell or perform inside sales, which would definitely come in handy if you want to continue to work in sales in the future. There are some opportunities still to get pay increases and get promoted if along with your performance you do the right things, which are discussed in the cons section below.

ConsNow, as there are pros, there are also a lot of negatives that come along with working at Chamberlain. I have been working here for a while and things are constantly changing. It seems like it is a very different company each year. Its a pain to constantly have to keep adjusting. I myself have done very well here, and although I am good at being an admissions advisor and have great skill, you still have to "play the game" especially with management in this place. There isn't too much to the job because 80% of the leads belong in the dumpster, 15% are very good leads that will go to school even if they don't speak with an admissions advisor, and the other 5% are the ones on the fence and take good sales skills to convince to enroll at Chamberlain. This is what separates the good advisors from the average to bad ones. However, even if you are a top advisor in closing the 5% of the on the fence/below average leads if you don't engage in their politics, at the best case scenario you will just hold on to your job but never get a raise or get promoted, etc. This is very unfortunate, but it is just how the culture is here. Also, even though I am well liked and get a long with management, I must honestly say that management is pretty terrible. The place needs a 40-50% haircut at the management level. Everyone has them figured out, and you can tell what they are going to do or say before they even do it. Very easy to read. They also will do things that are very blatant, like giving someone that doesn't play the game all the crappy leads, or bad scores on their lead interviews or find little ways to constantly screw them over so they will get fired, etc, and even have the guts to try and cover it up. They must think that nobody knows or at least their good advisors don't know or care, but I got some news. Maybe we might not be as blatant as you, and even kiss a little bit of ass, but believe me we can read this place like a book and know what's going on, and do care about the treatment of our fellow advisors and friends, but obviously we don't want to end up like them or some of our other cubicle mates and continue to play our own game. Other than management or some of the work culture there aren't really other cons. However, this job isn't for someone that is seasoned good salesman, or doing well at their current inside sales job. Its an ideal job for fresh grads, and a good job for someone working inside sales that wants to move in to a different industry and/or get more money and better benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs I mentioned you need to do some trimming at the management level. Some are nice people and who I would consider friends, but honestly do not have management skills. Also, do a more complete unbiased analysis of your company's talent, instead of relying on management's word. You have some very skilled people that have gotten fired or are quitting, or looking elsewhere because they are very professional people that don't engage in Management's political culture, but they are very skilled admissions advisors, and if given equal opportunity as the current top advisors that are well liked they can really do well for the company.

No room for growth or longevity.

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Miramar, FL

ProsPeople in other departments and faculty were very professional and helpful.

ConsManagement is not direct and truthful. My director felt threatened when I would show initiative.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy role seems to be short lived. Perhaps telling this to future candidates would be an honest start. I found out the person before me lasted around the same time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Take advantage of them, don't let them take advantage of you

Admissions Advisor (Current Employee) Addison, IL

ProsYour co-workers for the most part are very nice and fun people to know and work with. Also, benefits, such as days off, 401K match, vacation time, etc is good. Lastly, you will get a guaranteed base salary.

ConsToo many to list, but I have broken is down so a potential employee would know what to expect and how to behave to get the most of working there:

First of all, it is an extremely political environment, where you don't want be the person that questions anything, and DONT EVER QUESTION any ADA or D.A. big no no. Instead, swallow your pride, and drink the "Kool-Aid." This will allow you to get promoted, get good raises/reviews, and just be on managements good side, at the very least it will allow you to keep your job and be a lifer there even if you are the worst at your job. The "admissions advisor" role is a telemarketing/inside sales job that requires no skill to perform. They can basically put anyone in there and soon enough they will be able to perform the job. This is because the leads are given out by management, and there is no marketing or hunting that can be done on your part. You have to work with what management give you, and they give the good leads to, you guessed it... the Kool-Aid drinkers. There is a big discrepancy in leads. The good leads for the most part are the ones that call in or apply through the chamberlain website, or inquire through google, etc. After this, the other 98-99% of the leads are garbage that they waste there money on and are not interested, or even never inquired. Also, the D.A.'s and A.D.A's are very lazy and have the most "sit back, put your feet up" type of job. A lot of them would never make it even as admissions advisors today, but they were there when Chamberlain was just launching so basically got put into management by default or the newer ones by clout. I want go into more detail, but there are a couple of A.D.A.'s who if you get transferred to there team, it most likely means you will get fired. They are notorious for sending or trading people to these A.D.A.'s teams who they want to get rid off. It seems like they still keep them A.D.A's for that reason.

