Champion Learning Center

CEO

1. Work as a CLC Tutor

Current Employee - Tutor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I have been working at Champion Learning Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Project Manager was very helpful.

Cons

The pay rate was low considering travel times were usually between 1 to 1.5 hours.

2. Low pay, but plenty of freedom and great kids. Reporting hours is unpaid, and can be timely.

Former Employee - Tutor

Pros

Choice of location/clients. Decent curriculum/material (at least minimizes unpaid prep time). Great kids, though idk if the company deserves credit for that.

Cons

Low pay, and supervisors are often short-lived, leaving entry level tutors high and dry (since there's little support beyond immediate supervisor).

Advice to Management

Tutors do nearly 100% of the work; thus, they deserve a bit more than 15% of the revenue they earn.

3. No chance for growth

Former Employee - Tutor

Pros

Flexible Schedule, great students to work with

Cons

Compensation mediocre Growth selective among favorites, no chance to grow

5. It was good while it lasted

Former Employee - Home Tutor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Home Tutor in New York, NY

I worked at Champion Learning Center part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I felt good working here because I felt like I was making a change in economically challenged communities.

Cons

The program ended a few years ago.

Advice to Management

Find a way to get money to fund this program.

6. Wonderful managers and they were so helpful with lesson plans

I worked at Champion Learning Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

being able to work with the children and the environment was very challenging but rewarding due to the varying ages. being able to have somewhat of a flexible schedule was a great option as well. very good potential working for this company.

Cons

the restricted scheduling , there was freedom to work with the kids of varying ages but at times it was challenges with some of the children . traveling also at times was an issue to get between cases

Advice to Management

nothing great job

7. Too bad good things come to an end

I worked at Champion Learning Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked withing great program managers, who always met my criteria in selecting students to tutor. The communication between manager, me and students/parents was impeccable.

Cons

There were not any cons. The only issue is that the funding for the program for underprivileged students stopped coming in, so the program had to shut down.

8. Unique, Independent

I worked at Champion Learning Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best part was helping out students who are struggling in different subject areas. As a tutor you are completely independent and out in the field. You set your own schedule with the parents and as long as you stick to it and complete the required weekly hours, everything is fine. Compensation was ok, and can increase with teaching licence. Usually, the students who are assigned to you are within short traveling distance.

Cons

As a tutor, you are actually contracted, not a direct employee. That means there are no benefits whatsoever. Often, program managers will beat and hassle tutors for problems out of their control, such as parents or students not being present for designated sessions. Limited to only 3 hour sessions per student, which in some cases isn't enough. No promotion or advancement as a returning tutor. If by any chance the designated students are far, traveling will be a nightmare.

Advice to Management

More incentives for hard working and high performing tutors.

9. No longer in business

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager

I worked at Champion Learning Center full-time

Pros

Summers off, opportunity to help struggling students,

Cons

there was no human resource dept., overtime pay, 401K, or job security. Employees who burned out were normally fired

Advice to Management

Your lack of concern for your employees and clients led to the demise of what could have been a very promising opportunity for students. Shame on you.

10. Champion gave me the opportunity to begin a career as a tutor.

Former Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I worked at Champion Learning Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was assigned students to tutor, given an increased number when I showed that I did a good job, and allowed to use my own lesson materials and post tests. My program director was a complete pleasure to deal with.

Cons

The company's materials are boring, poorly written, and riddled with errors.

Advice to Management

Get better materials.

11. Stepping Stone

Former Employee - Certified Teacher Tutor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Certified Teacher Tutor in New York, NY

I worked at Champion Learning Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours are flexible. My supervisor was delightful. When she realized I was a capable tutor, she increased the number of students she assigned me.

Cons

The textbooks are boring, poorly written, and riddled with errors. Pay could be better. Federal money paid for tutoring, and that money is no longer available in NYC.

Advice to Management

The text books are no good. It would be better to use well written books the company has not published than poor books with the company's name on them.

RSS Feed </> Embed