Secondly, there is really no room for growth or to make any kind of big money. The for-profit education industry has been under the radar from the government for a while, and its continuing to be scrutinized. The fly by days for Chamberlain, Devry, and its counterparts are over. Don't expect anything but to keep your job and keep working there for few years and getting a 0-3% raise yearly. Management, will try to brainwash and dangle the carrot in front of you by telling you that you will get promoted and are on the fast track or in their special program to be in management. Don't believe the BS, use your own knowledge to realize and understand where the industry and company is headed, and that's in the dumps. Therefore, again just kiss ass and meet the required number to dials and talk hours you are suppose to get daily, and work there for a few years collecting a guaranteed base salary of about 40-45K and move on. You will look very good to your next company because more and more hiring managers from other companies are realizing that this is a pretty hardcore sales job when you take away the smoke & mirrors and the "front" that they put on, and for you to be working here 2+ years looks good to another company for their sales role, which you might be able to earn a lot and make a career out of.

Finally, even if you are drinking the Kool-Aid realize at the end of the day you are still just another number just like the students. No loyalty at all. They will demote you without notice, or lay you off and/or fire you if you are making too much money and they need to cut salary. They will also treat you like a potential student and keep asking you questions about your motivation, goals etc. Just always say you want to be in management that's your goal. Bottom line use them more than they use you and you will get the most out of this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a lot of good employees that are very intelligent, articulate and can improve your sales number and student satisfaction, as well, as improving the brand name overall. Use these peoples talent to the fullest extent. Don't play politics all the time, it will really burn you in the end. 90% of the people couldn't care about the Admissions Advisor role and are putting on a front for you. Instead, of firing or laying off Admissions Advisor, get rid of the useless management personnel. At least you will save more on benefits and pay. They don't do a thing but make the job worse for everyone. You ever notice when they are on vacation for a couple of weeks that your production and numbers go up? Truly a waste of money and benefits.

I was an Admissions Advisor who was promoted to Sr. Admissions Advisor.

Senior Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) Addison, IL

ProsGood benefits, you can essentially go to Keller or Devry for free, only having to deal with the tax ramifications. Young workforce. Good foot in the door job to Admissions. If you're using it as a stepping stone into recruiting or other sales jobs though, be prepared to sell the job as a sales job. This is a very big challenge. Most people don't see this as a sales/recruiting job.

ConsIt's a glorified Inside Sales role. Very monotonous, and very standardized. If you've got any ideas of innovating the position, leave those behind. If you have ideas of going from admissions to marketing, accounting, or another department, don't hold your breath. Once you're in Admissions, they see you as Admissions, and for the most part you're staying there. The place is very political, so if you want to move up even just to a Sr. Advisor, be prepared to kiss some low-level management behinds. There are a lot of unhappy Advisors who are stuck there, because they can't transfer this experience anywhere other than Admissions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your human resources; you have a lot of talent in the building you're doing nothing with. You bring in people with no background in education to manage, and advisors lose respect for the role, the company, and from the get-go have little to no respect for the manager.

Very good experience teaching online!

Online Adjunct Professor (Current Employee)

ProsGreat, helpful faculty managers and co-workers. Flexible schedule.

ConsAdjunct pay. Some students reviews, no matter how hard you work.

Great company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Addison, IL

ProsWork life balance is excellent.

ConsNone at this time. Company is growing.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Great!

ProsGreat money. great coworkers to be arounf.

ConsVery sales orientated and stressful.

Normal

Student Service Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsThe working environment was comfortable and friendly co-workers.

ConsThe workload was busy with alot of student followups

Great entry level for new career in academia.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsFriendly co-workers & creativity embraced

ConsMicro-management style of many leaders

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more autonomy

Worked for Chamberlain College of Nursing? Contribute to the Community!